Pattaya losing war on trash as residents block dump site

Rimmer

Pattaya losing war on trash as residents block dump site

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya’s proposal to start dumping garbage near a Jomtien Beach arena hit a brick wall after residents got a whiff of the stinky plan.

Administrators had suggested to neighbors of the city’s overflowing Sukhumvit Soi 3 rubbish-transfer facility that the excess could be stored on vacant land near the Eastern National Indoor Sports Stadium. But word soon spread to Soi Chaiyapruek 2 residents who responded with a vehement “not in my backyard” protest.

On May 15, emergency contractor Ruamkha Advance Tech International began hauling away excess garbage to a landfill in Rayong. About 100 tons had been removed by Tuesday, but the site gets 400-plus tons a day, so Ruamkha’s work hardly is a permanent solution.

Following meetings with East Pattaya and Jomtien Community leaders May 9 and 13, Mayor Anan Charoen­chasri admitted defeat, dealing another setback to Pattaya’s losing battle against trash.

image.png

On Tuesday May 15, emergency contractor Ruamkha Advance Tech International began hauling away about 100 tons of excess garbage to a landfill in Rayong.

The rubbish war truly has reached a tipping point: Pattaya has lost use of its former dump in Khao Maikaew, the Interior Ministry has barred the city from moving garbage dumped at the Soi 3 facility to other locations, the transfer facility is over capacity, garbage bins around the city are being left uncollected and city hall has bungled the contracting process for a new trash hauler.

The anger at this month’s hearings was palpable.

Read More: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-losing-war-trash-residents-block-dump-site-210230

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-05-20

I've been living on the dark side for 10+ years; the nightly stench of burnt garbage around Mabtato is unbearable. I just wonder how all those dwellers handle the smog - nightly, as I said - living in those tin dumps next to construction sites or are they not allowed to breathe fresh air?

Khon Thai and their ignorance at its very best :-(   How sad! 

They are trucking garbage in my home country from Toronto to Michigan for a number of years.

Hundreds of trucks rolling down the highway every day. The problem is they are  causing a lot of damage and wear on highways. The.surface has been replaced a couple of times.

There is more cost to trucking garbage than meets the eye.

Edited by Beats56
Spelling

1 hour ago, waders123 said:

Singapore’s Innovative Waste-Disposal System operates a power generation and recycles 98% of the city-state’s solid waste; this is all done at a PROFIT.  Now the City of Singapore is without trash problems and is making a profit on the electrical power they produce and increasing their land mass, (profit there too by selling the land), with inert materials after incineration that is environmentally green. 

Maybe Pattaya could create a similar model to fit Pattaya's population size and needs.   In the future, Pattaya could expand into phase II and began, contracting for profit, solid waste from other cities nearby to make more revenue and with the increased waste, produce more power to sell.  It could be a win-win situation.  But it will take some high power people to start the ball rolling.  

Theoretically: Yes, good idea.

Practically: No - in Pattaya, a win-win situation is defined as: how much do I "earn" from that project.

• Haha 1

I don't remember a time when things were as bad in Pattaya as they are now. In a way, I hope it gets so bad that even the Chinese tour groups stop coming and the Pattaya economy collapses. That is apparently the only way anything will ever get done. It seems that as long as the tour buses keep arriving nothing is going to change.

1 hour ago, waders123 said:

Singapore’s Innovative Waste-Disposal System operates a power generation and recycles 98% of the city-state’s solid waste; this is all done at a PROFIT.  .....

Maybe Pattaya could create a similar model to fit Pattaya's population size and needs.   .....

But this requires brain

2 hours ago, waders123 said:

Singapore’s Innovative Waste-Disposal System operates a power generation and recycles 98% of the city-state’s solid waste; this is all done at a PROFIT.  Now the City of Singapore is without trash problems and is making a profit on the electrical power they produce and increasing their land mass, (profit there too by selling the land), with inert materials after incineration that is environmentally green. 

Maybe Pattaya could create a similar model to fit Pattaya's population size and needs.   In the future, Pattaya could expand into phase II and began, contracting for profit, solid waste from other cities nearby to make more revenue and with the increased waste, produce more power to sell.  It could be a win-win situation.  But it will take some high power people to start the ball rolling.  

Why would they do that?    This would make Sence,,,,,,,,, Now that's a dirty word and can't be used ,,,,,

Pattaya, a cess pit in every sense of the word, me and the Mrs went to the Expo at the outdoor stadium on Chaiyapruk (spl) yesterday, not even a 10 minute journey from where we live, the amount of trash dumped at the side of the road was mind boggling.  ?

• Like 1