AOT approves building second airports for Chiang Mai, Phuket

webfact

The proposed new "Phuket, not on Phuket" International Airport site is the one proposed by Bangkok Airways and Phang Nga Province as the new Phang Nga International Airport on a site near Khok Kloy north of Phuket. It was justified to take pressure off the existing expanded Phuket International Airport for the increasing number of passengers going north from Phuket to the developing areas of Phang Nga particularly Khao Lak. No doubt AOT want the revenue from this airport instead of it becoming a Bangkok Airways monopoly like Koh Samui. 

5 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:

Problem is many will simply select the current Phuket International airport when selecting their destination with the airline carriers and not the one which will add an additional half an hour to their trip on to Phuket traffic congestion excluded!

That problem will be solved automatically by pricing. It's called the law of supply and demand and if you're correct the prices will go up to main airport and go down to second airport. 

Just like DMK and BKK.

1 hour ago, flyingdoc said:

What a pity that they don't have Public Enquiries in Thailand on such subjects?

They had one for expansion of the current airport in Chiang Mai last year.

This expansion was approved by AOT. Now they say it can't be expanded.. not sure what they mean... Maybe can't be expanded further than current expansion plans?

OK... if more tourism then they need to build better/bigger airports to handle the influx of tourists.... fair enough, you don't have to like it but it makes sense.

HOWEVER while they plan and do that, they ALSO need to think about the OTHER infrastructure - what about the congested roads, what about the inadequate drainage, the flooding, the lack of trash collections and inefficient waste handling, the dirty beaches, the drainage pollution in to the sea at the beaches.....???

ALL OF THAT IS A PROBLEM NOW, so it will only get worse if they plan on increasing the passengers arriving by building more/bigger airports.

THAILAND - PLEASE PLEASE give a suitable budget for handling trash, disposal, incineration, recycling, clean the beaches, fix the drains and polluted klongs.

And while you are at it, please stop tourists drowning and dying in Thailand by using a budget to pay for adequate beach life-savers.

The more tourists that come here, the quicker your country will be destroyed if you don't address these issues as well..... fix all that and you can make money for many, many years.

Don't fix it and you will kill your country tourism far, far quicker!!!

Edited by TheMacMan
spelling
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, shady86 said:

The results of long term planning, build something just enough for next 2 years. After 5 years, they get to build new one, everyone gets work and happy ending for prople involved.

If you think it's bad here move to Australia particularly Sydney

Everything is outdated before the plans are off the drawing board

Finally after more years than I can rememember  a new airport is to be built outside Sydney

Will probably find a colony of rare frogs that will delay construction for 10 years !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

So keep the current CM airport operating for domestic flights.

My guess is that a very large % of CM residents (Thai and farang) see the current location as very convenient. 

Its for the flood of Chinese that are coming. So the further away they build them the better. The moon springs to mind.

1 hour ago, ebean001 said:

Chiang Mai: The ideal solution is an airport about 15 klms from the city with new superhighway supporting passenger transfer. The airport must be away from residence, schools, malls, etc.

Next, the current airport must be removed so roadways can be built to reduce the traffic problem. This is standard procedure in most cities. The airport is a major cause of traffic jams in this area. I am not referring to the people driving to the airport as much as the inability to construct many needed roads in this area.

Noise abatement is also a serious consideration. Planes fly over many neighborhoods in the area...and directly over BigC.

Finally, airport near malls, residences, school, etc is extremely dangerous because of accidents could cause a huge unnecessary casualty count.

Lastly, the military airport should also be removed. I thought it was against Geneva Convention to have military airports near residence, school, malls, etc. This is dangerous.

Like the super highway isn't over packed all day long now too? Schools on the Supper Highway and just plain traffic will make going to Lamphun more than the terror it is already. You are a bit off on your judgement. 

3 hours ago, alant said:

Not really, it is not that bad a trip into the city from the village of Ban Thi and the highway 1317 is largely 4 lane nearly all the way.

Another area of beautiful quiet countryside will be totally f...d up by this plan.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Sorry, not going to Lamphun.

Wouldn't it be better to commandeer some of the air forces large vast land at CM airport that sits idle as they never fly there? They sure as heck don't need it and would be too easy to build an adjoining terminal. As for a new landing and take off strip and expanding, never mind, just a matter of que timing as it is not even near to being full.

..they have no-one to bomb as doors are open to any one who wants to come in and take over.

Just some thoughts to chew on... 

1.  Chiang Mai used to be popular as a hub for hill tribe trekking.  Not anymore.

2.  Mae Hong Son used to have a bunch of daily flights; Thai Airways, Bangkok Airways, etc.  Not any more.  Why?  I think those people go to Sapa, Cambodge or Laos now.

3.  The east side out to Mae On is already turning into an overdeveloped mess of ticky-tacky tract homes.

4.  The smoke and air (lack of) quality continues to worsen.  Now Chiang Mai is a nightmare from February to mid May.  Word gets around.  I expect to see CM go the way of Mae Hong Song eventually.

5.  I'd guess another couple of hundred POS smoke belching stinking useless song-thews will ply the route to the new airport creating another tunnel of their carcinogenic farts along the corridor.

6.  The 1317 is already overcapacity at morning and afternoon rush hours.  I doubt it can handle the new subdivisions already going in.

End of rant.  Resume normal life...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, just bob said:

1.  Chiang Mai used to be popular as a hub for hill tribe trekking.  Not anymore.

2.  Mae Hong Son used to have a bunch of daily flights; Thai Airways, Bangkok Airways, etc.  Not any more.  Why?  I think those people go to Sapa, Cambodge or Laos now.

3.  The east side out to Mae On is already turning into an overdeveloped mess of ticky-tacky tract homes.

4.  The smoke and air (lack of) quality continues to worsen.  Now Chiang Mai is a nightmare from February to mid May.  Word gets around.  I expect to see CM go the way of Mae Hong Song eventually.

5.  I'd guess another couple of hundred POS smoke belching stinking useless song-thews will ply the route to the new airport creating another tunnel of their carcinogenic farts along the corridor.

6.  The 1317 is already overcapacity at morning and afternoon rush hours.  I doubt it can handle the new subdivisions already going in.

Spot on.  Chiang Mai will soon cease to be a tourist destination for westerners.  Asians will probably love the tacky sites, such as that  "Farm" place off the 1317...

Edited by Samuel Smith

6 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Agreed. These airports aren't for the local population, they're for the millions of tourists that visit CM and Phuket each year.

And here I thought that they were for providing the taxi and tuk tuk mafia with more potential victims to scam.  :whistling:

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

2nd airports 20 - 30 away?  So, land in Lamphun, then take half hour bus ride to Chiang Mai?  Not exactly my idea of a good time.

Half an hour?  <lol>  More like an hour once fighting though traffic is factored in. 
Where do most tourists go?  Downtown CM.  What's the closest airport to downtown? The current airport.  So yeah, an airport out in Ban Thi logistically doesn't make a lot of sense.  However, I'd love to know the amount of speculative land buying has taken place in the last few years in that area. 

6 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Or you could visit Lamphun instead... it's just 500 yards down the road.

The trip into CNX city center might only take 2 hours, bcoz the roads are blocked most of the times already now.

1 hour ago, just bob said:

Very sad, specially the air quality... very frustrating and is a yearly remainder that the governance is useless or corrupt or both. very sad. extremely sad.

8 minutes ago, 0815 said:

The trip into CNX city center might only take 2 hours, bcoz the roads are blocked most of the times already now.

That's just not true.. I drive mornings, evenings and nights from hang dong to cnx and the surrounding areas and the roads are usually clear with the occasional pileups... but it's NOTHING near bangkok levels of traffic jams... even when traffic is bad it takes only like 30 minutes from hang dong to the airport.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Agreed. These airports aren't for the local population, they're for the millions of tourists that visit CM and Phuket each year.

Very surprising to build an airport for tourits in a country that has 10% of its income from tourism!

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I am going to ask one of the most obvious questions, about Thai airport, that one possibly can. Why on earth are they not using the Hua Hin airport? They just now started one flight from KL, to HH. One flight. I had read in the press about 6 months ago, that Air Asia, had signed an agreement with the airport authority, to operate up to 36 flights a day out of that airport. Nothing ever happened. Now, one flight a day? 

We all know what the excuse used to be. That no longer applies. So, is someone knuckle dragging? What gives? They spent a fortune expanding the runway a few years back. Then nothing. Even the Kan Air flights are discontinued, though I think that airline may have failed. Too bad. It was a nice little airline. 

Anybody have any factual information about this? It would seem that regional alternatives to the big airports in Bangkok would be encouraged. Or, am I making too much sense here?

Well if you look at the distance between the airport and the king's summer palace there are not many more questions to ask.

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

When I suggested that Phuket needed a new airport 6 years ago the authorities treated me like a leper.

Oh, how the spots on the leopard change

They put you on a remote island with other people who suggested a new airport?

Chiang Mai, Phuket Second Airports Will Be ‘Great Help’

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

เชียงใกม่-696x522.jpeg

Passengers queue for a check-in at Chiang Mai International Airport. Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK — The decision to build new airports at two top tourist destinations was welcomed by the head of the tourism department Friday as a means to support ever-growing tourist arrivals.

Two days after the national airport operator announced it would build two new airports to service Chiang Mai and Phuket, Yuthasak Supasorn, director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, said it was a good sign for the industry, which is a significant source of income to the country.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/05/25/chiang-mai-phuket-second-airports-will-be-great-help/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-05-25