Win lottery and can live anywhere you want

Wake Up

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why do you live in rural Thailand in Isan if you want fine art , classical music , opera and theatre, etc.? It's like loving the beech and living on top of a mountain ...

A good question !!!  For economic reasons .  Isaan is not exactly a mountain , I do love the sea and am too far to easily visit .  I brought with me a lot of books , video cassettes , DVDs and CDs , I spend too much time at my computer , we now have a 55in. smart TV , with which I can have daily entertainment from youtube of operas , theatre , films , horse racing , yacht cruising and racing and much more , my wife enjoys Thai songs very loud .

6 minutes ago, Toscano said:

A good question !!!  For economic reasons .  Isaan is not exactly a mountain , I do love the sea and am too far to easily visit .  I brought with me a lot of books , video cassettes , DVDs and CDs , I spend too much time at my computer , we now have a 55in. smart TV , with which I can have daily entertainment from youtube of operas , theatre , films , horse racing , yacht cruising and racing and much more , my wife enjoys Thai songs very loud .

Considering the title of this thread maybe you should play the lottery...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Not quite your age but agree it is the lack of intellectual conversation that I miss.   However unlike yourself,  and living here for decades but British, even if I won a fortune, I would never contemplate returning to the UK.   There are many things wrong with most countries and Thailand is no exception, but the UK I grew up in is no more.   Having worked and lived in many parts of the world before retiring I have no desire to live in a country that has cities now more akin to India and/or the Middle East.  Of course the pc brigade will say I am racist but that is BS  as if that were to be the case I would never have married a Chinese and now a Thai, nor would I be happy in Thailand were that to be true. Not forgetting of course it is these self same, politically correct people, that have engendered a whole new breed of nutters to carry out murderous attacks on the population. Thankfully Thailand is still a much safer country from these extremist currently.

What would you tell a Thai person who would complain that now Thailand is not the same anymore with all those farangs in Thailand?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Well with my Thai family and extended family I have never heard them complain about Farangs changing Thailand.  Quite the opposite.  It appears that is only the current Junta and their sycophants who are worried that Farangs living here may espouse their ideals regarding social justice.  So frankly your comment appears baseless and pointing towards more like a trolling comment.

You write "the UK I grew up in is no more. Having worked and lived in many parts of the world before retiring I have no desire to live in a country that has cities now more akin to India and/or the Middle East"

It seems you don't return to the UK and complain that you don't like it's "now more akin to India and/or the Middle East"

Maybe there are many Thais all over the world who don't come back to Thailand for similar reasons.

It's almost funny when you write that your extended family never complained about farangs changing Thailand.

What do you think what kind of answer the people from India and the Middle East receive when they ask their family in the UK?

Basically you write: I don't want to return home because there are so many foreigners. And you write this from a country far away where you are the foreigner. Don't you see the irony in your statement?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, csabo said:

So you think everyone in Manhattan is an unfriendly multimillionaire? Yeah, maybe better you stay under your rock. 

I think you missed the point.  I I believe the poster was saying that if you're a multimillionaire, New York would be a great city to live in--and I agree.  Buy myself a big, sprawling condo overlooking Central Park, dine at great restaurants every night, art galleries and museums galore to explore, the best seats for concerts, all the latest plays and musicals to entertain me sporting and special events to attend, and stores of every kind.  But, in my case, I'm not a multimillionaire, so my NYC experience would be living in a closet-sized apartment and not having any money left after paying the rent to enjoy most of those things I just mentioned.  

• Like 1

My choice would be a beachside room at a small beach in north of Phangan, regardless as how much money I had. Closest thing to Paradise I ever stayed at.

If I was really rich, I'd pay the resort owners not to change it, as so many nice Thai beaches have been ruined by the flashpacker concrete resorts now.

• Like 2

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

My choice would be a beachside room at a small beach in north of Phangan, regardless as how much money I had. Closest thing to Paradise I ever stayed at.

If I was really rich, I'd pay the resort owners not to change it, as so many nice Thai beaches have been ruined by the flashpacker concrete resorts now.

Why not just buy the resort?

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Because I'm not Thai and can't buy land.

Besides, I have no interest in running resorts ( there are 4 or 5 on that beach, and I'd have to buy them all ). I just want to keep it as it is.

You could buy thru a company or lease it.

I would never go back and live in that yearlong heat .( 16 y experiense)

Execept soi 6 or soi Coboy there is nothing to see or to do , what you can't do elswhere.

No culture unless you like 1 milj all the same temples , stinking markets  ,dirty beaches,poluted air , ....

Driving is dangerous every where ,but in TH. you can meet real zombies in traffic ,they not seem to be affraid to die ,nor kill you if you upset them slightly.......

Last , look at the balcony realing hight of the appartments........all those "kamikaze ' divers 

never saw this in other countries  . 

So if i won the lottery .....i would spend time in Spain , California, France ( in the summer).

Why i stayed 16 years in Thailand ? .......maybe i was a lowlife > a fugitive > a tax evader> a sex pervert> a cheap charly> looking for love and became an alcoholic , simply had no money to come back and scared to make the big jump.........

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Justfine said:

So basically Thailand isn't that good.

Really. You don’t travel and vacation and miss the place you live?  Interesting perspective you have but I don’t share that perspective. Travel can actually make you see the good things in Thailand. Not perfect but when I find perfect I will still explore other places and enjoy other countries food and fun.  But having traveled for work and play for over 30 years Thailand is the best place IMO for many like me. Could change my mind if I owned a private jet and more than 10 million USA dollars. But now very happy in BKK and Thailand and thankful I get to live there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toscano said:

Before moving to Thailand I lived for a number of years in a very small village in the Chianti hills about 40 minutes drive south of Florence .

I was friends with nearly everyone in the village , as well as having many friends in and around Florence .  Living in Thailand has many merits when you are elderly and without a lot of money to spend .  I have a very peaceful life with my much younger beautiful Thai wife .  We live in her house , much renovated and modernized by me , set in the heart of a big rural Isaan village . We can live very comfortably on a seemingly minuscule income as compared to Europe , no taxes , no worries .  The problems are lack of conversation , being told to shut up when I try to start a conversation ; yes language is a problem , but many Thais , even university educated , have very little general knowledge , so even with fluent Thai there is little to talk about .  I do have some very good English speaking friends whom I see occasionally .  I grew up in an educated and cultured family , I enjoy , good literature , fine art , classical music , opera and theatre , these are aspects of life I miss terribly , friends that are knowledgeable of world affairs and many other subjects .  I am for the most part content to live in rural Thailand ; but , if I won a fortune on the lottery I would go back to live in my beloved Tuscan village , or perhaps at 81 years old , the city of Florence might be better , among my remaining friends and with a wealth of cultural interests to enjoy .   

I will be in Florence in about 10 days and will think of you. One thing Europe has is some of the best art, architecture and music in the world. Love Florence and reading about your story. 

4 hours ago, blazes said:

Spain....great wine, food and football.  

I second that. Spain is also my next destination. I'm preparing myself for Spain, more detailed: Mallorca. Not for the night life! From there cheap flights to anywhere in Europe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toscano said:

Before moving to Thailand I lived for a number of years in a very small village in the Chianti hills about 40 minutes drive south of Florence .

I was friends with nearly everyone in the village , as well as having many friends in and around Florence .  Living in Thailand has many merits when you are elderly and without a lot of money to spend .  I have a very peaceful life with my much younger beautiful Thai wife .  We live in her house , much renovated and modernized by me , set in the heart of a big rural Isaan village . We can live very comfortably on a seemingly minuscule income as compared to Europe , no taxes , no worries .  The problems are lack of conversation , being told to shut up when I try to start a conversation ; yes language is a problem , but many Thais , even university educated , have very little general knowledge , so even with fluent Thai there is little to talk about .  I do have some very good English speaking friends whom I see occasionally .  I grew up in an educated and cultured family , I enjoy , good literature , fine art , classical music , opera and theatre , these are aspects of life I miss terribly , friends that are knowledgeable of world affairs and many other subjects .  I am for the most part content to live in rural Thailand ; but , if I won a fortune on the lottery I would go back to live in my beloved Tuscan village , or perhaps at 81 years old , the city of Florence might be better , among my remaining friends and with a wealth of cultural interests to enjoy .   

Anything from Florence you truly miss? If so PM me and I will try to bring it back to BKk if not too expensive and then Thai mail it to you. You sound like you have experienced wide disparities from Florence to Isan village and have probably lived a very interesting life. Peace 

40 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

For someone who has won the lottery you sound awfully cheap!

I think the Caribbean, or South Seas.

Can't afford it of course.

Life’s lottery not the money lottery. Confusing post by me maybe but what I meant by life’s lottery is I have freedom to choose where to live. But did not win the actual money lotto but happy.