Marriage visa - work

Just a simple question. Is a man who is legally married to a Thai woman and living in Thailand on a marriage visa, allowed to legally work or not?

Yes, this question is a result of two people with differing opinions.

Thank you

I'm on an Annual Extension of Non-Immi O Visa based on marriage, and have no problem obtaining a Work Permit to legally work (with the proper supporting business documents & based on marriage to a Thai citizen). A Non-Immi B Visa was not required, the Non-Immi O was good enough.

Thanks for that Mark 5335, question answered.

I saw this chap in the immigration office, he had been back to the old country for a holiday, I said to him when are you back at work, he went bright red and tried to avoid speaking to me. Later I was approached by a friend of his who told me I had  inadvertently opened my mouth about something he was doing illegally. They are trying to tell me you can't work in Thailand on a marriage visa.

Doesn't matter one way or another to me, if he's legal or not,  just wanted to clarify the situation.

I believe he doesn't have a work permit, still up to him, if caught out he will probably be sorry he didn't go about it the right way.

Are Thai employers not responsible for making sure there foreign staff have work permits, just a thought.

3 minutes ago, lioness said:

Are Thai employers not responsible for making sure there foreign staff have work permits, just a thought.

Yes they are responsible and can be fined for employing foreigners without a work permit.

46 minutes ago, lioness said:

I believe he doesn't have a work permit, still up to him, if caught out he will probably be sorry he didn't go about it the right way.

I often have this arguement/discussion..  I worked for many years with a WP based on a multi entry O that was based on being married.

A lot of confusion arises because people ask Immigration ( who have nothing to do with WP's ) and Imm' 99% of the time say a B visa is required. Lawyers and agents also say B because they make money from it.

The labour dept issues WP's, no-one else does.

Edited by overherebc