Fed Up with so called 'Tourist Attractions'

Pilotman

I have just about had it with Thailand's made up tourist attractions, especially those in and around Pattaya, they are expensive and of a very poor standard.  They may be okay for the Chinese tourists, but for the western taste they are in my view a very poor addition to Thailand's  real attractions, temples, historic sites and natural parks an d outdoor areas. Any other views, or perhaps you know of attractions that really are up to standard and the money?    

• Like 1

LOL...it's supply and demand, don't go to them and they will fade away. I would list some horrendous ones for you, but i'd likely end up in court, nowadays you have to use websites like trust pilot, however for every negative review posted the business owners post 10 positives.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I have just about had it with Thailand's made up tourist attractions, especially those in and around Pattaya, they are expensive and of a very poor standard.

And they are, of course, all the more expensive for us farangs in the case of "attractions" such as the Million Years Stone Park & Crocodile Farm in Pattaya, where we are charged an enhanced admission price for the "privilege".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

And they are, of course, all the more expensive for us farangs in the case of "attractions" such as the Million Years Stone Park & Crocodile Farm in Pattaya, where we are charged an enhanced admission price for the "privilege".

I'm not sure why anyone goes to any of them, including the swelteringly hot and overrun Palace and the famous Bangkok temples, more than once or twice when they first come here as a tourist. Why would you? There are umpteen more interesting things to do once one knows one's way around a little.

Just now, samsensam said:

having travelled to 50+ countries and worked in half a dozen i can say with certainty that by far the best tourist attractions are those you find in the natural world, they may take a bit more effort but they beat paid for destinations any time

Agreed. I think it is called The Road Less Traveled. Generally the people you meet are a little more 'real' as well.

• Like 1

All comes down to the individual really. I have never been a beech person, I like to explore inland. I think it's because I get some degree of 'achievement' from learning something new and to me, the beech doesn't offer that. Yes, I've been out to some of the islands, done some canoeing etc. but there you are, I'm doing something. But if you are with a Thai family you'd probably find they like going from one temple to another and I admit, that can be a little boring. Having said that, if you suggest that you'd like visit a certain view or cave etc. you'd probably them enthusiastic.

Simple, if you don't like a restaurant, an attraction, a club, a bar (or a girl !!), just don't give them your money anymore.

Hopefully others will feel and do the same and it will put people back in their place.
Only slight problem is that you can't tell anyone for fear of a defamation case.
  • Like 1

I generally ignore tourist promotional websites and promotional materials. A look at recommendations on Tripadvisor is often helpful. It also depends on whether you prefer popular Thai attractions or those mainly for foreigners and whether yoh like quiet, natural places or busy, lively places. I`d never go to Pattaya or Patong, Phuket or the Sukhumvit Rd shopping malls but for others these are their highlights.

5 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Well that’s where the growth market is...But I do agree they are of poor taste and quality.  Try one of the many Swiss sheep farms....you won’t regret it and promise yourself never again......I promise......?

Are their actually any sheep in Switzerland? I thought it was all cows and gnomes.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Are their actually any sheep in Switzerland? I thought it was all cows and gnomes.

I wondered the same but they are everywhere here. When you google ‘Swiss sheep farm’, the only finds are all in Thailand ?.  I know the people here do have a weird fascination for Switzerland , which I really don’t get  but they seem to love it. 

Just re editing..thinking on it...it’s the Dow . More chance of the jackpot % wise per head of the Swiss population.... I suppose.

Edited by goldenbrwn1

1 hour ago, Blackheart1916 said:

I have travelled a lot more, and I stand by my opinion that in a lot of aspects Thailand is a third world country. This taxi/ insurance/ medical debacle demonstrates that perfectly.

Oh God, here we go again.

1 hour ago, Blackheart1916 said:

I have travelled a lot more, and I stand by my opinion that in a lot of aspects Thailand is a third world country. This taxi/ insurance/ medical debacle demonstrates that perfectly.

But... but... but... have you ever seen the marvellous malls here ?  1st world !!!

Back to topic: In my area there is a big sign with an arrow, saying

"Tourist Attraction".

If you follow the arrow you get to an enormous waterfall. 49 cm during rainy season.

Edited by maximillian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I wondered the same but they are everywhere here. When you google ‘Swiss sheep farm’, the only finds are all in Thailand ?.  I know the people here do have a weird fascination for Switzerland , which I really don’t get  but they seem to love it. 

Just re editing..thinking on it...it’s the Dow . More chance of the jackpot % wise per head of the Swiss population.... I suppose.

Swiss Sheep and Dutch Windmills all over Thailand. Sooo nice.

18 minutes ago, maximillian said:

Swiss Sheep and Dutch Windmills all over Thailand. Sooo nice.

Isn't some tawt building an upside-down house just out of Pattaya, on the road to the vineyard?