Travelling to Laos with Thailand blacklist stamp?

11 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

How do you get a Canadian passport with a 2 year validity, they are issued for 5 and 10 years.?

Applied from Khon Kaen to the Canadian embassy in Bangkok via mail.  Didn't have valid photo ID (ie. driver's license) as lost my wallet long time ago in Thailand, and the only way to get photo ID was to be back in Canada.  Managed to convince the government to issue the 2 year limited validity passport instead of issuing me a ETD (emembergency travel document).

In hindsight, wish I would have only gotten that ETD.  Could have flown back to Canada, had a new passport within days, and would have been back in Asia right away.  Didn't know I was going to get banged up at the Laos border like that though, especially since I cleared a 3.5 year overstay there once and was allowed to walk right into Laos without issue.  Obviously, that was before the blacklisting laws took effect.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

How do you get a Canadian passport with a 2 year validity, they are issued for 5 and 10 years.?

By losing more than one.

Take care of your passport

You must take care of your passport. If you’ve had more than one passport reported lost, stolen, or damaged, we may:

• ask you to provide proof of travel before we issue you a new passport
  • limit your passport's validity

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/security/lost-stolen-inaccessible-damaged-found.html

7 hours ago, BlindCanuck said:

Maybe I could just do that.  I am blind afterall, so could pretty easily have a "blind moment" in Mexico, and lose my passport.  But then a whole RCMP investigation gets opened, and you get scolded to no end my passport officers, etc.  Could be 6 months before I get a new passport, or if they by chance recorded by two previous tries to get a new passport issued, they could just be dicks say "we believe you lost it intentionally", and refuse me passport services for 5 or 10 years. 

Would prefer not to chance it.

And they'd be right, after the first sentence in post #8

1 hour ago, HungDonger said:

If you decide to fly from Canada I'd recommend choosing an Airline that doesn't fly via Bangkok

Yeah, of course, although don't even think that would be an issue.  As long as I stay within the secure area of BKK, and don't hit immigration, I imagine I would be fine.  Can't see the police grabbing me when I deplane, and sure they would wait for me to hit immigration.

That would be a good way to really piss me off though.  Send me back to the IDC, and deport me again before I even had a chance to try Vientiane.  Who knows, maybe I'd get the same cell, and some of the guys I met are still in there.  Some of those poor guys have been in there for 14+ months, as they have no friends / family on the outside, no money for a flight home, and the cops could care less about anyone there.

21 hours ago, BlindCanuck said:

Yes, blacklisted from Thailand until April 2023, and that's fine with me.  However, was also refused entry at the Nong Khai border as we were travelling by land as we had two dogs with us, plus were only travelling from Khon Kaen.  Was refused due to that blacklist stamp.

I know there's many times different immigration rules all over the world depending on whether you travel via land or air.  I'm just wondering if anyone has experience flying into Vientiane from a western country like Canada with that Thailand blacklist stamp in their passport?

I really don't want to wait until February 2019 to get a new passport before I can get my family back together.  However, if I fly out there and get turned away, all in it's going to cost about $3500 just to fly all the way there, hang out in a holding cell for a couple days, and fly back to Canada.

Anyone have experience?

Report passport as lost and get new one?

5 hours ago, Gerefan said:

So not only have you overstayed in Thailand but you have already overstayed in Laos...No wonder nobody wants you again.

Thaivisa members may (or may not) wish to read more about this exciting story on...

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?19830-Reverse-Culture-Shock

Sounds like he was talking about clearing a Thai overstay.

7 hours ago, zxzoomy said:

A 2017 news story which supports the suggestion of not flying via Bangkok: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30326576

Though avoiding Bangkok and Laos Air would limit the options. Changing one's name would also require a new passport.

Not exactly relevant to this case since the person in that case was being deported from the country.

16 hours ago, BlindCanuck said:
18 hours ago, HungDonger said:

If you decide to fly from Canada I'd recommend choosing an Airline that doesn't fly via Bangkok

Yeah, of course, although don't even think that would be an issue.  As long as I stay within the secure area of BKK, and don't hit immigration, I imagine I would be fine.  Can't see the police grabbing me when I deplane, and sure they would wait for me to hit immigration.

In addition to possible immigration hassles in Thailand - which could include not being allowed to even board to plane to Bangkok - there is the issue of flying From Thailand to Laos with a Blacklisting from Thailand.

A flight through Vietnam (or Singapore, as suggested above) would be a better bet.

On 6/4/2018 at 9:06 AM, FritsSikkink said:

You can read pretty good for a blind person.

Why shouldn't he?

My nephew is blind and uses a number of text to speech/speech to text programs that allow him to function as an HR manager in a large HMO.  

• Like 1