Do you really like living in Thailand?

Matptg

12 hours ago, Matptg said:

Now, the big deal here is indeed the society. I can no longer stand it.

Thailand like, weather, prices, availability of women. dislike government, people

UK like, cannabis, meat pies. dislike weather prices, lack of women, government, people

Society can be avoided, I can make my own meat pies, I can live without cannabis..

Verdict: Thailand wins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Matptg said:

Hi.

we have talked about this leader thing already at the very beginning of the relationship and agree that I am not going to be that kind of leader. This is another aspect that I don't like of this country. Women relying too much on their men and the families of the women expecting the men to be carry everything on.

Here doesn't matter how hard you work, they just want to be sure you can provide for everything and families want money too to "be sure you can give a good life to her daughter" ( so stupid this one to me)

In other words, you would rather sponge off others than have them sponge off you , or have I misread this.

Just now, uffe123 said:

Not any more. Cost of living is now par, or more expensive than my home country.

When people write this I think, 'you ain't been home lately'.

Mortgage repayments on my wife's 3 bed (2Mbht) house = $300/month, and no property tax.

Nothing else really matters, but that's all cheaper as well (except for blue cheese).

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

And your kids are minus the education they will need in life unless you have paid over $500,000.00 USD in " Proper School" fees or they are happy with the Thai life.

Depends. Ivy League Education doesn't make a guarantee someone will be well off in life. It is the person and how they approach life. BTW. What is the definition of Thai life? Many of my Thai friends are very wealthy but they don't look like it. . 

Depends. An Ivy League education doesn't guarantee you will be successful in the area you majored or minored. Especially doesn't guarantee you happiness. What do you mean by Thai life? I personally have many rich Thai friends whom you would never think had money in the millions USD and living in Thailand being Thai. 

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1

This is nonsense.  How many expats who work in Japan or Korea, master the local language during their 2-3 year stint.  Close to zero I think.  Imagine an expat with 3-4 posting in different countries......you expect them to keep learning and forgetting new languages?
Agreed. If you're living in Bangkok, learning Thai is unnecessary...as long as you can speak English.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Sadly, I don't have 1 Thai friend, but I do have 100s of Thai family and they're mainly dirt poor.

(dirt poor = plenty of farmland but no cash)

hahahahaha. Yeah, just because they are your Thai family doesn't make them your friend(s). Friends on any level are hard to find whether Thai or foreigners. My kids are probably my closest. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jakethepeg said:

Not rocket science. If you like big cities ,new York, London, Sydney , Paris etc you will love Bangkok .

If you like this then go up country Isaan way ?

Brilliant reply!      ...'talk about genetic deficiency.."  ! Ha!     Isaan is the place..  but I don'think the OP would fit in here either...

• Haha 1

I do not plan on staying in Thailand for good. To hot, too dangerous and too mad to bring up my 2 year old

I have a reasonably valued house in the south east and a pension at 55 (next year) so will stay here until she is school age and then probably zoom off back to good old blighty.

That said, if I was single and well off, I'd still spend 8-9 months a year here - for other satifsying reasons !!!!

• Like 2

Yup, know the feeling....sort of grinds your gears after awhile.....just a still down along the beach and a look at all the fat guys with poneytails and wearing no shirt is just the start of the circus.....lol.....just counting my days until lift off back to the safe and sane world as I know it.....????

Edited by chicowoodduck
  • Like 1

For what its worth i love Bangkok. Some of the things the OP mentions sometimes grate a little bit but i believe in time you get used to them to a point where they barely register. I find more and more Thais are saying Thank you etc when doors are held open for them, then again it does not bother me if they dont.

Personally i believe if you are living in Bangkok (or anywhere really) you need to keep busy, whether that be working full time, having numerous hobbies, a big group of friends anything to keep busy. Sitting around around stewing alone in some suburban moo baan is enough to make anyone frustrated and prone to being a little bit irritable.

Without knowing the finer details the OP's outlook seems a bit grisly. Here since October, bird up the duff already, disliking BKK, thinking of moving the lady back to Europe. Lots of sleepless nights and arguing coming up i think.

• Like 1

This is nonsense.  How many expats who work in Japan or Korea, master the local language during their 2-3 year stint.  Close to zero I think.  Imagine an expat with 3-4 posting in different countries......you expect them to keep learning and forgetting new languages?

Many more than you think. Both in Japan and Korea “expats” come in their twenties and study. Often they come back as businesswomen/man. Same thing is happening in China.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Everybody has gone through what you describe.... multiple times and to one degree or another. To be a reasonably happy farang in a country half way around the world one needs to make peace with the differences and adapt. Learn things. Lotsa things. Or risk being miserable. 

Having said that I know a guy who likes to travel once a year because he loves coming home to his lovely house and pool. 

I have taken the path less traveled and become an expat. Many here have done the same and we are telling you it is possible to be very happy here but not without work and self awareness.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Matptg said:

You're not wrong actually. But I am afraid this goes all over the country. Any advice?

To answer your question, I live in a condo that costs me 23000 baht, I go out every night and I drink only Lagavulin whiskey and tequila, unlike you I suppose. What beer do you drink when you go out? Chaang or singha??

Not to mention that I got a car here. As a farang I have no access to loan therefore I had to pay the whole car to get it. It's a ford everest, I leave to you the pleasure to check its price.

Ah one more thing, do you really think a rich thai girl would even think to stay with a person not at her level?

I apologie to the readers for being arrogant, but I had to answer this gentleman

No need to apologize for your arrogance this is a daily practice on Thai visa.

On the other hand, I will give you my opinion on your op you are not arrogant but totally pedantic, what you confirm here with the comparison of your drinking Laguvalin whiskey while asking someone else if he drinks Chang or Singh beer.

On top of it boasting about owning a Ford Everest adding the phrase  "I leave to you the pleasure to check its price." price that everyone knows by the way,

yes pedantic is the right word. Unpleasantly pedantic to be more precise?

• Like 1