Thai drivers License no longer accepted

Kasikorn Bank has changed it's Foreigner ID requirements. I was abruptly told my Thai driver's license could not be used as Identification at the Bank. Without any warning they refused access to an account I had there. Passports is the only thing they accept now. So I had to drive through heavy traffic to my home get my passport and return to the bank. A complete pain. They could have said from now on bring your passport and given me access, very abrupt and impolite and no warning of rule change. I am not sure if other banks requirements have changed. So heads up bring your passport.

• Like 2

Useful information...I was only in Kasikorn bank (Promenada branch) on Saturday and withdrew a reasonably large amount from my account using my driving licence as ID. At what branch did this occur?

Also, I wonder if they'll accept my passport details from the images on my phone? I was stopped at a police checkpoint earlier this year and asked for my passport, they were happy to take details from my phone and sent me on my way with a smile.

Regards,

Joe

Edited by Shoeless Joe
typo

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I never tried to do any business at the counter without passport.

So I am more surprised that a DL was accepted (which would not be for Thai citizens).

Could you really do withdraw or get new ATM card with PIN entry based on a Thai DL? 

Yes, every month withdrawing circa 60k baht for the past five years and using my Thai driving licence as ID (of course, I also had my bank book too).

Regards,

Joe

24 minutes ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Useful information...I was only in Kasikorn bank (Promenada branch) on Saturday and withdrew a reasonably large amount from my account using my driving licence as ID. At what branch did this occur?

Also, I wonder if they'll accept my passport details from the images on my phone? I was stopped at a police checkpoint earlier this year and asked for my passport, they were happy to take details from my phone and sent me on my way with a smile.

Regards,

Joe

Were the staff awake.

Not my choice of a branch with focused staff, one of the service desk ladies is great, the rest are asleep, A few months back my Thai son tried to get a not difficult specific answer regarding one of their services. They didn't know the answer, son asked them to call their HO, response  'cannot, not polite'.

He gave up and we just walked out. 

Sorry maybe I misunderstood , do you have a Kasikorn  bank account ?  Why don't you just use your ATM card? 

I never contact the staff except when I need a bankbook .  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Over more than 10 years of dealing with various Thailand banks in Bangkok I have never been able to use either my DL or Pink ID card to make a counter withdrawal or get a new bankbook. They have always required my actual passport and then make a copy that I must sign. That copy is attached to the withdrawal/bankbook renewal document.  

I have opened accounts at KBank and SCB using my pink ID and Tabien Baan only, no passport involved.

But sometimes you need to be firm with bank clerks. Oftentimes they're not too sure themselves what is required from a non-Thai.

18 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I got into the habit very early on in my life in Thailand to always have my passport on me when doing any worthwhile business.

That may be fine if you only do occasional worthwhile business.

But if you need to sign documents requiring ID every day, it isn't.

5 minutes ago, thedemon said:

That may be fine if you only do occasional worthwhile business.

But if you need to sign documents requiring ID every day, it isn't.

I'm another that carries my passport and uses it.

How is carrying a passport any more of a hassle than carrying an id or license?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I never tried to do any business at the counter without passport.

So I am more surprised that a DL was accepted (which would not be for Thai citizens).

Could you really do withdraw or get new ATM card with PIN entry based on a Thai DL?

Well it has your full name, passport number and picture on it, that's all the information they need. Why wouldn't they accept it??

• Thanks 2

You can fly domestically with a Thai Driver's License, check into hotels and the much less secure telbanking allows movement of funds - all without the passport.
Had the same request last time at the Bangkok Bank's branch next to Numchai on Sukhumvit/Pattaya. I told them that I've been dealing with them for many many years and always with my TDL. "No cannot anymore" I was told. I told them that, if I would have to drive home now to get my passport they should use the time to balance all my accounts as I would change the bank to a more modern institute. Worked wonders - never ever anybody asked for the passport, the TDL is enough (as that one is issued based on a passport anyway). 

It is not a bank regulation but more a local fart of those wannabe-big-bank-branch-managers again! 

• Like 1

Gotta say Im not a fan of Kasikorn banks branch customer service, always rude, will never budge an inch and that is in all of the branches,

I tell you a quick story, i was in Mukdahan doing a visa trip which i had  travelled from Bangkok, i lost my ATM card so I went to the branch to get a new one.. even after explaining my predicament and showed them my passport, + a valid Kasikorn bank signed credit card they still refused to give me a new card without my bank book..

If it wasn't for the the fact that Kasikorn bank phone service helped me by extended my credit limit on my credit card and i was then able to draw cash on that i would of been screwed.

Very unhelpful

13 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Regards,

Joe

All different branches of Thai banks make up their own rules. This is Thailand, the country where bosses of all establishments just love their authority.

• Like 2

Well OP you should be carrying a copy of your passport in your vehicle it's a requirement.

Bank I use will except a copy when making a withdrawal. 

I carry a passport copy in my wallet too, a good idea to have a picture of passport on your phone too as mentioned.  

I use Krungsri. At the main service center I use, since 2012 when HSBC sold their retail business to them, they've never liked using my DL; and many of the staff transferred from HSBC and have known me for nearly 15 years! On occasion they've hunted for a copy of my passport from their files rather than use the DL! But that's for certain transactions not simple withdrawls.

At branches, even the big local one where staff also recognize me after several years, they insist on passport for large withdrawls or payment transfers ex account. Last week I paid my and wifey's health insurance, a sizeable sum. I had my DL and a copy of my passport. But she was nervous without the original passport being seen and used my wife's ID. Luckily I was using a joint account that day rather than single one.

They also want to see PP and Thai ID when issuing new bank books and do verify the signatures - I've seen them check. 

It's a pain if things are changed without prior notice. But rather that than the pain of having your money pinched by some conniving fraudster.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The only time I carry my original passport around, is when I am leaving the country, or have lost my ATM card or bank book, and need to get them replaced. Any other time, the DL and a color copy of my passport seems to be fine, along with my ATM card. I refuse to carry my original passport for anyone. Not gonna happen. 

That'll be great mate till the police insist on seeing the original for some reason. No passport - no problem. They'll put you in a cell until someone brings it for you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

That'll be great mate till the police insist on seeing the original for some reason. No passport - no problem. They'll put you in a cell until someone brings it for you.

I seriously doubt that. In all the years I have been here, on the few occasions the toy police have asked for my ID, my Thai drivers license, or my color copy of my passport has ALWAYS been satisfactory to them. I do not buy into hysteria. One guys posts, and says carrying the passport around is necessary. BS. Is this nazi Germany? Sorry sir, I refuse to carry my papers!

• Like 2