G7 allies confront Trump with trade numbers in tense G7 summit

rooster59

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

You mean the same "globalists" that are protecting Trump and keeping him in office? There are a hundred reasons why the media is staying on Russia's case. At least a hundred. To begin with, it is a virtual dictatorship, with little rule of law. Secondarily, the media freedom is currently at the level that Trump wishes was the case in the US, where the supreme leader decides what gets published, who goes to jail for a critical article, and who lives and dies. Shall I go on? 

Ah, so they are "protecting us, thanks ?

6 hours ago, Estrada said:

FACT: There is NO Trade Deficit against the United States, the US does not take into account all those huge US companies who manufacture overseas and only send their profits back to the the US, if forced to do so. For instance, if US companies manufactured all their products such as Apple, Nike etc, in the US, then perhaps a Trillions more Dollars would be added to the US Export figures. However, companies manufacturing overseas only return profits but add to the US Import bill 100% of the wholesale or intercompany price.

In the United States, the Bureau of Economic Analysis measures and defines the trade deficit. It defines U.S. imports as goods and services produced in a foreign country and bought by U.S. residents. It includes all goods shipped to the United States, even if produced by an American-owned company. If a product crosses U.S. Customs and is intended to be sold in America, it is an import. This is unfair as illustrated by the Trump's manufacturing Trump products in China using low cost labour and materials and then shipping them back to the US. for Instance Trump's "Make America Great Again" red caps and ties, Ivanka's products. Apple were able to takeover the world mobile phone market from Nokia by Manufacturing in China. This is what Trump calls "Fair Trade"

i'm not sure i fully buy into all of this.  do you have any links to support your claims.  i'm not trying to start a 'thai visa war' (versus a 'trade war' !!!) but i do know the USA most definitely has a trade deficit on a global basis.  you might like the link and the commentary  - it counters trumps claim on canada and a few others (i'm on record here of not liking what is happening to canada on this).

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/15/news/economy/trump-canada-trade-deficit/index.html

from the above:

Globally, the United States has a trade deficit and that makes sense because the US economy is driven by consumer spending. Americans spending at stores and online make up about two-thirds of US economic activity.

Many economists say the trade deficit is not the right way to measure the fairness of trade deals, the trade balance or the health of the US economy. As the economy grew last year and unemployment fell, the trade deficit got bigger. During the financial crisis a decade ago, the trade deficit shrunk.

The United States can stomach such large trade deficits because foreign companies and governments take the money they get from US buyers and often reinvest that cash in US Treasury bonds. Although the US has a trade deficit, it still remains the top place for foreign investors to park their money. Those investments help to offset the trade deficit.

here is another one i was reading the other day.  i specifically looked for something that was written before trump took office so it wasn't biased one way or the other.  the best i could find was 2012.  as noted by the poster i quoted in my post above, the way all the numbers are added up can be deceiving.  in this link, a different way of calculation reduces the deficit with canada and mexico but increases it with japan.

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/value-added-trade-and-its-implications-for-international-trade-policy/

5 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Why is the EU there? ....Fair enough being there but the G7 photo shoot aswell?   And two representatives.

juncker and tusk - career politicans/bureaucrats are the lowest of the low.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, buick said:

juncker and tusk - career politicans/bureaucrats are the lowest of the low.

Exactly so why are they there? Obviously the three people who gave me confused emoji responses know.... 

Edited by goldenbrwn1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

He is very intelligent.
Could you give an example for this assumption?

I am not a Trump fan, but to say he is not smart is foolish. He has made fortunes, captured the presidency of the US, duped so many, and has avoided jail.

9 hours ago, Estrada said:

FACT: There is NO Trade Deficit against the United States, the US does not take into account all those huge US companies who manufacture overseas and only send their profits back to the the US, if forced to do so. For instance, if US companies manufactured all their products such as Apple, Nike etc, in the US, then perhaps a Trillions more Dollars would be added to the US Export figures. However, companies manufacturing overseas only return profits but add to the US Import bill 100% of the wholesale or intercompany price.

In the United States, the Bureau of Economic Analysis measures and defines the trade deficit. It defines U.S. imports as goods and services produced in a foreign country and bought by U.S. residents. It includes all goods shipped to the United States, even if produced by an American-owned company. If a product crosses U.S. Customs and is intended to be sold in America, it is an import. This is unfair as illustrated by the Trump's manufacturing Trump products in China using low cost labour and materials and then shipping them back to the US. for Instance Trump's "Make America Great Again" red caps and ties, Ivanka's products. Apple were able to takeover the world mobile phone market from Nokia by Manufacturing in China. This is what Trump calls "Fair Trade"

In addition, digital commerce is not valued or taken into account accordingly.
Here has the EU a huge trade deficit with the US.

According to BEA

(Bureau of Economic Analysis )

2014, US branch office sales in the EU alone amounted to approximately $ 157.7 billion in information services. In the same year, EU branches in the US sold only $ 55.3 billion in information services, creating a theoretical EU deficit of $ 102.4 billion. According to Eurostat, the EU even had a deficit of US $ 152.8 billion towards the US in information and communication services provided through foreign branches.

The whole is a quite complicated matter with many detection and demarcation problems.
Whether Trump can understand the digital trade problem at all? I have my doubts.

Edited by tomacht8

12 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

With Trump the policy is really, Trump first, his family and friends second and third then America and the rest.

In order for Trump, family and friends to come first sometimes leaves the US in a very distant last place sometimes.   

19 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

With Trump the policy is really, Trump first, his family and friends second and third then

America and the rest.

True,
but actually, Trump does not have any friends, or more precisely only temporary friends.
If the friends are devoted, serve him well, then he likes to use them.
If his "friends" are no longer of use or criticize him, they automatically become his enemies.
This may be good for a while in his private, construction business world, but saddling as POTUS with this mentality on independent states, where friendships exists over 50-60 years of history, is deadly. <

On international stage, nobody takes Trump seriously anymore.
The only thing that remains is the military power and the economic power as potential threat, which he did not create himself, but uses only for himself.

Edited by tomacht8

10 hours ago, selftaopath said:

He is a very very very sick man.

With all the effort he puts into filtering his medical reports, first from his wacky doctor (a gastroenterologist, who had his office raided by DT's goons), and then from the US Surgeon General, who he bribed with a cabinet position, he is definitely a man with something to hide.  His continued curiosity about HPV (and failure to understand it) probably betrays he knows he is a cancer risk, at the least.

With all this talk and drama about bogus investigations, the ability to pardon himself, firing prosecutors and attacking his own country's law enforcement agencies, he is definitely a man with something to hide.  This is not the way innocent men behave, chief.

The egotism and self-centeredness isn't all that rare in the circles of corporate execs and business moguls, but this one is amplified by his love of being in front of a camera.  But when he is in the company of the real self-made billionaires you know he's covering up an inferiority.

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

With Trump the policy is really, Trump first, his family and friends second and third then America and the rest.

YES, Trump only expertise is his self-interest.

The problem is Trump gets ideas into his head pretty easily... then he talks about them without being properly informed. And then once he's pounded these ideas after a while he holds to them even when they are obviously not correct. He tells the same lies repeatedly even after he's been fact checked on them. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

What do the Russians have on him he is always defending them

Perhaps you are on the wrong path with that assumption. Have you considered that Trump is a kindred spirit of Putin and admires/respects Putin's ability to rule with an iron fist and to trample on those who disagree? The more I see of Trump, the more I believe is that he dislikes one on one confrontations. He's a bully and prefers to play to an audience. 

It is a bit of a reversal though, that liberal Canada has stuck so hard to the conventional Republican position on Russia and is following a policy that is tougher than during the Reagan era. One would have expected the EU to suggest bring Russia back and the USA resisting.

14 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Why is the EU there? ....Fair enough being there but the G7 photo shoot aswell?   And two representatives.

Because the EU is a powerhouse economy and is a major trading  partner and was a political ally of the USA.

13 hours ago, Sakeopete said:

You are making an assumption that he doesn't understand. He is very intelligent don't be fooled by liberal media. America makes up 25% of the world's trade Trump knows he is in a position of power in the negotiations. He can publicly say anything he wants as long as it supports his voters view. Many politicians do that look at all the stupid things Thai politicians say that we laugh at. They don't say those things for international consumption they are meant for a domestic audience.

Must you make a vapid reference to the "liberal media". Because you disagree, doesn't make it "liberal".  Here's something for you to ponder,; The USA won't have any trade if its largest markets close their doors to US products. The trade deficit with Canada is driven primarily by raw materials that Canada sends to the USA and which the USA transforms into higher value products. Canada will be encouraged to expand trade with China. Brilliant. The EU and Canada just signed a free trade deal. As each market transfers certain services and products to the other, those are products and services the USA loses.

The USA is vulnerable and it seems that  many of the media pundits have missed a critical characteristic of the growing animosity to the USA: The impact on tourism.  Most Americans are oblivious to the contribution that tourism brings to the economy; the 8 million+ jobs, the 10%+ contribution to the GDP and the massive inflow of  foreign capital. Appreciably,  a large chunk of this is driven by domestic tourism. However, some states are especially vulnerable to any change in visitors. Florida would be  plunged into economic chaos  if it lost its EU, and Canadian visitors as they generate jobs and large amounts of tax revenue. All it takes is a  drop of 5-10% in  visitors and the US will feel the pain. Consumer boycotts have been done before and with some whipped up anti American sentiment, even the selfish Canadians will go elsewhere, especially to Cuba where they will be welcome and won't be at risk of violent crime as they are in the USA. If the amount of anti american sentiment I see and hear from work colleagues over the past year is an indicator, the USA  is negatively perceived and the negative sentiment is growing.

Someone needs to tell Mnuchin and Ross that they can't have trade if people don't want to do business with them.   At least the Secretary of Defense and Chief of staff realize that they can't have wars and  extend their influence through the military if they do not have allies who offer  strategic airbases, ports and intelligence assets. I expect that the next time the USA wants to invade someone as it did in Iraq or Afghanistan, that other countries will not be offering up their personnel to be killed or maimed. And the next time the USA wants to park civilian airliners in Canada, they will find that the airports are closed. I think that the rest of the world has had enough of the Trump approach to changing things.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Estrada said:

I have no use for most of the trade deficit argument but this is bizarre. You think it really matters to most Americans to the American economy if the owner of of a foreign exporter to the United States is nominally American or not? Why is that even relevant? The implication of your explanation endorses, whether you realize it or not, just another version of trickle down economics. As long as money flows back to wealthy Americans, which stock owners overwhelmingly are, it's all good. If a product is made overseas, then it really is an import regardless of who is the nominal owner or customer of the manufacturer or service provider.

19 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Exactly so why are they there? Obviously the three people who gave me confused emoji responses know.... 

i question who juncker and tusk can influence in the group of leaders in attendance.  anything they say will just go in one ear and out the other. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/france-apos-emmanuel-macron-throws-041556367.html

Okay, from the headline, "France's Emmanuel Macron throws down Trump Twitter gauntlet: G7 can become G6".

And also, Macron said "The six countries of the G7 without the United States are a bigger market taken together than the American market. We don’t mind being six, if needs be.”

Emmanuel Macron, I'm not French. But today, I have no problems flying the French flag. America reckons that it's so important. America needs to be reminded "you're not as big a deal as you think you are, get real".  "You're not actually a bunch of jumped up nobodies, but you're heading that way".

15 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/france-apos-emmanuel-macron-throws-041556367.html

Okay, from the headline, "France's Emmanuel Macron throws down Trump Twitter gauntlet: G7 can become G6".

And also, Macron said "The six countries of the G7 without the United States are a bigger market taken together than the American market. We don’t mind being six, if needs be.”

Emmanuel Macron, I'm not French. But today, I have no problems flying the French flag. America reckons that it's so important. America needs to be reminded "you're not as big a deal as you think you are, get real".  "You're not actually a bunch of jumped up nobodies, but you're heading that way".

Only, despite your spins, this isn't so much about "America", but more to do with Trump. Guess you'll shortly come up with some unnamed advisors "influencing" him to adopt policies he doesn't really support.

11 minutes ago, Morch said:

Only, despite your spins, this isn't so much about "America", but more to do with Trump. Guess you'll shortly come up with some unnamed advisors "influencing" him to adopt policies he doesn't really support.

Oh Morch, I put up my post above, and I then went to the  "In bombshell, Trump says US backs out of G7 communique, criticizes Trudeau" post, and put up the photo of John R Bolton.
I then noticed your post above. Well, yes, John R Bolton is in the White House, he turned up for the big meeting. Whatever views Donald Trump has got, well, Bolton is influencing Trump. At the very least, Bolton is egging Trump on. At the very least, behind closed doors, I reckon Bolton is saying to Donald Trump "go on, do it, you've wanted to do this for ages, do it, go and put some tariffs on them G7 people, and laugh at them".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Oh Morch, I put up my post above, and I then went to the  "In bombshell, Trump says US backs out of G7 communique, criticizes Trudeau" post, and put up the photo of John R Bolton.
I then noticed your post above. Well, yes, John R Bolton is in the White House, he turned up for the big meeting. Whatever views Donald Trump has got, well, Bolton is influencing Trump. At the very least, Bolton is egging Trump on. At the very least, behind closed doors, I reckon Bolton is saying to Donald Trump "go on, do it, you've wanted to do this for ages, do it, go and put some tariffs on them G7 people, and laugh at them".

Only problem with your nonsense is that Trump held such views long before Bolton joined the administration. Long before he won the elections. As for you pretending to know what goes on behind closed doors, or which level of influence Bolton exerts on Trump - allow me to doubt you've got an insight on either.

Trump being "spared" from some of the criticism, and "America" (or "Washington", or some "advisors influencing him") taking heat is just one of them ways in which you push a rather obvious agenda.

Try harder.