purchasing a vehicle

hi people,here,s the question,we have bought a house in mae rim,we hav,nt got our names in the yellow book yet,because at the last moment they required some changes.

which is going to take a week to sort out. in the meantime we have paid a booking fee for a new vehicle.so what paperwork is required to pay and pick up the vehicle.we have

our passports with 90 day extension,afterwhich we change to retirement visa we have chanote document and our tm30,s.

is this enough? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks rick & gill.

Most likely what you will need is a Certificate of Address from Immigration... As to what exact paperwork is required to pick up the vehicle - Can not the dealership tell you that?... And why not let the dealership handle the title paperwork...

Curious?... How were you as a foreigner able to buy a house?...

Edited by sfokevin

51 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Most likely what you will need is a Certificate of Address from Immigration... As to what exact paperwork is required to pick up the vehicle - Can not the dealership tell you that?... And why not let the dealership handle the title paperwork...

Curious?... How were you as a foreigner able to buy a house?...

I thought we could buy a house, but I know we can't buy the land on which it sits.

Perhaps "we" means "she".

I suggest the OP asks on the motoring forum, where the experts post.

we bought the house ( 2 villas) we live in one and rent the other off a german guy who has built 5 houses in mae rim and rents them.this guy

helped us with the process and there maybe special circumstances which allowed us to buy the house.we don't own the land we have a 30 year renewable lease up to 90 years,which is the maximum.as far as I,m concerned a foreigner can buy a house but cant buy the land.through lawyers this is 100% legal.during the lease we can build on the property we can resell or we can leave it to our children.all this is in the documents.the

german guy is leaving the houses he owns to the thai family when he dies so they can,t and won,t cause us problems.and we have a built in mortgage set up,which means they would have to buy the house off us if they wanted their land back.

regards rick & gill.

As far as I know, you need proof of residence to buy or sell a vehicle. That can be a certificate of residence or a yellow book. sfokevin had a good idea, let the dealer help you, they may be more convincing when dealing with a government agency.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:34 AM, Ricky haste said:

we have a 30 year renewable lease up to 90 years,

You should check that out. There was some discussion a while back that that was scam, and the maximum is 30 years. Anyway, all the owner has to do is increase the cost of the lease at the end of the first 30 years to a point that the original lessee can't afford to renew it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You should check that out. There was some discussion a while back that that was scam, and the maximum is 30 years. Anyway, all the owner has to do is increase the cost of the lease at the end of the first 30 years to a point that the original lessee can't afford to renew it.

It's in our contract that can,t be done.if he tries it he loses the 4 properties that the German seller has left to him in his will.all parties have met and agreed contracts.

The maximum duration is 30 years, when people promise 30+30+30 it's afaik a scam, even if it says so in your contract, this is not enforcable or there are ways out of this for the land owner. So you can expect that the house is gone after 30 years, unless you pay a lot of money to renew the lease then. Didn't you get suspicious that the guy who built the house sold it to you and is now renting it? I also think this house is nearly impossible to sell by you.

And whatever the lawyer says, you should personally make sure that the 30 year lease is properly registered at the land office or you can be kicked out well before 30 years.

To answer your initial question: You take some documents that confirm that you stay there (normally this would be a rental contract, so maybe take your contract of sale with you) together with your passport and a photo to the immigration police office and then you can should be able to get a certificate of residence there which can be used to register the vehicle on your name. Theoretically it should be free, but many offices charge a fee, something like 500THB.

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

The maximum duration is 30 years, when people promise 30+30+30 it's afaik a scam, even if it says so in your contract, this is not enforcable or there are ways out of this for the land owner. So you can expect that the house is gone after 30 years, unless you pay a lot of money to renew the lease then. Didn't you get suspicious that the guy who built the house sold it to you and is now renting it? I also think this house is nearly impossible to sell by you.

And whatever the lawyer says, you should personally make sure that the 30 year lease is properly registered at the land office or you can be kicked out well before 30 years.

To answer your initial question: You take some documents that confirm that you stay there (normally this would be a rental contract, so maybe take your contract of sale with you) together with your passport and a photo to the immigration police office and then you can should be able to get a certificate of residence there which can be used to register the vehicle on your name. Theoretically it should be free, but many offices charge a fee, something like 500THB.

ok,i know everyone is trying to help and that's great.the situation here is a bit different from the scams you hear about and which I researched.

first of all the guy that sold the house is not renting it,there are two attached properties,we live in one and we rent the other.it is called passive income,which is allowed under thai laws.he has looked after the thai family (which we have met on several occasions) even to the point of paying for his education in America.the seller and us house swap every now and again,he has a house on koh phanang? the lease is properly registered at the land office.somehow the german guy (the seller) bought the land (don,t ask me how) and owns the land for his other properties.

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to pick up my new car from the dealer soon and only have a copy of my current Certificate of Residence. Will a copy of the certificate be acceptable to the dealer? I had to give the original certificate when I got my Thai driver’s license this week.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

17 minutes ago, RegularGuy77 said:

I am going to pick up my new car from the dealer soon and only have a copy of my current Certificate of Residence. Will a copy of the certificate be acceptable to the dealer? I had to give the original certificate when I got my Thai driver’s license this week.

Thel DLT would have to accept the copy. But they don't, you have to get a new original

44 minutes ago, RegularGuy77 said:

Maybe, maybe not, depends on the interaction between dealer and DLT. This is not about the dealer accepting or not, only about the DLT accepting or not.