Weakness looms for ThaiBev's earnings as Thailand stays sober

webfact

It must; in some part; be down to the fact that there is a different demographic amongst tourists. There are fewer Western tourists who have a reputation for knocking it back and there are more and more Chinese, who seem to be very light drinkers.

5 hours ago, crazyk said:

Main reasons why is less tourists due to all the scams & attacks shown in social media.the exchange rate.the 2 tier pricing.dirty beaches.price of beer even before the tax hike.also there's no decent thai women anymore.they're either fat or katoeys & most bars pad your bin.if you complain a thug attacks you.happenned to me by a bouncer in a beach road bar near soi8.did a sneaky from behind but he got a shock when i got up as he still was reining blows at me & then i twatted him.i was surprised th taxi drivers 2 bars down or the thugs that play snooker in the back near the toilets didn't jump me.then i thiught he must be a bad un with them.i was telling somebody about it & he said that he does it all the time with older customers.typical thai thug.i am in my mid 50's & had 11 beers thats why i became a victim.i have 10 beers before my first pee then drink another 10 or 20

Thank you for that excellent post. I too can drink several beers before I need to go to the toilet.

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Weakness looms for ThaiBev's earnings as Thailand stays sober

If the volume of drunken driving related crashes and injuries here is any indication, the locals aren't staying THAT sober, notwithstanding the overly optimistic headline.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is still not in the mood for drinking

Thai people drinking and driving every day I see it on jomtien beach every night they come with car and play big music drinking Hong tong and police do absolutely nothing to prevent Thai people driving mao home and they still not respect the signs no music police is just not work here Thai men are alcoholic 

• Haha 1

Well the story is about beer and a desire for sobriety but little was said of the taxes and their impact. My Mrs used to enjoy a nightly glass of red from the carton in the fridge that I bought every month, but due to recent price hikes, and them being diluted with 'juice', that won't be happening in the future.

My beer consumption is down due to similar reasons and insane markups outside the home.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

Leo here works out just under 100b a litre from local cash n carry.fosters,carling  in uk supermarket 60b a litre.so someone here is making big money.in fact very big money when you look at the over heads in the uk.business tax,vat,salaries,transportation.

Edited by happy chappie
Spelling

21 hours ago, sukhumvitneon said:

Sadly, the mass market American lagers make Thai beer seem like a high end product.

I didn't find Chang to be that bad honestly, but Leo sucked.  I also tried "U" lager beer and it was absolutely dreadful.

It isn't 1980 any more, There's a fantastic choice of beer available in America these days so you don't need to go near the mass market products. Unlike in Thailand, where the law inhibits small brewers and the most exotic beer you'll find in the local convenience store is Cheers Red!

The analyst quoted in the report alluded to the increasing popularity of craft beers and a trip to Thong Lor or other trendy areas does show that youngsters are happy to. part with their hard earned cash  daddy's money to imbibe a superior product.

The analyst failed to make comment on the increasing prices due to extra taxation as being a contributing factor. 

As an aside, I bought a can of "Snowy Weizen last week". It was an unfiltered weizen beer and was perfectly drinkable if lacking some of the character of a Belgian or German equivalent. A 440ml can was 49 baht and with the label in Thai and no customs sticker I'd assumed it was local. And a search online revealed that's it's brewed by Boon Rawd, the makers of Singha. Interesting that one of the big players is brewing a niche beer. Let's hope there's more to come..... and no more U please!

Edited by madmitch