Another price increase for wine, it's getting silly now.

giddyup

3 hours ago, morrobay said:

Was just at Friendship market : Laughing Bird 1.5 liter is now 585 baht. <deleted> is going on here ???? 

I just saw this too...They raised the price 105 baht sense last week....This is insanity......About 2 years ago laughing bird was selling for 280 a bottle.....

Laughing bird is some cheap ass shit but drinkable.....No way its worth almost 600 baht for  1.5 liters.....

They want top dollar now for crap wine...And they keep raising the prices more and more and more every month or two....At this rate any wine will cost over 1,000 baht a bottle soon for even the lowest grade most poorly made shit fruit wine....

Edited by fforest1

9 minutes ago, garzhe said:

Then you all accept the price and next year expect another price hike. 

Not quite : just pour about 5 liters of red grape juice ( no preservatives), yeast,  sugar into a large plastic water bottle. Wait for fermentation to stop. (no CO2). Something like this best cold. About had it playing their game. 

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, garzhe said:

Then you all accept the price and next year expect another price hike. 

And we shall bitch and moan with a volume high enough to break eardrums. One of the many (and the number is only growing) downsides of Thailand. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

And we shall bitch and moan with a volume high enough to break eardrums. One of the many (and the number is only growing) downsides of Thailand. 

The price of wine or the bitching and moaning?

13 hours ago, DonaldBattles said:

The government does not want us to buy US beef or imported good wine. They keep adding taxes to make it prohibitive. 

So as trying to force us to buy their aldehydes (I meant Wine) and truck tires (I meant beef)  I don't think so. But in your post above this one you say the wine tax was about Thaksin , maybe but now it's about foreigners 

Edited by morrobay

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

So as trying to force us to buy their aldehydes (I meant Wine) and truck tires (I meant beef)  I don't think so. But in your post above this one you say the wine tax was about Thaksin , maybe but now it's about foreigners 

Sense hardly any one drinks much wine but farangs the tax is defiantly a farang tax.....I am not seeing Vodka,Whisky,or Rum being taxed to the moon...
I dont keep up with how much the high end wine prices are increasing but they seem to have a major hard on to make sure even the low grade wines and fruit wines are damm expensive....Most of the cheap charlie wines have more than doubled in price sense the latest "War On Wine" started in the past year or so...  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, l4ml4m said:

I don't know which wine price has increase, but I still buy my wine bottles 300 thb just as before !

You must be the only falang in Thailand buying wine at the old price. If you want to read what wine has been increased, start from page one.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

You must be the only falang in Thailand buying wine at the old price. If you want to read what wine has been increased, start from page one.

Could be the Charles Strong fruit wine at just over 300b now??

Aside from that I had a look around the Big C wine section and was astounded at the prices of some very ordinary wines...…..Jacobs Creek range at between 560 to 960 b a bottle for example, and a few Italian wines which have shot up in price. Villa Market the same, so am pleased I am able to source mine at much better prices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Could be the Charles Strong fruit wine at just over 300b now??

Aside from that I had a look around the Big C wine section and was astounded at the prices of some very ordinary wines...…..Jacobs Creek range at between 560 to 960 b a bottle for example, and a few Italian wines which have shot up in price. Villa Market the same, so am pleased I am able to source mine at much better prices.

As fast as the wine prices have been raising there must be a price they are shooting for that would be deemed acceptable.....It seems there can also be no discount for low grade or fruit wine either.....

Maybe the price they want is 500 baht for 750ml ? maybe its 1000 baht for 750ml ? irrespective if the wine is top class or it comes in a box..... 

I dont think they are just raising prices willy-nilly.....There must be some kind of a plan...

There is going to be alot of expired box wine stock sitting on store shelves with these constant price increases....

Edited by fforest1
  • Haha 1

We were in Bangkok last night and had our first bottle of fruit wine since returning from the UK ( where we got through 40 bottles of real wine in 25 days ) 10 weeks ago.

375 baht compared to 5 pounds a bottle . Depressing. To offset this we had a cheap evening meal in our room  from a friendly local street vendor for the grand sum of 25 baht a head. You win some you lose some.

As for the wine. Surprisingly nice but as for Y Not ......too expensive to drink again.

P_20181208_183718.jpg

P_20181208_183646.jpg

I went into Best  liquor store on 2nd road and Central..They use to have a really lively selection of wine there with good prices....The wine section looks like its been given a downsizing now....All the former cheapies like Red Sun are completely gone...And no more wine specials like they use to have.....

As wine prices increase and sales continue to drop I expect to see the wine shelf space being reduced in other stores too....

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Similar experience today........went into Villa Market and they were having a big "shift around" of their wine section, so stopped to see if any specials there!!!

Not on your life as their wines have increased in price from just a couple of weeks ago. One in particular which I bought for 550 b a short while ago (19 Crimes, and a nice Oz wine it was too) was now 685 b, this along with bottles of everyday Chianti at 700 b and a Valpolicella Ripasso at 1250 b a bottle.

Bloody ridiculous.

After been in Spain for awhile, Im looking forward to enjoy a nice expensive glass of wine at 450 baht at my fav beach restaurant. Spain is good, but nothing compare to Thailand. 

To cheep good wine everywhere you go is not healthy. This ridiculous comparing prices of cheep bad wine make me sick. 

Merry Christmas, coming home with one bottle in my suitcase. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 12:05 PM, giddyup said:

I already said that only idiots keep trying to buy the brands that they were buying and them complain about price increase !

MANY bottles are still sold 300 thb and less, so why still trying to buy the crap that had its price increased ?!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, l4ml4m said:

I already said that only idiots keep trying to buy the brands that they were buying and them complain about price increase !

MANY bottles are still sold 300 thb and less, so why still trying to buy the crap that had its price increased ?!

If you can buy old stock at those prices good for you, but wine prices have been increased across the board, why would the ones you buy for 300 baht be exempt from the extra taxation? How about naming these bargains and where they are available? And calling people idiots for trying to buy reasonably priced wine, whatever the brand, isn't doing yourself any favors.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

If you can buy old stock at those prices good for you, but wine prices have been increased across the board, why would the ones you buy for 300 baht be exempt from the extra taxation?

As far as I know the price of the so-called "fruit wines" increased much more than the price of real wine, because the fruit wines were taxed very differently due to them being fermented here from imported concentrate.

That loophole was closed a while ago which caused the massive increases. Real wine went up somewhat less, though it still went up, and now the cost difference between the two is smaller than it was.

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

After been in Spain for awhile, Im looking forward to enjoy a nice expensive glass of wine at 450 baht at my fav beach restaurant. Spain is good, but nothing compare to Thailand. 

To cheep good wine everywhere you go is not healthy. This ridiculous comparing prices of cheep bad wine make me sick. 

Merry Christmas, coming home with one bottle in my suitcase. 

Sure, because expensive wine is healthy and will never make you sick.