Another Diet/exercise Myth Shattered

Jingthing

Yup and in a years time there will be another study that 'disproves' this one,then there will be one that counters that one,then another one that counters that and so on.... :o

I think there is more than enough evidence to suggest that more muscle mass = more calories burnt.The Pro bodybuilders swear by it and they are, afterall the 250 pound guys with 2 to 5% bodyfat or even lower :D

The idea that you can reduce bodyfat by isolating it (ie belly fat,thigh fat) is complete nonsense and has probably been disproven a billion times already.

Yup and in a years time there will be another study that 'disproves' this one,then there will be one that counters that one,then another one that counters that and so on.... :o

I think there is more than enough evidence to suggest that more muscle mass = more calories burnt.The Pro bodybuilders swear by it and they are, afterall the 250 pound guys with 2 to 5% bodyfat or even lower :D

The idea that you can reduce bodyfat by isolating it (ie belly fat,thigh fat) is complete nonsense and has probably been disproven a billion times already.

Evidence? Anecdotal I would say. Maybe those bodybuilders just have good genes.

Edited by Jingthing

Evidence? Anecdotal I would say. Maybe those bodybuilders just have good genes.

Muscle burns more calories then fat,this is a fact.If you want evidence,simply type that sentence in on yahoo and you'll find plenty of sites backing this up.

A lot of Pro-bodybuilders do have excellent genes.Some have great bone structure which means they can build more aesthetic muscles.Some have mesomorhphic(Wide shoulders,thick muscles,average bodyfat) bodytypes which allows them to gain muscle easiliy without gaining to much fat.

Good genes that help fat loss though..? Most people born with those sort of genes would be classed as ectomorphs(Tall,narrow shoulders/chest,long arms,thin muscles,hard to gain muscle,easy to lose fat).There are very few ectomorph pro-Bodybuilders.

Although i can't link it,In arnold schwarzeneggers 'encycloypedia of modern bodybuilding' there is a section explaining how building more muscle helps greatly with fat loss.He says how many endomorph(basically the fattest of the 3 bodytypes) bodybuilders would find it much easier to burn fat once they had built a significent amount of muscle.

At the end of the day it all comes down to the individual,articles like this should be taken with a pinch of salt.Because there are always gonna be other articles that will say the complete opposite.Different diets/training techniques work for different people,what works for one person probably won't work for another.

cheers

As I understand it, muscles don't directly burn fat, they require more calories therefore burn more calories. So surely it would be possible to indirectly burn fat as a result of more muscle burning more calories, when the body runs out of calories to burn it turns to stored energy - fat.

This site backs this up. Burning Calories

'For every extra pound of muscle you put on, your body uses around 50 extra calories a day'

But its all upto the individual I suppose.

Muscle burns more calories then fat,this is a fact.If you want evidence,simply type that sentence in on yahoo and you'll find plenty of sites backing this up.

Although i can't link it,In arnold schwarzeneggers 'encycloypedia of modern bodybuilding' there is a section explaining how building more muscle helps greatly with fat loss.He says how many endomorph(basically the fattest of the 3 bodytypes) bodybuilders would find it much easier to burn fat once they had built a significent amount of muscle.

This all seems rather obvious - fat is passive and doesn't burn calories, whereas muscles are active. The more muscle you have, the more calories you can burn before you get tired and the more calories you are physically capable of burning each day.

The very act of developing muscle increases your power to weight ratio, unless you also manage to increase you fat levels in proportion and I expect that would be fairly rare and even difficult to achieve.

I've been walking 5 - 10 km the past 5 days and really watching my diet - just small portions of healthy food. My morning weigh-ins on the digital scale are very encouraging! Thanks for whoever started this fat forum; it inspired me to do something!

I've been walking 5 - 10 km the past 5 days and really watching my diet - just small portions of healthy food. My morning weigh-ins on the digital scale are very encouraging! Thanks for whoever started this fat forum; it inspired me to do something!

Nice one!! Motivation is so crucial when dieting/exercising. When I was doing circuit training a few years ago I weighed myself on monday mornings and friday mornings, its a personal preference but I found spreading the weighing increased my motivation, it also helped me to be strict with my eating. I'm not saying you will, but don't reward yourself with food treats! The reward is seeing those scales going down!

Good luck mate.

• 4 weeks later...

Good on you. Keep the good work. Soon you will be proudly announcing your achievements and I shall drink to that :o

• 3 weeks later...

I will make the same suggestion for losing weight that I have for high blood pressure: meditation and exercise.

Find a good meditation teacher who can teach you the basics and then develop individually structured analytic meditations that are directly applicable to you and your lifestyle. I have no doubt this will change your view of yourself and give you the mental strength to eat properly and exercise regularly.

I learned to meditate 28 years ago. It has changed every aspect of my life including the physical. Most people think I am 15 years younger than I am. I attribute this to my using structured meditations to "amplify" the positive effects of proper diet, exercise, good sleep, tranquility, good attitude, etc.

There is no excuse for not striving for better health.

I will make the same suggestion for losing weight that I have for high blood pressure: meditation and exercise.

Find a good meditation teacher who can teach you the basics and then develop individually structured analytic meditations that are directly applicable to you and your lifestyle. I have no doubt this will change your view of yourself and give you the mental strength to eat properly and exercise regularly.

I learned to meditate 28 years ago. It has changed every aspect of my life including the physical. Most people think I am 15 years younger than I am. I attribute this to my using structured meditations to "amplify" the positive effects of proper diet, exercise, good sleep, tranquility, good attitude, etc.

There is no excuse for not striving for better health.

september 2006 107kg depressed went to yan hee hospital saw the doctor had some tests blood heart etc he gave me some diet pills hunger suppressents march 20th 2007 78kg no side affects drop 3 sizes in clothes never hungry check it out no consultation fee pills cost 700b a month i feel 20 years younger healthy and happy .........