problem with extreme noise

pakunu

I had a similar problem in another Asian country with door slammers in the middle of the night. As I left my house at 6am, I was sure to make sure I woke them up as I left. Wake them when they sleep. Play I am too sexy for my clothes of the Barbie song over and over again.

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I guess you have never really had to live with noisy base music from a neighbour.  

The base beat will still be heard through earplugs, and just as loud... just a bit muffled.  You can feel the base beats through your bones.. so earplugs are not going to solve the problem.

Foam earplugs will mute that sound.  I used them offshore to sleep a few feet away from 1500 HP diesel generators that would have drowned out any car stereo ever built, punctuated by roughnecks picking up and running pipe off a rack that wasn't exactly optimized for quiet.

When they were demolishing the house next door (20 meters away) in BKK, my whole apartment building shook for days.  I put in a pair of foam earplugs and couldn't hear a thing.  And I guaranty you a jackhammer and 5 guys on sledgehammers are louder than any car amplifier in the boondocks.

When I went off to college and stayed in the student slums (our name for it), I was 25 meters away from the train tracks.   After 2 weeks, I didn't even wake up or take notice when a train went by and rocked the whole flimsy wood frame house we lived in.

Also reminds me when I was a kid and we moved from Chicago to the suburbs.  Couldn't sleep for weeks because it was so quiet- no traffic noises.  It's always worse the first few days or weeks while you're getting acclimated. 

Earplugs aren't perfect, but they don't create untenable situations like some of the other suggestions may. 

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

If he is not listening to complaints from other Thais, he won't be listening to a mere falang. His response would be " It's my country, and I'll do what I like".

A more connected Thai may stop him. You won't. Perhaps you should be grateful he quits at 10 pm and restarts at 7 am.

Buy earplugs, or move.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, idman said:

Order some sink bombs from Amazon, get a sling shot and when this ar..sehole starts up with his antics again simply fire two or three at a time in his direction.  These little tubes shatter on impact and the smell will drive him inside. If you are able, aim for him gear and that will guarantee he won't be using it for quite a while.  Stay out of sight and repeat as often as necessary until he learns his lesdon.

I hope you are not serious. One course of action that should never be taken by a foreigner in Thailand, under any circumstances, is escalation of the problem; it never ends well except for the local.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Build a big wall at the edge of your land, build a second one a meter inwards and fill the space in between with sand. 

If that doesn't work, break down the wall and throw the bricks to him or his music equipment, cover them both with sand.

Double wall will stop the sound better without the sand.

31 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

I hope you are not serious. One course of action that should never be taken by a foreigner in Thailand, under any circumstances, is escalation of the problem; it never ends well except for the local.

Utter nonsense.

Many of us seem to have the same problem.

Where  I live it seems like as soon as one family shuts down another one starts up. Just unable to exist without noise.

Problem with making any complaint and one which should be taken seriously is that Thais can be very vindictive people .

• Like 1

You would probably be messing with that person's livelihood and he would not take too kindly to that. 

An unfortunate side to living in Thailand. You have to put up with it or else.

You can only hope that at some point in time he runs out of customers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Had a guy park his speaker truck in our neighbours yard. Started it one day. You just have to go over quietly (not hard with blaring music), tell them to turn it down. They get so shocked that someone has actually has confronted them that they instantly apologise and never turn it on again (they find somewhere else). Saying you have a baby is also a massive help with sound/smoke. 

If this fails, go to Tessaban one more time and video it. Then tell the Tessaban if you do not do anything about it you will take the matter to the military tribunal (located usually where the governor sits himself). Free of charge, they will listen to the evidence, and they will not only solve the problem (if they deem there is a problem), but will also rip into the Tessaban officials for not acting on it. It is the only place the Tessaban is scared of with nuisance issues. Obviously collect your evidence, videos, recordings, photos etc etc. 

Some Tessabans get lazy as it is not only the official, but also the Mayor who has to sign off on the fine (for the police to act on it). Many Mayors do not like doing it, especially if the person has a big family/big mouth/or influential as that is a percentage of the population not voting for him next election. 

Being farang has no bearings on these issues. That is a bit of a TV myth. 

Good advice, probably better than my earlier idea.

We had a problem with our British neighbors who were partying 2-3 times a week for almost two years in the front yard of their house here in Bangkok. They would party until 2:00-3:00 AM and keep everyone on the block from sleeping due to the loud noise, music and singing (yes singing, bad singing I might add). We tried speaking to them and asked politely if they could keep the noise down, and of course they ignored our requests. Since we live in a gated community, they were told by the moo baan that they must be quiet after 9:00 PM and move their parties inside after that time. Again, they ignored the request. We then started calling the police, who would only come after 11:00 PM since they were not breaking any noise ordinances before that time. The police would come and talk to them, and soon as the police left, they would start up again. We also contacted their Thai landlord who lives in Australia, who did nothing to rectify the situation. 

We finally contacted an attorney through a government funded legal-aid program. Not only did they take the case, they said we (and the other neighbors) were entitled to be compensated for loss of sleep, being subjected to the constant noise and bad behavior. However, according to the attorney, by Thai law it was the landlord that we had to sue for failing to control their tenants. The threat of being taken to court worked, the landlord cracked down on their tenants and threatened them with eviction should the noise continue, and the tenants haven't had a single late-night party in the past 9 months. We have suspended the lawsuit for now, but will reopen the suit should the neighbors revert to their past ways.

Our case mostly doesn't apply to the OP, but for others who think there is nothing they can do, that's not always the case. Btw, more than one person suggested "planting" ya-baa on their property and calling the police, but I didn't want anything to do with that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

Btw, more than one person suggested "planting" ya-baa on their property and calling the police, but I didn't want anything to do with that.

Or you could have bought a gun.

8 hours ago, jackdd said:

... but if the government / police doesn't want to do anything, how do you want to get in enforced?

Very easy!!! Make a video of the loud music and take some witnesses. It give decibel test apps / noise meters for mobile phones. Download one and check how loud it is. Report it if necessary 2-3 times to the police together with witnesses and make a video of it. If the police not action about it, report it to newspapers / local tv and also to the police headquater in Bangkok.

I don't know why so much people living here long time and never understand how it run. If something comes in the news, it RUN!!! The old "Lost of face problem!!!" for the police. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You can only hope that at some point in time he runs out of customers.

Or with any luck he has an accident and dies.

These selfish people do not deserve to live.

There are also laws about most things in Thailand, but no-one takes any notice because everyone knows they will not be enforced. The only way to get anything done is through an 'influential person'. Otherwise it's like pissing in the wind. You could come off worse. Thais do not like being told what to do, about anything. It damages their fragile ego and makes them lose face.

A shame that you quoted me completely out of context.

As I mentioned, in cities complaining about any breach of the law can work - and I have some experience of it working - but in a rural area it is indeed probably a waste of time. One reason why I would never live in a rural area in Thailand.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Earplugs cost a few baht a pair.

Sucks, but sometimes that's the best solution.  At least until they piss off a well connected local.

wax ones from boots are best, I have them in almost 24/7, it's barking dogs with us. They all leave them in the yards all day while out at work, we have complained, they just never talk to us again!

4 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

A shame that you quoted me completely out of context.

As I mentioned, in cities complaining about any breach of the law can work - and I have some experience of it working - but in a rural area it is indeed probably a waste of time. One reason why I would never live in a rural area in Thailand.

Yep! Them  dang  roosters   do start  up  early !  All  night   some.

But.....probably.......your lack  of experience  of  living  in a rural  area.... acknowledges  that  your  opinion  has  no  real  valid basis.

If  the  cause  for a  genuine  complaint is eventually taken to the  right  level  with equal  humility  for the   cause of  complaint the  outcome is  generally  satisfactory.

12 hours ago, mogandave said:

Ever heard of a shop house?

I guess he has, so have I. Unlike Thais, who do not make much difference between a shop house, living room, kitchen, bedroom.. For them, house/home is a single space where one can fulfil all the daily needs of one's life. Run a business, watch TV, eat, sleep.

Somebody mentioned "home shops".

I had someone move next door to me in the US in a neighborhood zoned as Residential only. He repaired cars I found out.

This led to tow trucks dropping off cars in the very late evening, with the loud backup warning sounds and other noises involved.

Then there were several guys working  during the day with electric sanders, etc. in his backyard where he was putting cars.

I had to call the police several times, but they gave him warnings each time and explained the regulations (he and his family seemed to have immigrated from another country which probably lacked such regulations. Possibly he was first generation US).

He ended up moving.

Apparently there are no zoning regulations in Thailand where there are neighborhoods zoned strictly as Residential?

Edited by JimmyJ

23 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

My Wife complained to Phu Yai Baan who said as it was his house he can do whatever he wanted.

Yeah.  Amazing and kind of an oxymoron that Thailand, which has so many coups and takeovers that the population bows down to and obeys, giving up their own free choice then have the mentality above.  Do whatever you want.  yeah well, the coup leaders often do

Paying the local police to find him guilty of something and arresting him may be your only option.   If his house burned down he may move.  If he rents, find the owner and pay them to evict him.   You can only deal with animals by being animalistic.   Confrontation not good as most thai men are spoiled 9 year old boys.

I've been living in Thailand for a very long time, well over 30 years now, lived in several different provinces, and rented some great houses & condos in my time. I guess I've had to move about a dozen times due to noise. I've had a little mom & pop shop across the road change hands and get turned into a karaoke bar, I've had Thais next door turn their driveways into metalwork shops and cut steel all day long, I've had vacant land nearby suddenly become funfairs or likay shows. I could go on and on but the bottom line is in all these cases the only option I had was to move away.

• Like 1