Disturbing request while getting tourist visa

As ststed by Tim, it´s better to make another choice than Penang to get your tourist visa. On the other hand, the problem is niether Penang or any other place that provide them.
I guess this is something we will see more of in a near future in more countries and emassies, due to that there are too many people using tourist visas for entering the country and doing illegal acts. Also too many using tousit visas for basically living and making a living in Thailand. Unfortunately you and every other tourist that follows the rules, will eventually have to suffer for what other people do.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

So no more round the world trips allowed now ??

Go to Thailand, go home

Go to China, go home

Go to Australia, go home

Go to Mexico, go home

Going to take forever to go everywhere I want to go ?

There is nothing stopping you from getting a visa exemption on arrival or getting a visa elsewhere.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, kannot said:

I just ignore the crap they sometimes  spout or agree  but never  do it so they think they are "the  boss".

Once at my annual renewal the immigration officer said  that "next year" instead of an extension based on marriage I should change to "retirement".

She was quite  pushy about it. I just smiled  but never did and never heard anything of it in subsequent renewals.

The reason she did this is.................its  a  lot LESS work for them, lazy buggers!!

And also less paperwork for you. (Though double the money).

It does defy logic, in the OPs case he obviously wont be entering Thailand direct from the US, he is in Malaysia. It appears they dont care where the flight came from to enter Thailand but when you leave you need to go back to the country that issued your passport, a country you may not have been to in many years.

Is it return to the country you flew in from or return to the country of your passport ?

Edited by Peterw42

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I know, it was said tongue in cheek buddy...

Their rational for coming up with these silly rules is mind boggling though ?

Maybe they're told to crack down on multiple visas.

• Like 1

Maybe they're told to crack down on multiple visas.

"I am a US citizen...."

1 minute ago, cornishcarlos said:

That's fine but trying to dictate where someone goes after visiting Thailand, is like trying to get the U.K to disclose Yinlucks address ?

It not dictating anything. It's stating the requirements to obtain a particular visa. If you want to do otherwise than get the visa exemption at the border then extend and do whatever you like. They aren't dictating anything.

This entire site is born of the desire to game the visa system to stay as long as possible in a foreign country because it's a cheap place to live. There is nothing mind boggling about the reasoning for the rules. 

2 minutes ago, MiWV said:

This entire site is born of the desire to game the visa system to stay as long as possible in a foreign country because it's a cheap place to live. There is nothing mind boggling about the reasoning for the rules. 

No, it's mind boggling how they make up rules to suit their mood...

Nothing on the Thai Embassy website states you need a return flight to your "home country"...

The pets forum on here has no mention of visa, so it's not this entire site ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yes they are, as it's not a requirement for a tourist visa. 

They are making up rules as they see fit at local level.

I think onward travel ticket has always been a requirement, the where to aspect is a local addition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kannot said:

I just ignore the crap they sometimes  spout or agree  but never  do it so they think they are "the  boss".

Once at my annual renewal the immigration officer said  that "next year" instead of an extension based on marriage I should change to "retirement".

She was quite  pushy about it. I just smiled  but never did and never heard anything of it in subsequent renewals.

The reason she did this is.................its  a  lot LESS work for them, lazy buggers!!

I like to defend these IO;s just in this case. I dont know how familiar you are overall. But for me that have heard really many people thinking and believing that "I am married to a thai lady, so I must get a marriage extension of stay..."

Many people really think this, yes people are that stupid. The IO:s sees this happening mayby every day, so dont judge them too hard...

glegolo

• Like 1