Two defrocked monks diagnosed with illness at Bangkok prison

snoop1130

Two defrocked monks diagnosed with illness at Bangkok prison

By The Nation

49ec1e3be56a56e968da0a143264ef80.jpeg

File photo

Two former monks have shown signs of illness during their detention at the Bangkok Remand Prison.

Doctors from the Corrections Department’s hospital have diagnosed Suwit Thongprasert, widely known as Phra Buddha Isara, with a herniated disc. 

Suwit was defrocked last Thursday and sent to jail over two charges, one over alleged unauthorised use of royal initials in amulet making and the other over his alleged actions as a co-leader of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee protests in 2014. 

Bangkok Remand Prison chief Krit Krasaetip said Suwit said he did not intend to be treated outside the prison.

“He says he can still bear the pain. He is afraid if he seeks treatments outside, he will be targeted for criticism,” Krit said. 

The other ill former monk is Somsong, previously known as Phra Attakij Sophon and the secretary to Bangkok’s monastic chief.

Doctors have found he has arrhythmia, an irregular heartbeat. Somsong was also defrocked and sent to the prison last Thursday for allegedly embezzling state funds for temples. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30346441

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-5-28

They are in jail for this "over alleged unauthorised use of royal initials in amulet making and the other over his alleged actions as a co-leader of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee protests in 2014. "

Why all the vitriol - Have I missed something??

I really don't mind being educated on the subject...politely

The Thai prison system is the biggest killer in the country. Decent food, sanitation and basic comforts are only given to the elite. Odd that other countries can manage humane prison systems but Thailand cannot.

A herniated disc is no small matter. I have this problem myself and most of those commenting here could not endure it. A humane prison system with adequate medical care is the answer.

7 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

They are in jail for this "over alleged unauthorised use of royal initials in amulet making and the other over his alleged actions as a co-leader of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee protests in 2014. "

Why all the vitriol - Have I missed something??

I really don't mind being educated on the subject...politely

All charges in legal casesstart with "alleged" - the facts are that he was involved with protests with the aim to overthrow the elected government, he was in charge of a group that umlawfully captured police officers, and as a monk he should have no direct dealing with money, let alone fraudulently creating amulets which by definition are fraudulent.

He is as corrupt as his captors - I guess that's where the vitriol comes from.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SABloke said:

All charges in legal casesstart with "alleged" - the facts are that he was involved with protests with the aim to overthrow the elected government, he was in charge of a group that umlawfully captured police officers, and as a monk he should have no direct dealing with money, let alone fraudulently creating amulets which by definition are fraudulent.

He is as corrupt as his captors - I guess that's where the vitriol comes from.

Thanks - so these fellas didn't embezzled temple funds from the poor, buy sports or vintage cars, have private jets or shag dead bodies..........I could understand the comments if that were the case...

28 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

A herniated disc is no small matter. I have this problem myself and most of those commenting here could not endure it. A humane prison system with adequate medical care is the answer.

Would that be why he was sleeping on that comfortable bed in the temple, or is the condition irrelevant to that? I see he was given some flack for that bed.

I wonder what happens to others who may have similar issues, but without the media spotlight on them?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

The Thai prison system is the biggest killer in the country. Decent food, sanitation and basic comforts are only given to the elite. Odd that other countries can manage humane prison systems but Thailand cannot.

Why is it odd? Those of us with a limited tolerance for dipshit behaviour take it for granted that Thais manage to balls up all kinds of stuff that other countries manage perfectly well.

Like speeding fines and stuff.

20 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Would that be why he was sleeping on that comfortable bed in the temple, or is the condition irrelevant to that? I see he was given some flack for that bed.

I wonder what happens to others who may have similar issues, but without the media spotlight on them?

They die and go to heaven, or wherever it is that good buddhists go.

Papua New Guinea or somewhere.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

They die and go to heaven, or wherever it is that good buddhists go.

Papua New Guinea or somewhere.

PNG? I thought they might end up up eaten alive dead there.

Could still end up in the soup though.

In fact, more people should be arrested and sent to prison, was it just for their own health, as it seems the hospital there is doing a fantastic job, diagnosing illnesses the inmates didn't have a clue, or any problem from, before being incarcerated...

No joke, come on, on top of the mountain that kamnan Po caricature of a villain not spending one-single night in a cell, when he was, a-hum, 'caught' years after being outproceeded as a murder mastermind (after another jail sentence), and so many other officials, wealthy people, police officers and other mafia gangsters, all a little bit weak, not really healthy, what a concentrated form of BS! 

Edited by bangrak
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

PNG? I thought they might end up up eaten alive dead there.

Could still end up in the soup though.

Oh.

Might be Eritrea then. It's somewhere ungodly, that much I do know...

2 hours ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Thanks - so these fellas didn't embezzled temple funds from the poor, buy sports or vintage cars, have private jets or shag dead bodies..........I could understand the comments if that were the case...

Those orange shit stains have already received their share of insults...what's your point? Because other monks do bad deeds, this guy needs to be given a break? The 'Buddhist' sect is one of the main root causes of systemic problems in this country, the other has universal legal protection so I won't call anyone out.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Srikcir said:
17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Two former monks have shown signs of illness

The disease of affluenza?

Yes, the flu - give half a chance it will probably be discovered they 'flew' out of the country.

I thought that once tossed into a Thai prison, access to medical care becomes a thing of the past.  Part of the punishment so to speak.  A violation of basic human rights?  Of course, but This is Thailand.