Irish voters set to liberalise abortion laws in landslide - exit poll

rooster59

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So much for father's rights. A woman can legally murder you baby, or if she chooses get deliberately pregnant and screw you for the next 20 years in child support.

Whilst I support the right of abortion in certain cases - rapes, bad medical conditions etc, the fact that a father had absolutely no input into these things is a total disgrace and any women considering abortion without talking it through with the father is a complete piece of trash as far as I am concerned.

It all depends on what you mean by "talking it through". Do you mean that if they disagree, the prospective father gets to veto the abortion?

• Like 2

Many women are raped by their husbands, it still goes on these days...

Lets look at the USA, Harvey Weinstein, just the tip of the Ice Burg sleep with your boss if you want to keep your job, his choice to wear a condom or not.

One thing for sure the exit poles are indicating that those of the faith who attend mass tomorrow are in for a hell of a bible thumping sermon on "the damnation of hell"

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Many women are raped by their husbands, it still goes on these days... 

Lets look at the USA, Harvey Weinstein, just the tip of the Ice Burg sleep with your boss if you want to keep your job, his choice to wear a condom or not.

One thing for sure the exit poles are indicating that those of the faith who attend mass tomorrow are in for a hell of a bible thumping sermon on "the damnation of hell"

This is not an issue of rape and you know it.

The majority of women getting abortions aren't raped. They're irresponsible.

And I don't know what our discussion has to do with religion. It sounds like you have some unresolved issues with one religion in particular. Might want to get that figured out.

Edited by Rigby40
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Rigby40 said:

When did I absolve the men of responsibility?

What's utter rubbish are your assumptions.

Then try again because men are equally guilty and in many cases more so.  If you are a wife in Ireland and Paddy comes home from the pub after a skin full on a Friday night, try telling him, "not tonight darling".  I don't know what world you live in but it sure is a long way away from the real one.

But hold on!  I have just realised that you are playing us all ?  Well done Rigby!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rigby40 said:

And I don't know what our discussion has to do with religion. It sounds like you have some unresolved issues with one religion in particular. Might want to get that figured out.

The majority of women getting wanting abortions aren't raped. They're irresponsible. so are the men who put them in the club...

The women who are raped can not have an abortion under the present legislation.

And religion (Catholic and Protestant) is at the heart of Ireland's problems.

As for religion, I was baptised, but I did not consent, at an early age I soon worked out there was no Farther Christmas, so the stories of the Bible just seemed fiction too, having to attend school assembly because of archaic laws dating back to when politician had to be good Christians (or pretend to be) to get elected put me really off religion.

Edited by Basil B
  • Thanks 1

Who was Savita Halappanavar?

Savita Halappanavar died in a Galway hospital in 2012 from sepsis after suffering complications during a miscarriage at 17 weeks.

Her family said she repeatedly requested an abortion from medical staff, but was denied because of the presence of a foetal heartbeat.

Multiple reports and inquests found medical failure in her death.04f58e9b-b087-42de-bdde-e4cf8dc3877c.jpg.165b89445bfe0b1d026498f5b694d6eb.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-northern-ireland-44236535

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

We have gone through a couple of years of complete lunacy around the world.  At last some common sense.  Let's hope that grows and we can get back to making the right decisions!

Just announced that the No camp has conceded and that the people have overwhelmingly voted for change.  Well done Ireland!

No, only Eire(ROL), not NI.

I am sure it is safe to say the out come of the referendum is clear, just the numbers and how big is the majority?

As for N.I. without a functioning devolved government will Westminster impose change or hold a referendum. 

46 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I am sure it is safe to say the out come of the referendum is clear, just the numbers and how big is the majority?

As for N.I. without a functioning devolved government will Westminster impose change or hold a referendum. 

Valid point!

Looking like two thirds voted for change.  That really is a landslide!

Edited by dunroaming

3 hours ago, Rigby40 said:

Oh look...the troll is back!

a) Rape is PART of the issue and YOU know it! So stop playing with words!

b ) Majority of women are having abortions for medical reasons! Try to keep up!

c) the discussion has everything to do with religion, as in Ireland (among other countries) the (catholic) church has a big influence on politics and social issue!

But you also know that, too which makes you an even bigger troll!

Please go back under your bridge!

3 hours ago, Rigby40 said:

Well, considering that the Catholic Church strongly opposes all forms of artificial birth control, I'd say it has plenty to do with it.

Those with an agenda form the issue in polarizing terms ,at both ends of the spectrum, most people live in the middle.

No indiscriminate abortion, but admissible under pragmatic guidelines, End of story.

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:
2 hours ago, Basil B said:

Valid point!

Looking like two thirds voted for change.  That really is a landslide!

Surprisingly;

'A clear message of compassion' - Sinn Fein president Mary Lou McDonald

"This campaign ends decades of women and girls in the most appalling of circumstances being exiled from their own country just to get the care they need. It's a clear message of compassion, of progress."

And 

The DUP MLA Jim Wells, a former NI health minister, says the expected result of the referendum "is an extremely worrying development for the protection of the unborn child in Northern Ireland".

I think this is one issue that both DUP and Sinn Fain may just be happy for Westminster to take matters out of their hands