Why a Full English trumps a Pad Thai any day of the week among Pattaya Expats

webfact

4 minutes ago, johng said:

Bean beans are good for the heart,the more you eat the more you ????

if a dr told me if i dont eat beans today i will die,

i will respond, throw them in dan's face so i see it,

make him choke on them beans, its a good day to die

Edited by poanoi

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I would prefer to have a stack of buttermilk pancakes with butter, sausage patties, hash browns, an egg easy over,  a glass of fresh squeezed OJ, and bottomless cup of good black coffee.

But you go ahead and have your eggs, beans, sausage, and toast.

How people can eat pancakes with sausages and eggs at one sitting i will never know.

• Haha 1

Have to say that although I love (most) Thai food, an English breakfast is the one thing I can't do without - sorry but soggy pork and rice just doesn't do it for me.  No sausage or black pudding though.  I buy a big pack of bacon when I visit Bangkok or Pattaya, take it home with me and stick it in the freezer as the 'bacon' I can buy in my area ain't what I would call bacon ?.

I actually prefer one of the many varieties of Khao Pat for breakfast when in Thailand. 

Khao pat gai, kai dow and if I'm in an establishment that serves Thai and English food, and the server is helpful, I occasionally order 2 British sausages as a side order. 

Lovely combination IMO.

Edited by VBF

2 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Just for reference Denny's (USA) Grand Slam Breakfast

Image result for denny's grand slam breakfast

Love those Hash Browns!

American bacon is very different to British bacon, but I like it almost as much - definitely "finger food".

But the sausages - or "links" as i believe you colonials :sorry:call them - YUK! 

They're more like what we call "chipolatas" or "girly sausages"

That's OK -- I don't eat the English breakfast or the American breakfast, and I have only been in Pattaya once fin the last 15 years. A I said, it is just for reference. As for the sausages, it all depends on the girl who is eating them.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mojomor said:

The blood was removed from black pudding more than 40 years ago. It was replaced by a dye.

No. And blood has not been removed from Steaks.

Ingredients for Black Pudding
  1. 4 cups fresh pig's blood.
  2. 2 1/2 teaspoons salt.
  3. 1 1/2 cups steel-cut (pinhead) oatmeal.
  4. 2 cups finely diced pork fat (or beef suet), finely chopped.
  5. 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped.
  6. 1 cup milk.
  7. 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper.
  8. 1 teaspoon ground allspice.

Boudin Noir in Spain and France.

Bury in England is famous for black pudding.

There is a famous Thai soup made from congealed blood. 

Edited by The manic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Mooner said:

How people can eat pancakes with sausages and eggs at one sitting i will never know.

I doubt very many people eat that daily, or even very often. But aside from that, I don't get why you'd find that so weird. Now a full English breakfast, that's weird. ☢️

Just now, Jingthing said:

I doubt very many people eat that daily, or even very often. But aside from that, I don't get why you'd find that so weird. Now a full English breakfast, that's weird. ☢️

Not weird Jingthing, but certainly, on a daily basis very unhealthy.

On the very very rare occasions that i stay in hotels in UK, I'll enjoy a "full English" with loads of coffee but I can almost feel my arteries screaming! It absolutely MUST be followed by some exercise , if only a walk! My preference when in Thailand is in #39.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StefanJ said:

Yes...me and my Swedish friends in Pattaya always eat english breakfast almost every morning.

As someone said.. after a full english breakfast.. u be ok until dinner ?

Almost every morning??? That was the most boring I´ve ever heard.

10 hours ago, johng said:

1999735833_P_20180122_192742_1_p(Large).jpg.1f5389b5cb3fbfeaafa4262698d4d0a4.jpgmy wife's good attempt she burnt the bangers a bit though !

Chips ? With an English Brekkie...Hell No!! That's a travesty......I suppose if a butty was available on the side then I'd let it slide  ?

9 hours ago, mugaly said:

Nonsense.  I got a sore stomach just looking at that greasy mess of a meal in OP.  Guaranteed that 99% of people who eat this are obese or overweight.  Pad Thai is wayyyyyyyyyyyy better and healthier to boot.

Other than it's cooked in a load of reused oil. Plenty of calories in the noodles too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Exactly. It's hilarious to me that so many people don't get that dishes like Pad Thai are arguably less healthy than a Big Mac.

I used to assume (!) that Thai food was so, so healthy,  but in fact a lot of it contains loads of fat and sugar and MSG. Add to that, Nam Pla is very salty...my illusions shattered some time ago!

Personally the smell of a MacD's makes me gag - i mean in there I know I would be eating rubbish - at least with Thai food I can fool myself it's healthy! ?

I wonder though if a Mac (with or without fries) wouldn't be less healthy than Pad Thai with all its vegetables despite that.

And, let's be honest...the "meat" that MacD's use is pretty disgusting.

Has anyone got any actual figures as to the fat, salt and sugar content of the typical English or American breakfast vs Pad Thai vs a Big Mac?

And, there is another thing to consider: the Thai people who are getting tubby are those who tend to have adopted Western eating habits, whereas those who eat traditional Thai food are still slim. Pad Thai is very much a favourite dish amongst the Thais i know.  There must be something in that.....

Edited by VBF

15 minutes ago, VBF said:

I used to assume (!) that Thai food was so, so healthy,  but in fact a lot of it contains loads of fat and sugar and MSG. Add to that, Nam Pla is very salty...my illusions shattered some time ago!

Personally the smell of a MacD's makes me gag - i mean in there I know I would be eating rubbish - at least with Thai food I can fool myself it's healthy! ?

I wonder though if a Mac (with or without fries) wouldn't be less healthy than Pad Thai with all its vegetables despite that.

And, let's be honest...the "meat" that MacD's use is pretty disgusting.

Has anyone got any actual figures as to the fat, salt and sugar content of the typical English or American breakfast vs Pad Thai vs a Big Mac?

And, there is another thing to consider: the Thai people who are getting tubby are those who tend to have adopted Western eating habits, whereas those who eat traditional Thai food are still slim. Pad Thai is very much a favourite dish amongst the Thais i know.  There must be something in that.....

IMO thai food are often little more than grass,

som tam, grass with chili and some crab shells,

you burn more energy eating it than you gain eating it,

not to mention its destined to cause diarrhea.

i like calorie heavy food, but the only so called english breakfast

that was up to snuff with amount of bacon & potato was by a norwegian guy,

otherwise they usually come with 2 miniaturized strings of bacon

that isnt even enough for me to get a taste of it,

let alone feeling content

12 minutes ago, poanoi said:

IMO thai food are often little more than grass,

som tam, grass with chili and some crab shells,

you burn more energy eating it than you gain eating it,

not to mention its destined to cause diarrhea.

i like calorie heavy food, but the only so called english breakfast

that was up to snuff with amount of bacon & potato was by a norwegian guy,

otherwise they usually come with 2 miniaturized strings of bacon

that isnt even enough for me to get a taste of it,

let alone feeling content

I'd disagree with your comment about "little more than grass"!  Although you did say often, not always.

What about the various curries, (Panang Gai is my all time favourite food) Pad Kaprow, the noodle salads, soups and what they do with fish etc etc?

To be honest, apart from Som Tam which I don't like, I've never had Thai food that was too hot for me - and I usually order it "pet" much to the amazement of Thai friends! But then I've been enjoying Indian, Bangla and Pakistani food for many years.

I eat roughly 80% Thai food when i'm there and bring loads of Thai ingredients back to UK when I return - I guess @poanoi we have VERY different tastes ?

12 hours ago, johng said:
12 hours ago, johng said:

Bean beans are good for the heart,the more you eat the more you ????

Beans, beans, the musical fruit.

The more you eat, the more you toot.

The more you toot, the better you feel.

So eat your beans at every meal.

---------------------------------

I rarely eat breakfast (or lunch), but when I do it's fried eggs, or scrambled with cheese.  Hash brown or chunked fried potatoes, preferably with onions. Toast or English muffin. Some slightly fried tomato somewhere is nice, green or red.  I don't eat meat but  bacon is tempting, I'll admit.

In Thailand, I'd get the little fried "butterfly" bread and sort-of poached or soft-boiled eggs at the early morning market.  Sometimes a little baked squash/pumpkin with the coconut (?) custard filling if I wanted sweet.

I bet American type pancakes would be good with a syrup made with brown palm sugar and tamarind. 

Edited by Damrongsak

2 hours ago, VBF said:

I used to assume (!) that Thai food was so, so healthy,  but in fact a lot of it contains loads of fat and sugar and MSG.

I don't know any Thais who have adopted western eating habits. I know Thais who like some western foods. Thais do make some very healthy dishes, but they also put sugar in almost everything, and use copious amounts of low quality oil. Add to this huge amounts of white, often sticky, rice nearly with every single meal. And then 7/11's on every corner doing massive business doling out nothing healthy, and the people are lined up to get it.

Only their genetics are keeping them being as fat as westerners.

2 hours ago, VBF said:

I'd disagree with your comment about "little more than grass"!  Although you did say often, not always.

What about the various curries, (Panang Gai is my all time favourite food) Pad Kaprow, the noodle salads, soups and what they do with fish etc etc?

To be honest, apart from Som Tam which I don't like, I've never had Thai food that was too hot for me - and I usually order it "pet" much to the amazement of Thai friends! But then I've been enjoying Indian, Bangla and Pakistani food for many years.

I eat roughly 80% Thai food when i'm there and bring loads of Thai ingredients back to UK when I return - I guess @poanoi we have VERY different tastes ?

no, i really like chili, and many other spices too,

its the protein deficit i'm having major issues with,

like peneng gai, fantastic flavor, and then they just have to mess it up

by serving it with a joint of a chicken that only consist of bones and skin,

like the yanks say: wheres the meat ?!?!

16 hours ago, Radar501 said:

Beer is the only reason some Pattaya expats get out of bed each afternoon.   A big greasy English fry-up is the best option to sooth away that thumping hangover.

Beans, grease and beer.  You don't want to be down wind from anyone who fuels himself with that lethal cocktail.

59 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Only their genetics are keeping them being as fat as westerners.

Right. Keep telling yourself that.  And therefore epidemic western obesity  can be blamed on genes too.  Sounds similar to the mantra of  fat teenage girls ... I have a glandular problem. 

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Exactly. It's hilarious to me that so many people don't get that dishes like Pad Thai are arguably less healthy than a Big Mac.

Luckily you included the word "arguably", as your post is incorrect

Here is  some basic info with links.

Pad thai  480

Big Mac 890

English brekkie 1126

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/384444601

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/162868534

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/188843390

I find English breakfast to be very heavy and greasy. I feel tired after I eat it. Need a nap.

also, is this guy going to share every thought his brain processes? I’m tired of him already. 

• Like 1