Childrens safety in cars

jayboy

I am looking for a simple Thai language guide to safety procedures for children in cars - ie covering what kind of child car seats, when a child can switch to normal safety belts, not sitting in front seat etc.

If anybody can point me to a source I'd be very grateful.

Ah sounds like your an Aussie & want to teach your wife all about their safety laws ( might work )

May be difficult, but I have seen some car crash experiments on the TV, so best bet at the moment may be to try & Google 

Maybe Transport department 

If a family thing (Thai wanting things their way), I have found the following helps.

Sit down and discuss the research. Then observe and discuss the videos of crash tests. With any luck you would have already found a decent straight talking Western thinking paediatrician (took me a couple doctors to get that). Physically take them to the paediatrician for a chat (my paediatrician asks me to bring them now if I encounter any different beliefs). Thai generally don't like to query doctors, plus it always sounds nicer coming from another Thai. 

The mother-in-law used to refuse car seats (so I never left the driveway with her in the car). After doing the above steps she not only puts my daughter in the car seat, but also wears a seat belt herself if she ever is in the car with us. She also took my side when another visiting family member wanted to not put my newborn son in a car seat when going home from hospital. 

Just did the same process regarding delayed gratification and learning disappointment. I also play the Buddhist card that they should not just listen to tradition or gossip, but should always try and improve themselves through research.  

The Thai family will stick up and follow your direction as long as it is clarified/taught to them properly. I cant blame the mother-in-law, she didn't have the chances we do re education. But well done to her for making the effort to change her ways. 

Edited by wildewillie89
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everybody.However I’m still looking for a brief summary of car safety issues in the Thai language - suitable for copying and handing over to members of the social club in my muubaan.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

A quick search of "ความปลอดภัยของเด็กในรถ", "child safety in vehicles", turns up very little, I'm afraid, and what there is is mostly about child seats. I suspect you are looking for something illustrated or a diagram. You might try the local Land Transport Office, they seem to publish big campaign banners from time to time, maybe they have leaflets?

This is from Thai Rath newspaper a couple of years ago: https://www.thairath.co.th/content/541537

Others: https://www.tyres-thailand.com/blog/auto/keeping-children-safe

https://www.google.com/search?q=ความปลอดภัยของเด็กในรถ&client=firefox-b-ab&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLiaHivYzbAhUHSo8KHX-CAMoQsAQIJg&biw=1280&bih=631#imgrc=DO-cVFMzMTnzsM:

3 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

If a family thing (Thai wanting things their way), I have found the following helps.

Sit down and discuss the research. Then observe and discuss the videos of crash tests. With any luck you would have already found a decent straight talking Western thinking paediatrician (took me a couple doctors to get that). Physically take them to the paediatrician for a chat (my paediatrician asks me to bring them now if I encounter any different beliefs). Thai generally don't like to query doctors, plus it always sounds nicer coming from another Thai. 

The mother-in-law used to refuse car seats (so I never left the driveway with her in the car). After doing the above steps she not only puts my daughter in the car seat, but also wears a seat belt herself if she ever is in the car with us. She also took my side when another visiting family member wanted to not put my newborn son in a car seat when going home from hospital. 

Just did the same process regarding delayed gratification and learning disappointment. I also play the Buddhist card that they should not just listen to tradition or gossip, but should always try and improve themselves through research.  

The Thai family will stick up and follow your direction as long as it is clarified/taught to them properly. I cant blame the mother-in-law, she didn't have the chances we do re education. But well done to her for making the effort to change her ways. 

good advise but how many of us would only dream of such thai communication skills

to get the point across  admire your thoughts and well meaning intentions  but as tat does again dream world  post 3 seems more acheivable

Edited by Lamkyong

4 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Sit down and discuss the research?  Take them to the paediatrician for a chat? Jay sus wept.:cheesy: I imagine that sort of logic could improve driving habits here as well, wonder why no one has ever thought of it before.

Sit down and discuss the research?  Take them to the paediatrician for a chat? Jay sus wept.:cheesy: I imagine that sort of logic could improve driving habits here as well, wonder why no one has ever thought of it before.

It worked with motorcycle safety...err...uhh wait...