Thaksin wants to return home, says Chavalit

rooster59

14 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

The question that immediately pops to mind, of course, is : what was his net worth before he became PM (in February 2001) ? Does anyone have a reliable source on that chapter ?

I remember reading in the BP, around 2005, that he and other members of his family were among the 10 richest people in Thailand after his first term (whereas before it was just him, and lower on the list), but my memory isn't what it used to be (I keep forgetting why :biggrin:).

From the article I referenced earlier: 

"Now that we have gotten the legal technicalities out of the way, a natural question to ask, for our peace of mind, would be – “How did Thaksin’s telecommunications businesses actually fare during his tenure, given all the ‘countless measures’ that he allegedly used to benefit them?” The numbers speak for themselves here. As you noted, the Supreme Court chose to confiscate around US$ 1.4 billion of his fortune (the difference between the shares’ values on the day he took office and the values when they were sold to Temasek). However, the Courts failed to take into account that Shin shares gained 121% over the period, which was actually less than the benchmark Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) index gain of 128%. Some other blue-chip companies made even larger gains, such as Siam Cement (coincidentally 30% owned by the Crown Property Bureau), which gained 717% over the same period. You do the math."

So Thaksin forfeited the entire gain on his company interests in the period he was in government. A gain that was lower than the average gain on listed shares in Thailand across the period. 

So his net benefit was zero. 

If you want to know who really runs "democratic" Thailand look at the families richer than the Shins :) 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

The question that immediately pops to mind, of course, is : what was his net worth before he became PM (in February 2001) ? Does anyone have a reliable source on that chapter ?

I remember reading in the BP, around 2005, that he and other members of his family were among the 10 richest people in Thailand after his first term (whereas before it was just him, and lower on the list), but my memory isn't what it used to be (I keep forgetting why :biggrin:).

From the article I referenced earlier: 

"Now that we have gotten the legal technicalities out of the way, a natural question to ask, for our peace of mind, would be – “How did Thaksin’s telecommunications businesses actually fare during his tenure, given all the ‘countless measures’ that he allegedly used to benefit them?” The numbers speak for themselves here. As you noted, the Supreme Court chose to confiscate around US$ 1.4 billion of his fortune (the difference between the shares’ values on the day he took office and the values when they were sold to Temasek). However, the Courts failed to take into account that Shin shares gained 121% over the period, which was actually less than the benchmark Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) index gain of 128%. Some other blue-chip companies made even larger gains, such as Siam Cement (coincidentally 30% owned by the Crown Property Bureau), which gained 717% over the same period. You do the math."

So Thaksin forfeited the entire gain on his company interests in the period he was in government. A gain that was lower than the average gain on listed shares in Thailand across the period. 

So his net benefit was zero. 

If you want to know who really runs "democratic" Thailand look at the families richer than the Shins :) 

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

Thaksin haters don’t like facts. They prefer their own version of half baked theory and self indulgent opinion.

Sorry Eric but this news item is just a bit of a stalking horse.

Manufactured for comment..and the inevitable response.

However one must feel sorry for the Thai conscripts rushed to the borders with their sights permanently fixed on "Thaksin"-anything from a range of a 1,000 to 10,000 kilometers or so..

I reckon Mr Chavalip is a bit of an imp and I love the puckish humour!

40 minutes ago, bizboi said:

I think his actions in power and the hiring of Cambodian death squad black shirts in 2006 as well as instructing his lieutenants to shoot red shirts from the rail tracks above the temple  in the last days of the protest as well as burn Bangkok makes him far and away the worst thing that EVER happened to Thailand!! There is NONE more corrupt or more willing to kill for his own ends!!! the protests that saw Thailand in chaos were HIS responsibility alone. If you dont agree I dont care. I walked through the red shirt camp in 2006/7 and saw the weapons they had there.

".........as well as instructing his lieutenants to shoot red shirts from the rail tracks above the temple  in the last days of the protest as well as burn Bangkok makes him far and away the worst thing that EVER happened to Thailand!!  "

I think you have two entities confused here mate.

Do you think the shootings from the BTS were done by the  Red shirts?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Sorry Eric but this news item is just a bit of a stalking horse.

Manufactured for comment..and the inevitable response.

However one must feel sorry for the Thai conscripts rushed to the borders with their sights permanently fixed on "Thaksin"-anything from a range of a 1,000 to 10,000 kilometers or so..

I reckon Mr Chavalip is a bit of an imp and I love the puckish humour!

Chavalit has been quite consistent in denouncing Prayut and his reneging on election promises. He still has some reverence in the political circle. Lately the PTP and CTP have been very vocal in criticizing the junta failures and Chavalit may be part of a coordinate plan. They know the political situation better than us and they may see something beginning to stir and they are doing their part. That inclusion of Thaksin may be the stalking horse for domestic consumption and his supporters. Now the chessboard has being set and will see how the junta respond this Tuesday. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Chavalit has been quite consistent in denouncing Prayut and his reneging on election promises. He still has some reverence in the political circle. Lately the PTP and CTP have been very vocal in criticizing the junta failures and Chavalit may be part of a coordinate plan. They know the political situation better than us and they may see something beginning to stir and they are doing their part. That inclusion of Thaksin may be the stalking horse for domestic consumption and his supporters. Now the chessboard has being set and will see how the junta respond this Tuesday. 

Eric..no I meant that this is a wonderful opportunity for the present gov't to go even further into bunker mode.

However,I do take your point and will wind back any cynicism until Tuesday.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I see nothing to stop him coming home anytime he wants. He has accommodation waiting for him, and three meals a day for two years, and I am pretty sure he will get a free pick up from the airport too! :smile:

Plus 5 years for taking a runner!

Why coming back to a country he stole hundreds of millions from ?

To a country his daughter stole same same from?

Well there is probably some more to steel ?

I see no problem for him coming back .....throw some cash to the right people .....

smart lie to the ignorant majority.......promise paradise ......and eventualy become king 

of Siam..........

Seems perfectly doable .....

Let’s be real ... Thailand will never be ready for honest elections and proper representative government. Very few countries are, including, apparently the U.S. these days. Trouble is, finding a benevolent despot when you need one.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sandrew33 said:

So you change tack... awesome. 

There was nothing unlawful about his involvement in that land transaction until after he was ousted and a new, suitably vague law, was introduced to make it retrospectively "illegal". I mean seriously... 

As to whether he was good or not, that's a different issue. He was certainly popularly elected and his successors have been the only democratically elected PM's in Thailand in over 2 decades. That says something whatever his sins were..  

Implicit in all your posts is that somehow the alternatives have been better. They haven't. The international corruption index for Thailand has been routinely higher when non elected governments have been in power. 

The issue remains that Thaksin threatened the status quo. Period. 

1 hour ago, sandrew33 said:

So you change tack... awesome. 

There was nothing unlawful about his involvement in that land transaction until after he was ousted and a new, suitably vague law, was introduced to make it retrospectively "illegal". I mean seriously... 

Totally not true.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, lucjoker said:

Why coming back to a country he stole hundreds of millions from ?

To a country his daughter stole same same from?

Well there is probably some more to steel ?

I see no problem for him coming back .....throw some cash to the right people .....

smart lie to the ignorant majority.......promise paradise ......and eventualy become king 

of Siam..........

Seems perfectly doable .....

Hardly much to steal after all the lavish and wasteful spending by the junta. Heard that even the reserve treasury has been raided to almost nothing. 

Thought Prayut is the most popular and all are happy. Nothing to fear if Thaksin come back. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

The new owners of the Nation edited the interview where Chavalit warned the military of the consequences of prolonging their dominance and he will never support Prayut. The military is not united. 

Carefull what you write, Eric... With your background such choice of words... 

No doubt Thaksin has done his utter best to divide the armed forces, there and then, it seems there were some 'discordances' among the boys in green (more among ranks than between units), and that the airforce had chosen for him, while the navy was strongly opposed. In the end the coup generals have ironed(...) the folds, like by giving the then airforce chief, a personal friend and staunch partisan of Mr T.,  some big, sweet candy sticks in their shop f.i..

5 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Maybe house arrest or held in Officer's quarters under quard on a base but  where are these so-called VIP cells? Perhaps you can provide a link?  Thai prisons don't offer aircon and a room service menu with ensuite "massages" available from 10AM-10PM either.

The luxury cells' block built in a prison under Yingluck for outproceeded red shirt leaders, f.i.? 

So the old dinosaur Chavalit is still around it seems. There was always a special relationship between the two; in February 1996 the IMF suggested to the Ministry of Finance and the Bank of Thailand to let the Baht float against the USD which did not happen. 

The result was evident on July 1st, 1997, when Thailand had no other choice but the let their currency finally float which skyrocketed the forex rate from 22.90 to 56 at its very peak. 

The rest is mathematics and it is a mind-boggling guess at best to work out, how many staggering billions some people must have made by buying USD at 22.90 and selling them off at more than double the forex. 

And who was the man of the hour as Chief Giganotosaurus? The relay race started off with Banharn Silpa-archa who passed on the baton to Chavalit Yongchaiyuth - and no finger pointing was possible anymore  ........ 

Possibly the last verbal rise of Chavalit; only once the country rids itself of such elements there is hope, that the light at the end of the tunnel is not the head lamp of a locomotive racing against Thailand - as so often happened in the past 86 years. 

2 minutes ago, bangrak said:

The luxury cells' block built in a prison under Yingluck for outproceeded red shirt leaders, f.i.? 

Thats correct knew I read it somewhere,most likely  derelict now,

regards Worgeordie

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nongkhaidude said:

From my perspective  Thailand was a better place to live back then as opposed to now as he had Vision that was pro Thai people ( excluding the elite of course which is why he and his family is not here now ) instead of the current vison to make this place a colony of China 

'...excluding the elite...' he, his family and 'ex-'wife are part of '...of course...' NKdude

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I can't imagine Thaksin thinking white horse, perhaps a more neutral tone might be more acceptable.

................Riding a flying pink elephant is more likely.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, welovethailand said:

Taskin is one of the Secret Members of the US. Freemason? Skull & Bones?

Read in a Intelligence mag early last year that the US will put Taskin back in.

Thaksin in not any kind of Freemason, and if he were, the US Grand Lodge would not pull him anywhere, that would interfere with the New World Order they're creating. Besides, USA do Freemasons the same way they do everything else.

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Thaksin is never coming back; that is the lesson from the events of 2013 (before Suthep's rent-a-mob took over).

Is that a fair outcome? THAT is the fascinating question (although moot). Is Thaksin much/any different from a hundred/eight hundred/three thousand other Hi-Sos or Military Officers? Is there any 'legitimacy' to his 'conviction'? If there is 'legitimacy' to his 'conviction', would it not be proper or just for hundreds/thousands of other Hi-Sos or Military Officers to be tried and sentenced as well?

Future historians, if they are permitted to write as they choose, are going to have a field day with this question.

So according to you, his corruption was legitimate. It was not wrong of him to change the law so he could sell his company free of tax for billions of baht. And according to you, going behind Parliament and giving a huge loan of the taxpayers money to Burma, provided they bought his satellite system is legitimate..

perhaps you could explain this to us.

Also, you make a complete misuse of the word hi so it has only one meaning, those who pretend to be high-class when they are not. Do you live in Thailand?

34 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

So the old dinosaur Chavalit is still around it seems. There was always a special relationship between the two; in February 1996 the IMF suggested to the Ministry of Finance and the Bank of Thailand to let the Baht float against the USD which did not happen. 

The result was evident on July 1st, 1997, when Thailand had no other choice but the let their currency finally float which skyrocketed the forex rate from 22.90 to 56 at its very peak. 

The rest is mathematics and it is a mind-boggling guess at best to work out, how many staggering billions some people must have made by buying USD at 22.90 and selling them off at more than double the forex. 

And who was the man of the hour as Chief Giganotosaurus? The relay race started off with Banharn Silpa-archa who passed on the baton to Chavalit Yongchaiyuth - and no finger pointing was possible anymore  ........ 

Possibly the last verbal rise of Chavalit; only once the country rids itself of such elements there is hope, that the light at the end of the tunnel is not the head lamp of a locomotive racing against Thailand - as so often happened in the past 86 years. 

And when the results of the crash were evident and disastrous for Thailand, our good general chavalit shared his plan to resolve the situation; open hundreds of Thai restaurants across the world and send the revenue home to Thailand and that would fix everything.

The reality was that thousands of Thai at home had lost their jobs but chavalits' idea didn't provide jobs, and the overall margins from his hundreds of restaurants represented quite small amounts of money, plus monitoring all of these venues for drainage of food, cash would require a very large workforce ...

Not the best idea.

3 hours ago, bizboi said:

I think his actions in power and the hiring of Cambodian death squad black shirts in 2006 as well as instructing his lieutenants to shoot red shirts from the rail tracks above the temple  in the last days of the protest as well as burn Bangkok makes him far and away the worst thing that EVER happened to Thailand!! There is NONE more corrupt or more willing to kill for his own ends!!! the protests that saw Thailand in chaos were HIS responsibility alone. If you dont agree I dont care. I walked through the red shirt camp in 2006/7 and saw the weapons they had there.

Always one in every crowd...

Was it really 2006/7? I thought it was 2010, at least, that's the year I walked through the demonstration and didn't see any weapons, nobody in black shirts and nothing on fire (probably because the insurance claim form wasn't finished yet). I'm pretty sure that's the same year soldiers were firing into the temple from the railway tracks, but I might have it wrong, age does that to you.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 2