Island hopping with a 10kg suitcase and a mild disability. Is there assistance available for luggage for this kind of thing?

LandOfSmiles99

On 6/5/2018 at 3:38 AM, simoh1490 said:

Perhaps consider taking the ferry from Krabi Town port to Railey, that involves a walk down concrete steps and then a level walk onto the boat.

Are the concrete steps steep/is there something to grip walking down them?

On 6/4/2018 at 5:45 AM, RayD said:

In Phuket at the moment. Firstly, if you want to go to the islands, start on the Krabi side, not Phuket. The reason is the resorts in Phuket are on the west side but the docks and islands are to the east so every trip involves a lengthy minibus ride to the other side of the island.

If I do the following can I do it with easily accessible ferries? (if flights aren't available)

Bankgkok -> Ao Nang. Some island day trips in Ao Nang. Which ones are best? A taxi to Krabi town and then a ferry to Railay Beach is one I have in mind (after some helpful feedback in this thread)

Ao Nang -> Phi Phi. How is this best done given the circumstances I described? Did I read right that there are no cars in Phi Phi? So what happens after you get off the ferry?

Phi Phi -> Phuket. Ferry only here?

In Phuket, what area is best for island day trips? *Easily accessible* day trips ?

Phuket -> Samui. This one can be done by plane if I'm remembering right

At some stage I want to see the amazingly well reviewed  Chiang Mai too so that'll be probably next after

How is Koh Phangan best accessed?

Thanks again for all the helpful feedback

On 6/4/2018 at 2:42 PM, simoh1490 said:

Dude, hundreds of thousands of tourists go to Phi Phi and Railey and drink alcohol, why you managed to find somewhere that wouldn't serve you only you will know although bars typically don't serve alcohol to people under age 15!

http://www.phiphi.phuket.com/top10/top10-phiphi-nightlife.htm

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g1597036-Activities-c20-t99-Railay_Beach_Krabi_Town_Krabi_Province.html

I was staying on the adjacent beach, Tonai. Had no problems there at all. Took a longtail over to Railay, walked into the first restaurant, was refused a pork dish because the restaurant was Muslim. Just my luck to pick the only one maybe, but that is what happened.

On what we were told was Phi Phi the guide on the boat said alcohol was not available and there was a sign on the beach for a Muslim prayer room. Again, I'm just telling you what happened. Maybe the guide was having us on and it wasn't Phi Phi or it was a different beach or something. Anyway it was pi$$ing down and no beer or bar to drink it in was not enhancing my holiday mood and I was glad to get back to Thailand.

PS I'm a wee bit over 15. By about half a century.

On 6/5/2018 at 8:45 PM, Mac98 said:

A friend visiting from Canada had limitations similar to yours. He tipped the taxi driver to get his suitcase out to the boat, then the boat crew loaded it. Getting off was more difficult. No one to help with luggage, the boat was bouncing wildly in the chop, and then getting run over by Chinese passengers making a beeline for some buffet or other. Take a girl with you. She can help with negotiations too.

I'll be solo Mac but thanks for the reply

Do you remember what islands your Canadian friend did?

On 6/3/2018 at 2:53 PM, simoh1490 said:

No they don't, the journey is only 2,5 hours anyway (3.5 hours by road) - Koh Yai and Phi Phi are in the middle although Ao Nang is closer for Koh Lanta but that's really all there is.

I've done both the ferry and road but seem to remember the road trip a little longer like closer to 5 hours but it was awhile ago and my memory isn't what it once was. The reason I traveled by road was the ferry to Phuket wasn't running, I thought it was because it was low season but it may have been weather related, again my memory fails me. I go to Ao Nang often but flying from BKK most times as cheap enough or occaisionally overnight train, sleeper 2nd class and bus from Surat Thani I think it is. She wants to do Railay aswell so personally I'd base myself at Ao Nang but I don't like Phuket that much so that's a personel thing.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:48 PM, simoh1490 said:

Part of the beauty of places such as Railey is that they are not developed, they are unspoilt and natural and yes, oddly,you do get wet when you wade ashore! If you want to take a longtail from Railey to say Ao nang (15 mins) I'm afraid you'll have to do what everybody else does and wade out into the water, climb the ladder up the side of the boat and get in, ditto getting off the boat! Have you not read up on Railey Beach and what it's like?

The tractor trailer meets the longtail if the longtail can't get any closer to shoe - passengers jump from one to the other and the tractor pulls the trailer back to shore where people jump off, onto the jetty of concrete shore.

Seems things have changed at Railay. When I went from Krabi years ago, and the tide was out we had to walk through the mud for a great distance. The tractor/ trailer was only for the people staying at the expensive resort by the climbing cliff, and they came on the resort's private boat.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:29 PM, RayD said:

I was staying on the adjacent beach, Tonai. Had no problems there at all. Took a longtail over to Railay, walked into the first restaurant, was refused a pork dish because the restaurant was Muslim. Just my luck to pick the only one maybe, but that is what happened.

On what we were told was Phi Phi the guide on the boat said alcohol was not available and there was a sign on the beach for a Muslim prayer room. Again, I'm just telling you what happened. Maybe the guide was having us on and it wasn't Phi Phi or it was a different beach or something. Anyway it was pi$$ing down and no beer or bar to drink it in was not enhancing my holiday mood and I was glad to get back to Thailand.

PS I'm a wee bit over 15. By about half a century.

I'm pretty sure that all those bagpackers wouldn't be going to Phi Phi to party if there was an alcohol ban.

Perhaps the guide was referring to the restaurant you had your meal in.

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm pretty sure that all those bagpackers wouldn't be going to Phi Phi to party if there was an alcohol ban.

Perhaps the guide was referring to the restaurant you had your meal in.

After buggering about with google earth I think we went to long beach rather than the main area. Long beach, or at least the end we were, seems to be an alcohol free muslim enclave.

So, top tip, if they say they are going to Phi Phi, check where on Phi Phi exactly.

I'm a bit miffed about this, it's like saying you'll take someone to London for lunch and then going to Southwark.

On 6/5/2018 at 12:00 PM, robblok said:

My major problem with them is and this year I will use them again (for some routes there is not much of an alternative) that they overfill them at times that some people have to sit at the front or even stand. That is just bad you pay a fee you should have a seat. If your in the front and the see is rough those waves can really hurt. But the overloading is the main problem they try to squeeze every baht out of the tourist they can. I would gladly pay a bit more but less people on the boat so all do have a seat and are not crammed in.

I'm presuming these things come with lifejackets

If your mobility impaired, or not, try ko tarutao, one stop before phi phi on the same ferry.

its a a national park non party island and has a shuttle to bungalows on the far ends. Places mobility challenged would not usually enjoy (don't let the park rangers tell you to stay by the dock, you are allowed to go anywhere on the island and catch the cart to the far bungalows around the shore at the far ends)

Edited by Dick Crank
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 6:55 AM, robblok said:

I always tell my mom to take less with her as at some time or an other you will have to carry it yourself.

Cheers

The amount of clothes I'm putting in the case has decreased drastically after reading this thread

All I really need is a week's worth, then Laundry and repeat

Just now, LandOfSmiles99 said:

Cheers

The amount of clothes I'm putting in the case has decreased drastically after reading this thread

All I really need is a week's worth, then Laundry and repeat

Every year i see that even I pack too much, but the main weight i carry is snorkeling gear as i love it. Yes all you need is a weeks worth, you can get laundry done all over the islands. Its real easy to pack too much. 

• Like 1

On Monday, June 04, 2018 at 1:18 PM, RayD said:

Obviously I was imagining it when I was told I couldn't have pakapow moo on Railay or alcohol on Phi Phi yesterday. Lucky you are here to correct me.

Nonsense phi phi is a big party island. 

The only reason you may be turned away is if you are Indian or Pakistani 

They don't want you nursing a small beer for 4 hours. Sorry but that's reality. Pattaya go go bars are ruthless when turning away Indians 

On 6/3/2018 at 9:45 PM, RayD said:

In Phuket at the moment. Firstly, if you want to go to the islands, start on the Krabi side, not Phuket. The reason is the resorts in Phuket are on the west side but the docks and islands are to the east so every trip involves a lengthy minibus ride to the other side of the island. The boats are running normally but if it rains you will get wet. The boat boys are very helpful but be prepared to tip. Also note that Railay and Phi Phi are Muslim so no or limited pork or alcohol.

Gee, when I was at Railay beach, the bars were doing a roaring trade in booze. What changed?

If you are spending time around the islands in the Andaman Sea just be aware that the best time to visit is actually December and you are coming in the rainy monsoonal season.

Whereas just across the peninsula in the Gulf of Thailand ...Samui etc experience fairly dry weather.

Also be aware Maya Bay (Phi Phi's raison d'etre) on Phi Phi Ley will be closed to visitors during your visit.

You have actually chosen the best time to visit Chiang Mai as during the dry season it has a pollution issue.

Story time.....

I haved lived in Southern Thailand off and on for the past 20 years......

Like most places around the world...some people can be so friendly and helpful while others not so much.

A few years ago I rented a longtail to see the islands around Ao nang ….

I subsequently went snorkeling and on returning to the boat I attempted to reboard via the short ladder ...similar as pictured before. 

Doing this in deep water if you are not particularly flexible can be difficult as you have to pull most of your body weight clear of the water before you can get a foothold on the bottom run of the ladder.

Some owners tie a loop of rope around the bottom rung of the ladder and this makes it very easy to board.

The surly boat owner flatly refused to give me a hand up when asked. I even offered him money. 

I didn't persevere as I still needed him to take me back to shore in Ao Nang and eventually hauled myself back into the boat. 

That night I experienced the most excruciating pain in the chest.

I thought I was having a heart attack. On consulting a doctor he explained that I had just torn some muscles in my chest cavity.

One night actually 2am in the morning whilst travelling along a lonely road in Samui on the way back to my hotel, I was kicked out of a taxi by the surly driver during a monsoonal downpour demanding double our agreed fare.

Moral of the story......

Seriously be careful travelling alone....don't expect all thais to be helpful....and always be respectful especially to southern alpha males.

Edited by sanuk21

On Monday, June 04, 2018 at 5:36 PM, robblok said:

My 71 year old mother can get into those longtails, but it is not always easy. You will get wet that is for sure, no way you can stay dry 100%. All the stepping and moving requires a bit of agility sometimes there are people there who will help you to pull you on or help you off. 

If this all worries you too much you might not be the type of person that should do this. I don't know how disabled you are but if the prospect of doing this worries you it might not be the best thing to do.  I included a picture so you can understand what kind of steps we are talking about.. depending how deep it is it can be that you need to wade more or longer. 

Andaman-Camp-and-Cruises-Longtail-Boat.jpg

Like your mum I would prefer to be a fit 71 year old rather than have a disability. 

Anybody with weakness in the legs eg.. Nerve damage can walk well on the footpath but climbing in and out of Longtails or trying to board a boat in rough weather will be a struggle with potential for injury. 

Often your required to get off a ferry and jump into a Longtail not a big jump but still got to balance your feet on the boat railing and hop on in . No place for even the mildly disabled 

On 6/17/2018 at 11:32 AM, InMyShadow said:

Like your mum I would prefer to be a fit 71 year old rather than have a disability. 

I actually find that statement so offensive it does a full 180 around to being hilarious ?

You don't know the extent of my disability or what I can and can't do

I walk 20 - 25km a week and I guarantee I'm fitter than some 31 year olds let alone 71 year old ones. I've walked a full 10k in one day in 5 different countries .... and Thailand will be my next

Please engage your brain before replying to this thread again. Or - better still  .... don't! ?

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, LandOfSmiles99 said:

Hi guys

On the same topic, how manageable is Koh Samui to  Koh Tao?

Cheers

That'll be one of the easiest ferry trips you ever do. You jump on the Lomprayah at Samui to Phangan. You MAY have to transfer ferries at Phangan, sit around for a while and get back on a Lomprayah to Tao. 

I've always gotten off at Phangan for a few days so can't remember if the Samui ferry continues (so Phangan is just a stop)

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2018 at 1:14 AM, alt said:

That'll be one of the easiest ferry trips you ever do. You jump on the Lomprayah at Samui to Phangan. You MAY have to transfer ferries at Phangan, sit around for a while and get back on a Lomprayah to Tao. 

I've always gotten off at Phangan for a few days so can't remember if the Samui ferry continues (so Phangan is just a stop)

Thanks a lot.

I've since seen some videos of the trip and it looks very easy and Koh Tao looks perfect*

* (I've read it's run by Thai mafia - but cosmetically it is absolutely stunning)