Brit, 31, found dead in Bangkok hotel room

webfact

13 hours ago, happy chappie said:

what is even more sad is how the father has been left to beg for money to bring him back to Scotland and bury him because he was happy go lucky and never had £30-40 travel insurance.over £9000 has already been raised  and what's wrong with a cremation in Thailand and ashes posted back.myself I'm getting a bit fed up with these stories of no insurance.

This does not apply regarding this topic BUT over 65s are refused insurance here,   Liability.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

He may want to see his Son, one last time .

And for his Son to be buried, rather than cremated

Those who have the money can afford to be fussy. Those who dont generally have to adjust their desires accordingly.

He could, for example, fly here himself and have a burial done here at much lower cost.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

Travel insurance should be made compulsory, included in the cost of the flight tickets. That said, RIP another young life taken.

"Travel insurance should be made compulsory, included in the cost of the flight tickets"

Are you real? A simplistic approach to what is a not a simplistic problem. Sure, the young and healthy can better access travel insurance and should do so BUT the the elderly (and those who have particular health problems) cannot.

Unfortunately travel insurance from airlines is generally very specific to airline travel and those provided 'free' by credit card companies have their limitations.

As another poster has said, pay for cremation and have the ashes flown home. 

When asked by friends who travel, I have suggested, CHECK carefully (and UNDERSTAND) what you are covered for, but just as important understand what you're NOT covered for.

All this pre-supposes your not filthy rich enough to not worry about insurance (or you know Scotty - 'Beam me up Mr Scot'). :thumbsup:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, happy chappie said:

what is even more sad is how the father has been left to beg for money to bring him back to Scotland and bury him because he was happy go lucky and never had £30-40 travel insurance.over £9000 has already been raised  and what's wrong with a cremation in Thailand and ashes posted back.myself I'm getting a bit fed up with these stories of no insurance.

When you were young did you take out travel insurance if you went overseas? Honest answer please.

14 hours ago, happy chappie said:

But then you have wonderful hind sight, plenty of money no empathy for those who are running their lives on a shoestring, and without the latter maybe you lack some basic humanity for others and  you just plain smug and arrogant maybe you have been in Thailand too long and caught the me me me syndrome which in English  translates to f....k you Jack I'm alright

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Only a 10 day holiday. Shame no details have been provided around why he died

It is none of our business the reasons for his death. And telling the dead to RIP is rather pointless.

My father lost a son aged 22 ( I was 19 at the time ) and I saw first hand the devastating effect it had on him ( and me ).

The father should not be punished anymore for his sons error in not taking out travel insurance, his wishes should be honoured and the money raised should be used to return the body and laid to rest next to his sister.

( of course this is only my heartfelt opinion )

RIP Joe and condolences to John , family and friends .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aupee said:

But then you have wonderful hind sight, plenty of money no empathy for those who are running their lives on a shoestring, and without the latter maybe you lack some basic humanity for others and  you just plain smug and arrogant maybe you have been in Thailand too long and caught the me me me syndrome which in English  translates to f....k you Jack I'm alright

Im with you chappie.It is those who live their lives without any thought for the consequences to those left behind should they meet their death. If a person cant afford travel ins., they cant afford to travel.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That’s ok. You don’t have to contribute.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Well don't read them!!! Even when you have insurance they will always try ways of getting out of paying no matter what the situation!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, keithpa said:

Im with you chappie.It is those who live their lives without any thought for the consequences to those left behind should they meet their death. If a person cant afford travel ins., they cant afford to travel.

Not a good analogy - you're driving and get killed by another careless driver - then you should not be driving? Stretching a point I know, but there always risks associated with living.

Certainly try and minimise risks, whever you can, but you can never eliminate risk.

"Don't be afraid of death, be afraid of an unlived life.

You don't have to live forever, you just have to live!!"

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Those who have the money can afford to be fussy. Those who dont generally have to adjust their desires accordingly.

He could, for example, fly here himself and have a burial done here at much lower cost.

He does not need to as his funding is going to cover the return.

5 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

Travel insurance should be made compulsory, included in the cost of the flight tickets. That said, RIP another young life taken.

100% agreed ... A compulsory amount should be added to flights ... You pay more for a packet of Marlboro Lights 

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

When you were young did you take out travel insurance if you went overseas? Honest answer please.

2 times ive missed out on insurance and paid the price.once scooter crash that they wouldn't pay for 250,000b so I stuck the lot on my credit cards and worked and paid it off.2nd time a lung infection 250,000b and my yearly insurance had just run out so my fault again.this time I borrowed the money and sold my flat in the uk and paid it back.a holiday here would cost around the £2,000 mark so what's wrong with spending £30 to have a trip covered.

2 hours ago, Aupee said:

If I was running my life on a shoestring the last place you would find me is partying in bkk.if it makes you feel better then donate some cash.

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

He may want to see his Son, one last time .

And for his Son to be buried, rather than cremated 

Yes I understand that but beggars can't be choosers.i had a mate from my city die in Pattaya from DVT,no insurance,no mum or dad.he had a paupers cremation and a couple of mates buried his ashes out at sea.none of these begging sites were around then.the last go fund me on tv was the woman who's kids fell from the balcony and her dad got a new motor bike and she was doing yabba and run off with 2 million baht of the donation.

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Good question. It would be much cheaper than flying a body all the way to Scotland, and much more sensible, though the £9000 raised would easily cover that also.

Never find the cause of his passing in the Ashes.....

2 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Not a good analogy - you're driving and get killed by another careless driver - then you should not be driving? Stretching a point I know, but there always risks associated with living.

Certainly try and minimise risks, whever you can, but you can never eliminate risk.

"Don't be afraid of death, be afraid of an unlived life.

You don't have to live forever, you just have to live!!"

We are not talking about how this man died.we are talking about a person who's come to Thailand with no travel insurance.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1