Purchasing UK Mobile Number for use in Thailand

Steps

Buy a Skype number then set up Skype on your Thai mobile. Calls will come directly to Skype on your mobile and will be received free of charge. Calls are charged at the local UK rate from a UK number to a Skype number . Plus calls from your Skype number (from anywhere in the world) to a UK LANDLINE cost just 1.4ppm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use routers supplied by a company called Draytek.  Certain models have a 'dual' phone socket so that you can configure their SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) service from their associated company DrayTel.  You buy a so called 'Geographic' number from Draytel for wherever in the UK you want and configure the SIP service on the router.  The SIP service call credit can be topped up by a Bank Transfer so that you have credit for making calls.

Incoming calls make the phone ring but the best thing is that you can have more than one router online to the SIP service at the same time.  So I have one phone on a router on the internet in England and one phone on a router on the internet in Thailand.  Incoming calls to the local UK (United Kingdom) number ring both phones simultaneously, which amuses a  lot of people who usually want to check that I'm not lying by making a call themselves while using separate video calling to watch what happens at the other end of the call.  I also configure my mobile phone to accept the calls using an app called Csipsimple and on the PC using Draytek's 'Softphone' software, resulting in incoming calls ringing on every device I have that's logged in wherever those devices are at the time.  You can also just sign on to the SIP service in Thailand only from whatever devices you happen to have, no routers needed whatsoever.

I also use the LINE messaging app on a Thai mobile and a UK mobile.  You can buy calling credit for the 'LINE Out' service and make calls that way.  I have used Skype and their local number but I ran into trouble and gave up using it because the Skype service usually doesn't include a CLI (Caller Line Identification).  What I mean by that is that no calling number appears on the UK phone when it's called using Skype, unlike from LINE and from the Draytel SIP service.  Where a BT customer has enabled their 'Call Protect' service to reject calls from 'withheld' or 'unavailable'  numbers, Skype is prevented from connecting the call because of the absence of CLI.

There are lots of SIP providers, some of who charge exorbitantly for use of their services so it's up to you to look for low cost PAYG (Pay As You Go) services.

Useful web sites for things that I have mentioned:  https://www.draytek.com/   and   http://www.draytel.org/   and   https://home.bt.com/

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sumrit said:

Buy a Skype number then set up Skype on your Thai mobile. Calls will come directly to Skype on your mobile and will be received free of charge. Calls are charged at the local UK rate from a UK number to a Skype number . Plus calls from your Skype number (from anywhere in the world) to a UK LANDLINE cost just 1.4ppm. 

Or you can subscribe to Skype....to all UK phones and landlines, 3 months, 9 quid.

• Like 2

Yet another way is to use one of the many call forwarding services that allow the caller in UK to call a local UK number and then dial your Thai number.

One example is Story Telecom but there are many others

And if the UK caller has free local calls they actually end up calling your Thai number for FREE.

I used to do this before all my contacts were on either Skype, WhatsApp or Line which are of course the best way as has been pointed out.

Edited by VBF

The greatest little Australian invention called Mobiroam. This is a small box that plugs into your modem at your base, in my case Perth Western Australia. When you are going to travel you put your mobile SIM card into the box. You down load the mobi roam app and then anywhere you can get an Internet connection your phone will work as if you had never left. 

I have a Thai SIM card with Internet so I'm always connected. 

The cost is just USD 99

www.mobiroam.com

Mobile service providers around the world are adding new services like VoWiFi, aka WiFi Calling. I think a number of providers (EE, O2, Vodafone) in the U.K. offer this service, but it may be phone/plan dependent, and SMS (R/S) may not work?

With this sort of service, and assuming you have a WiFi signal, calls from/to your mobile number are treated as domestic calls wherever you may be in the world.

I use this service with DTAC (aka DTAC Call), and it has worked well for me in a number of Asian countries, and in the U.S. I can receive SMSes, but not originate them. Calls to my 094 DTAC number ring through, and callers pay the standard domestic tariff associated with their plan. I can call them back using 0nn, and those minutes come off my monthly plan. CPID is passed through.

With DTAC Call you can also utilize up to five (5) separate numbers.  https://www.dtac.co.th/en/info/dtac-call.html

It might help if the OP detailed the exact application requirements, more details always help refine options. Do you want people calling you to "think" you are in the U.K.? If you call them back do you want it to look like you're calling from the number they might have previously dialed? Do received SMSes have to go to the same number? Do return SMSes have to appear to come from that number? What is your budget? Do you have internet access here? What make/model phone do you have?

33 minutes ago, spambot said:

Download and use app https://www.vyke.com/us-home/ 

• Gets you a mobile number in UK
  • To keep the number active either pay a monthly charge or make  call every 30 days.
  • To be able to pay for the monthly calls simply top up with min £3 for credit (after your free period).
  • This app will make the calls from Thailand look like they are from your UK mobile number that is allocated to you.
  • Call charges from Thailand to UK fixed line 1p per min and to a mobile 3p per min - sms 4.2p per text
  • These calls (at this rate) mean you must have access to the internet using either your mobile Thai data plan or you  can make  connection to local wifi.
  • All calls coming into your mobile similarly depend upon the same local internet connected and these call are free for receiving.
  • If you  are called - Then the caller costs are the same as the cost they would pay for calling a UK based mobile number.

Not as cheap as Skype but a good alternative. 

Plus it gives you a UK mobile number which are quite often very useful (Skype is restricted to UK landline numbers).

Some banks and other institutions etc require a mobile number because they need to send a OneTimePassword SMS message to verify transactions/activity on your account, etc. 

You might have a look at this company.

www.ekit.com

They will ship to you a sim card package.  The sim is a UK mobile number that globally roams, but does not cost you to receive a call from anyone in any country.  You only pay to make a call.  To keep my credit on it valid, I send an SMS to my usual number once every 3 months.  I only have a small amount of credit on it and use it only to accept incoming calls from the UK.  You top up the credit online.

You have to do the usual identification things but it is not a big problem. 

The calls from the UK to this number are the normal price, and are included in most people's unlimited talk and text package.

My sim with them is a few years old so just check with them they are still issuing UK numbers on their sim cards.  I'm pretty sure they do. 

I do agree with the Skype subscriptions and Skype Out/In number posts above, but if you want a sim card you can have a look at Ekit. 

Well thank you all for the response. I did do a bit of research and came up with solutions prior to reading all the replys.

I found Dingtone that supplies you with a UK landline from any region you want if they are available at the time of subscription. I waited a few days until the region i was after became available. Its ok and does what i need it to do.

https://www.dingtone.me/

I also found Flipper https://flipperapp.co.uk/. They supply you with a UK mobile number but the calls are 2p to landline and 4p to mobile. I noticed that Vyke charges 1p to landline and 3p to mobile so i am gonna use the 30days free subscription and then look into vyke so thanks SPAMBOT, nice find!! Just to add that i have just checked the subscription costs and it is 7.99 for 3 months for flipper or 6.99 for 1 year using vyke so it is a no brainer!!

On 5/29/2018 at 11:43 AM, KhunHeineken said:

You might have a look at this company.

www.ekit.com

They will ship to you a sim card package.  The sim is a UK mobile number that globally roams, but does not cost you to receive a call from anyone in any country.  You only pay to make a call.  To keep my credit on it valid, I send an SMS to my usual number once every 3 months.  I only have a small amount of credit on it and use it only to accept incoming calls from the UK.  You top up the credit online.

You have to do the usual identification things but it is not a big problem. 

The calls from the UK to this number are the normal price, and are included in most people's unlimited talk and text package.

My sim with them is a few years old so just check with them they are still issuing UK numbers on their sim cards.  I'm pretty sure they do. 

I do agree with the Skype subscriptions and Skype Out/In number posts above, but if you want a sim card you can have a look at Ekit. 

Hi there,

Thanks for the info. I do believe that this is not a convenient way to do things as you would have 2 sims and therefore 2 mobiles (or you carry a sim around in a wallet in which case you do not receive calls).

Check out some of the other options suggested.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Steps said:

Hi there,

Thanks for the info. I do believe that this is not a convenient way to do things as you would have 2 sims and therefore 2 mobiles (or you carry a sim around in a wallet in which case you do not receive calls).

Thanks

I only put it forward for consideration, as it is a sim card, with a UK mobile phone number.

I would be very very surprised if your current phone is not dual sim.  Meaning, it can take two sim cards, and you can accept phone calls from two different numbers.  Obviously, your Thai number is one, and the other could be your Ekit sim card being your UK number that you do not pay to receive a call on with the Ekit company. 

The above post with Skype is a good option, but you either need WiFi or use your Thai sim card data.  The Ekit sim card UK phone number does not need either.

Once again, just for your consideration, I'm not saying it's the best option for your circumstances. 

The sim is a UK mobile number that globally roams, but does not cost you to receive a call from anyone in any country. You only pay to make a call.

From what I can see there are indeed incoming call charges.

http://www.ekit.com/ekit/Callcosts/mobile_index_html?product=ektrav_silver&exclude_close_button=1

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I think you are correct, KK.  I stand corrected.  It appears  the receiver now has to pay for incoming calls.

About 18 months ago, Ekit upgraded my sim card.  It was a forced upgrade.  Prior to this, I didn't pay to receive calls.  The new sim now sits in my draw and I only make one sms on it ever few months to keep it active on a network.  So I am out of date with their T & C's.

I once received a 90 minute call from the UK and it didn't cost me, or the caller, who was on an unlimited plan, anything to talk for that length of time.

I apologize for publishing out of date information, but I did tell the OP to check it out first. 

In any case, the rates don't look too bad.  It was just something for the OP to consider, as it's a UK number sim, shipped to him in Thailand, and would be in his name.

In light of your updated information, I would suggest a Skype number would be the best option now, particularly if the OP is receiving frequent and lengthy calls from the UK, and is either constantly on WiFi or has a good local data package.

Apologies once again.  KH

Edited by KhunHeineken

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Giving some thought to this thread, I have a question. 

I have a Skype subscription, but only ever use it for calls.  I use a different method to send SMS. 

Does the Skype SMS system work for OTP's from banks and similar? 

I am not sure but i do know for certain that Dingtone, Flipper and Vyke operate like this.

On 6/2/2018 at 4:43 PM, Steps said:

Hi there,

Thanks

Buy your next phone in Thailand, they all have dual sim capability (apart from i-phone that is), only one phone to carry.

Edited by sumrit

25 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Can I ask, what is your main reason for wanting a UK number?  Might help narrow down suggested solutions. 

I was trying to verify my Transfer wise account and needed a UK mobile number to do so. It will also be used for 2FA. Also, it makes me accessible to friends and family in the UK

Jobs a gooden and the problem has been solved as stated.

Edited by Steps

12 hours ago, Steps said:

I was trying to verify my Transfer wise account and needed a UK mobile number to do so. It will also be used for 2FA. Also, it makes me accessible to friends and family in the UK

Jobs a gooden and the problem has been solved as stated.

I've never used Dingtone.  What's their call quality like?  Also, drop outs etc? 

Edited by KhunHeineken

On 5/26/2018 at 5:59 AM, sumrit said:

With this setup, does your mobile phone have to be within WiFi range of your modem to be able to receive a call made to your Thai mobile number?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 11:32 PM, Maestro said:

With this setup, does your mobile phone have to be within WiFi range of your modem to be able to receive a call made to your Thai mobile number?

You can use your 4G package on your phone when not in range of WiFi, then your connected to the internet 24 hours a day

Maybe i should start a new topic for this one but i will throw this out here first. If i decide to go back to the UK for a while, is there anyway to port my Thai number somehow so that i can continue to use it for bank OTP ect. Is there a company that would do this for a Thai number?

11 hours ago, Steps said:

Maybe i should start a new topic for this one but i will throw this out here first. If i decide to go back to the UK for a while, is there anyway to port my Thai number somehow so that i can continue to use it for bank OTP ect. Is there a company that would do this for a Thai number?

I just had International roaming turned on for my true sim when I came to the UK a couple of weeks ago and I get OTP's etc. 

Just make sure you turn off mobile data for that sim.

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2018 at 1:35 PM, KhunHeineken said:

I would be very very surprised if your current phone is not dual sim.

Actually, if he bought his phone in the UK its unlikely to be dual sim.  I struggled to buy a dual sim phone in the UK. There are some but a lot of them are imported and sold on ebay - they are not UK phones.

Lots of models that have dual sims in other countries are single sim in the UK. A Samsung dealer told me they just aren't as popular in the UK.  I ended up buying my Samsung dual sim in Thailand. That caused a few problems as a lot of stuff on the phone was in Thai.  I've changed what I can but there are still some things that can't be changed.

There is also a potential drawback with dual sim phones - I haven't missed it yet but the second sim takes over the place where the micro sd memory card goes.  I have no choice though as I need my Thai number to work when I'm in the UK as Kasikorn insist on sending one time passwords when I use my online banking.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 11:19 AM, Steps said:

My Thai phone which is on AIS roams when I'm in UK. I can use it for calling and texting. Bank OTP messages are only text (SMS) messages. Not sure if they will attract the same roaming charges.