Eight die in motorway crash

snoop1130

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

The fact is that these sort of collisions happen with the same frequency in Countries like the USA and UK, but the death toll is much lower.......so what's the explanation?

And where did those facts come from or is it a figment of your imagination. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Although I can't find an exact description it's obviously a wrong time.

Some sources say 18:00h, other 18:30h.

The images in the reports show that it gets dark during the rescue/clean up.

So 18:00h could be correct.

Photo taken the following morning?

37 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Yeah, I know it might be a little bit to much for some readers. However, there is a clear problem here.
When should we stop feel sad and sorry for all the, so called, accidents that happens?

People do not seem to want to learn. People do not seem to value life. People do not seem to have the possibility to abide laws and rules.
Most of all people in traffic and everyday life, just seem to care about themself and how to reach their goal/destination disregarding who they hurt/kill or what laws they break on their way.

Just maybe you have the answer for me. Why should I continue to have any kind of sympathy for these people? When is it enough? What is possible to do for people to care and watch out for their fellow human beeing in this country?

I think you'll find most people do want to learn, do value life and in most countries the majority abide by laws and rules.  

However, I for one sympathise with every race that is:

• Not given an education in anything, let alone driving 
  • 'Led' by various governments that do not care if the Hoi Polloi live or die 
  • Policed by the least law-abiding group of all. 

Those poor chaps were just sat on the verge minding their own business mowed down by some other uneducated, untrained, underpaid, unpoliced chap driving an unsafe lethal weapon.  Inevitable he would have smashed in to something eventually.

59 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Don't worry. it's just more of the usual abysmal Thai reporting and not having a clue about what the main story is.

I quite agree but by the same token I think the slack Thai reporting examples the same state of mind of many Thai road users. The inconvenience of the traffic jam is about them; who cares about anyone else? You can tell sometimes on the accident videos by the way some motorists and motorcyclists drive around bothersome victims lying on the road and disappear as fast as they can. For some the thought of stopping and helping doesn't seem to be on their minds. The fear of being delayed is of more concern.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Photo taken the following morning?

Was my first idea, but no.

Accident on Friday evening (yesterday) and picture published about two hours later.

So indeed taken shortly after the accident.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaxYakov said:

Also, in the FWIW category, a commenter on this accident said the the driver of the rear-ending lorry had stated that his sandal come off under the brake pedal and while he was dealing with that, he inadvertently changed lanes (to the shoulder) and then was unable to brake because of the sandal. Let's call this a "brake system failure", shall we?

Horrific/breathtaking but so plausible that one can believe it.

Drivers of reputable bus companies wear proper shoes but more of an exception than a rule.

Its up to the people to decide whether they want to continue the road carnage or not. Until people take ownership and responsibility for their personal safety and the safety of their community , then these accidents will continue.

Unfortunately you can't fix stupid.

Nor would I sit 1 meter from the highway in picknick style either.

They just have no sense of risk management.

Waiting, smoking, pissing, selling, buying, sitting flush to a highway is the norm.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Horrific/breathtaking but so plausible that one can believe it.

Drivers of reputable bus companies wear proper shoes but more of an exception than a rule.

Looking at images of the scene I suspect the driver of the rear-ending semi was among the deceased so the "loose sandal" excuse, as plausible as it may sound, is probably a bogus report.

Scrutinize  the third image in this Chiang Rai Times Article re the Accident

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, kwilco said:

The fact is that these sort of collisions happen with the same frequency in Countries like the USA and UK, but the death toll is much lower.......so what's the explanation?

No they don't.  People do not get run over on the hard shoulder in the UK.  Firstly, if you break down you pull to the hard shoulder and get out of your car and off the hard shoulder.  Secondly, trucks and cars never ever drive on the hard shoulder to undertake or to use it as a shortcut if there is traffic.

It is tragic but there is no education about the dangers here.  Remember the policeman getting killed by the actress when he pulled over for a nap on the motorway?  

• Like 1

No they don't.  People do not get run over on the hard shoulder in the UK.  Firstly, if you break down you pull to the hard shoulder and get out of your car and off the hard shoulder.  Secondly, trucks and cars never ever drive on the hard shoulder to undertake or to use it as a shortcut if there is traffic.

It is tragic but there is no education about the dangers here.  Remember the policeman getting killed by the actress when he pulled over for a nap on the motorway?  
They lack the capacity to imagine what could happen in the next 2 seconds.

The foresight capabilities is down to 0.1 seconds.
Approximately
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Get Real said:

Yeah, I know it might be a little bit to much for some readers. However, there is a clear problem here.
When should we stop feel sad and sorry for all the, so called, accidents that happens?

People do not seem to want to learn. People do not seem to value life. People do not seem to have the possibility to abide laws and rules.
Most of all people in traffic and everyday life, just seem to care about themself and how to reach their goal/destination disregarding who they hurt/kill or what laws they break on their way.

Just maybe you have the answer for me. Why should I continue to have any kind of sympathy for these people? When is it enough? What is possible to do for people to care and watch out for their fellow human beeing in this country?

many valid points

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cranky said:

I think you'll find most people do want to learn, do value life and in most countries the majority abide by laws and rules.  

However, I for one sympathise with every race that is:

• Not given an education in anything, let alone driving 
  • 'Led' by various governments that do not care if the Hoi Polloi live or die 
  • Policed by the least law-abiding group of all. 

Those poor chaps were just sat on the verge minding their own business mowed down by some other uneducated, untrained, underpaid, unpoliced chap driving an unsafe lethal weapon.  Inevitable he would have smashed in to something eventually.

you make many good valid points.

it is not a majority that seem to want to learn.

i 4 1 have sympathy for the guys just waiting at the side of the road. the flip side of the coin is it could have been one those guys in the future causing a horrendous accident and deaths via negligence.

agree about little to no real value education or intellectual stimulation. the mind actually has to be trained how to think. that is the big problem.

in addition the culture generally regards laws as suggestions and often the best solution is the lazy easiest one. 

to illustrate this inability to think;

yesterday i was at a prominent bkk university hospital that has a dairy queen ice cream shop inside. in very clear thai i ordered a "15 baht dip cone" gave her 15 baht and she gave me a 15 baht receipt and napkin then asked me "small or large"  i asked her "what is a 15 baht dip cone" . 

There really are some disgusting people on this forum. No empathy whatsoever. It could be your family one day! 

Yes Thailand needs to change its attitude to the relentless road carnage. 

But.... Just take one look at that photo of those beaming smiles. Literally wiped away in the seconds that proceeded that photo.  

The video shows it in an even harsher  light. 

RIP guys:( 

Edited by notasmartassknowitallfarag

15 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Looking at images of the scene I suspect the driver of the rear-ending semi was among the deceased so the "loose sandal" excuse, as plausible as it may sound, is probably a bogus report.

Scrutinize  the third image in this Chiang Rai Times Article re the Accident

Perhaps the standard 're-enactment' (plus photo op for RTP) is called for? :whistling:

24 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Perhaps the standard 're-enactment' (plus photo op for RTP) is called for? :whistling:

Heh, heh, I get your drift, but this carnage must get 're-enactments' on a minute by minute basis throughout Thailand (apparently) w/o much assistance necessary from the RTP.

This was an exceptional incident (or maybe not), so let us not forget that motorbike/cycle/scooter accidents contribute 75% of the road deaths / injuries. Thailand's "motorbike disease" is deadly and probably chronic given the mindset and economic  condition of the general population. 

• Like 1

R.I P all the dead.  When are the authorities going to take road safety seriously?  Having travelled all over Thailand, the roads are actually good and better than most in many countries.  That leaves only the drivers to blame? Someone has to take the initiative and soon.  It is not clever or smart, to lead the world in road accident statistics.  Driving licences must be tightened up, heavy penalties and imprisonment for drunk driving, and stop this driving the wrong way on almost every road in the country, just to take a short cut to a turning off on the other carriageway !

1 minute ago, flyingdoc said:

R.I P all the dead.  When are the authorities going to take road safety seriously?  Having travelled all over Thailand, the roads are actually good and better than most in many countries.  That leaves only the drivers to blame? Someone has to take the initiative and soon.  It is not clever or smart, to lead the world in road accident statistics.  Driving licences must be tightened up, heavy penalties and imprisonment for drunk driving, and stop this driving the wrong way on almost every road in the country, just to take a short cut to a turning off on the other carriageway !

I hear what you say however the individuals have to take responsibility in the first instance...……...it doesn't need a cop/a law to tell you that you are driving the wrong way up a road/motorway and could be endangering yours and others lives!!

That is "common sense" as we call it, but non too common here I'm afraid.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 9:01 PM, ratcatcher said:

I am sorry for the  dead peoples' families, but am curious as to why the scene is in  broad daylight at 7pm on Friday June 1st.  Isn't it nearly dark at that time down in Chonburi area?

it is it starts to get dark at 5. 45 in the chonburi area

10 hours ago, atyclb said:

many valid points

Ok, you have many good points. Ok mainly its the government's fault. They sooner go to China buy 3 old subs instead of putting more effort into trying to improve the system about Thais driving habits. Like eg Many years ago when they first wanted to introduce compulsory seat belt wearing In Australia. First, they advertised on Tv in prime time. In newspapers and so on. Then they said we will give you 1 months grace to adjust to this or you will be fined (Don't forget the Australian Car drivers never use to wear seat belts including me) So they educated the whole population to wear seat belts. Here the job will be massive and it will take years but they have to make a start somewhere But here are some ideas they can start with

Introduce where Thais get only get a license if they are trained in a driving school

2/ Advertise more  on Tv instead of putting the PMs face on every Friday night about the dangers on the road

3/ Retrain the police force sack the bad apples ( about 70%) to enforce traffic rules and give them the equipment and back-up they need to make sure Road rules are obeyed  eg new Patrol cars Motorbikes Also give the police a decent wage Might stamp out the corruption a bit  I guess that is a big ask but its only the tip of the iceberg. It will never happen here because the military equipment is more important than human life 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Ok, you have many good points. Ok mainly its the government's fault. They sooner go to China buy 3 old subs instead of putting more effort into trying to improve the system about Thais driving habits. Like eg Many years ago when they first wanted to introduce compulsory seat belt wearing In Australia. First, they advertised on Tv in prime time. In newspapers and so on. Then they said we will give you 1 months grace to adjust to this or you will be fined (Don't forget the Australian Car drivers never use to wear seat belts including me) So they educated the whole population to wear seat belts. Here the job will be massive and it will take years but they have to make a start somewhere But here are some ideas they can start with

Introduce where Thais get only get a license if they are trained in a driving school

2/ Advertise more  on Tv instead of putting the PMs face on every Friday night about the dangers on the road

3/ Retrain the police force sack the bad apples ( about 70%) to enforce traffic rules and give them the equipment and back-up they need to make sure Road rules are obeyed  eg new Patrol cars Motorbikes Also give the police a decent wage Might stamp out the corruption a bit  I guess that is a big ask but its only the tip of the iceberg. It will never happen here because the military equipment is more important than human life 

makes me think of the verse in john lennons "imagine" .  you may call me a dreamer but im not the only one.

how long have you lived in thailand?

seems you are describing japan

Edited by atyclb

10 minutes ago, atyclb said:

makes me think of the verse in john lennons "imagine" .  you may call me a dreamer but im not the only one.

Yeah, u are right I am a dreamer.  But I guess you can relate to the Beatles song " Nowhere Man" He's a real nowhere man sitting with his nowhere plan for nobody. As for Japan why would you say I am describing them Just looking where did I mention Japan LOL?  Guess the basics of trying to improve things is way beyond your way of thinking. So i ask How would you try to change things to improve things to try and cut the road deaths down and improve the driving habits. I am afraid it gots nothing to do with how long I have lived in Thailand it shows that I have my eyes open and can see things that are happening on Thai roads. I reckon I have a great dream for Thailand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flyingdoc said:

R.I P all the dead.  When are the authorities going to take road safety seriously?  Having travelled all over Thailand, the roads are actually good and better than most in many countries.  That leaves only the drivers to blame? Someone has to take the initiative and soon.  It is not clever or smart, to lead the world in road accident statistics.  Driving licences must be tightened up, heavy penalties and imprisonment for drunk driving, and stop this driving the wrong way on almost every road in the country

Very good point, the roads in the main are not too bad.

52 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:
1 hour ago, atyclb said:

Yeah, u are right I am a dreamer.  But I guess you can relate to the Beatles song " Nowhere Man" He's a real nowhere man sitting with his nowhere plan for nobody. As for Japan why would you say I am describing them Just looking where did I mention Japan LOL?  Guess the basics of trying to improve things is way beyond your way of thinking. So i ask How would you try to change things to improve things to try and cut the road deaths down and improve the driving habits. I am afraid it gots nothing to do with how long I have lived in Thailand it shows that I have my eyes open and can see things that are happening on Thai roads. I reckon I have a great dream for Thailand.

not at all. i choose to look at reality. your thoughts and ideas are admirable. the problem is that reality gets in the way.  to accomplich what you propose imo would mean a complete revamping of society for it to become a reality

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, atyclb said:

not at all. i choose to look at reality. your thoughts and ideas are admirable. the problem is that reality gets in the way.  to accomplich what you propose imo would mean a complete revamping of society for it to become a reality

I know it does But when you see the way some people drive here its bloody scary. I saw a car  yesterday go past our shop built up area around 7 at night he was doing at least 120 klms  wow  now that is one small step they could control But the problem is there are no cops about and he knows that

• Like 2