Living in a quiet Issan village.

colinneil

I live in the country, have good mobility and CCTV, but would not put myself or my family risk if I heard something going on outside, the worst things we have had is gun shots and a gang stealing 6 bikes from the village.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

One thing I would do if I was out in the sticks is buy a gun.

I have training so not an issue handling one.

I have a friend who works for RTP in BKK who said he could get me one if I needed it.

SIg 45 which is a good gun.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

One thing I would do if I was out in the sticks is buy a gun.

I have training so not an issue handling one.

I have a friend who works for RTP in BKK who said he could get me one if I needed it.

SIg 45 which is a good gun.

Try living in the sticks first?

Getting a gun is not a problem, we have a S&W .38 but I've only ever used it on a dog.

I'd have preferred a shotgun but wifey wanted a handgun. I very much doubt we'd have to use it in anger, waste of money if you ask me.

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2018 at 6:16 PM, smotherb said:

I've lived in the same house for eleven years, come September. I live on a small soi in an upscale neighborhood of a large city. Other than having to cure some of the neighbors from parking in front of my driveway, I have never had any problems with anyone. We have no people hanging about on the soi, no animals running loose or making noises, no loud or drunken parties, no rubbish lying about and no crime.

..and the sun shines everyday, its never hot or windy and whats more there are no soi dog within 5 km radius, all the girls are beautiful and friendly so difficulty to chose?

• Haha 1

It has been interesting reading the different points on this thread.

Posters suggesting dogs for security, others saying dogs get poisoned.

This morning wifes sister came over, last night 1 dog 2 pigs poisoned.

That is the reality of living in an Issan village.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, colinneil said:

But I assume a rare occasion Colin, not a frequent happening. Still, country life has its benefits. Yes?

And yes, this has been an interesting thread.

• Like 2

It’s much worse in Bangkok, here they FEED the dogs and EAT the pigs!!!
  • Haha 1

I don't think life is that crazy that people need a gun. Especially if you have kids living or visiting (as nearly everyone at least has kids who visit). How many people have actually ever used their gun against people in a situation that actually called for it? When I first moved here my dad suggested the idea of having one as he had heard stories from a Thai friend back home. The Mrs has been trained to use a gun as part of her work, but didn't feel the need to have one even when working in the red zone of Yala (insurgency). Every now and then she flirts with the idea as everyone around us has one, but always comes back to it is silly. After listing the pros/cons, we decided on the guardian dogs. 

Surely if a gun is safely locked away that kids cannot get to it, then by the time someone nervously plays with a safe whilst their listening to the home invasion that is going on, the family and person would have already been dealt with. Not to mention how highly trained with weaponry someone needs to be. Didn't it come out when they wanted to give guns to teachers in America that police officers have only a 18% hit rate in gunfights? A police officer probably practise as much or more than your local expat in Thailand. Not to mention practising hitting a target is much different than real life. Most people on here even have a fear of confronting a nrighbour to turn down his speakers. Would prefer not to have guns in those people's hands.  

Just ask around. We have 3 people we can trust (family) who carry guns who live about a 45 second walk away. By the time the dogs warn us (as they would need to shoot the dogs to get through), plus jump the fence, and for me to open a safe and then expect to act like a SAS member or movie star...not worth it with 2 little kids running around the house, may as well call the infantry who have at least a little bit of an idea what they are doing (police/army trained so probably less than 18% of an idea lol). Not to mention the Mrs may get angry one day or if I get a bit lonely haha. 

Edited by wildewillie89

10 hours ago, Wang Lalker said:

..and the sun shines everyday, its never hot or windy and whats more there are no soi dog within 5 km radius, all the girls are beautiful and friendly so difficulty to chose?

No, the sun does not shine every day and it does get hot and windy. However, you are right, there are no soi dogs and there are too many beautiful girls.

• Like 1

My security in a rural Isaan village is my decrepit looking (but great performing) 20 year-old 100 cc Honda Wave parked outside. I figure any would-be criminal would take a look at that and figure this guy probably just ain't worth the effort to rob.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2018 at 2:06 PM, Rc2702 said:

Living in bkk and living in other thai cities is completely different IMO. 

Have lived in Bkk, Kalasin and Khon kaen.

I would live in bkk again but only if I had a job there or something.

Kalasin - you could not pay me to live there.

Khon kaen - I like it a lot, I think it is one of the least corrupt cities too. Road users are also a bit more on the ball with a lot less crazy Ness on the roads. The u turns can be scary and there he lighting on some main roads is bad sometimes but a lot of good here I think. We live in a moo bahn and people seem pretty happy with life here.

Off topic but what is wrong with Kalasin (I've heard they have a big drug problem)? I will be building a home about 80kms from the city in a few years. But won't live there full time. Split time between there, Bangkok and Hua Hin.  

49 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

My security in a rural Isaan village is my decrepit looking (but great performing) 20 year-old 100 cc Honda Wave parked outside. I figure any would-be criminal would take a look at that and figure this guy probably just ain't worth the effort to rob.

That is a new Harley to some people.

?

• Haha 1

I don't think life is that crazy that people need a gun. Especially if you have kids living or visiting (as nearly everyone at least has kids who visit). How many people have actually ever used their gun against people in a situation that actually called for it? When I first moved here my dad suggested the idea of having one as he had heard stories from a Thai friend back home. The Mrs has been trained to use a gun as part of her work, but didn't feel the need to have one even when working in the red zone of Yala (insurgency). Every now and then she flirts with the idea as everyone around us has one, but always comes back to it is silly. After listing the pros/cons, we decided on the guardian dogs. 

Surely if a gun is safely locked away that kids cannot get to it, then by the time someone nervously plays with a safe whilst their listening to the home invasion that is going on, the family and person would have already been dealt with. Not to mention how highly trained with weaponry someone needs to be. Didn't it come out when they wanted to give guns to teachers in America that police officers have only a 18% hit rate in gunfights? A police officer probably practise as much or more than your local expat in Thailand. Not to mention practising hitting a target is much different than real life. Most people on here even have a fear of confronting a nrighbour to turn down his speakers. Would prefer not to have guns in those people's hands.  

Just ask around. We have 3 people we can trust (family) who carry guns who live about a 45 second walk away. By the time the dogs warn us (as they would need to shoot the dogs to get through), plus jump the fence, and for me to open a safe and then expect to act like a SAS member or movie star...not worth it with 2 little kids running around the house, may as well call the infantry who have at least a little bit of an idea what they are doing (police/army trained so probably less than 18% of an idea lol). Not to mention the Mrs may get angry one day or if I get a bit lonely haha. 

I do not have a hand gun in Thailand and never felt like I needed one. I lived is Prachinburi for 17 years and live in Bangkok now.

That said, it’s like a seatbelt, I’ve never had the chance to use one, but I would not go without it.

As far as the hit-miss ratio, it’s real easy to hit a person at 5 meters and pretty easy to hit one at 10. I’ve been to the range with a lot of guys that have never fired before, and I do not remember anyone missing entirely.

If I lived in a high crime area, I would get a 9mm and teach my wife and kid to use it.
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I do not have a hand gun in Thailand and never felt like I needed one. I lived is Prachinburi for 17 years and live in Bangkok now.

That said, it’s like a seatbelt, I’ve never had the chance to use one, but I would not go without it.

As far as the hit-miss ratio, it’s real easy to hit a person at 5 meters and pretty easy to hit one at 10. I’ve been to the range with a lot of guys that have never fired before, and I do not remember anyone missing entirely.

If I lived in a high crime area, I would get a 9mm and teach my wife and kid to use it.

A NY Times article wrote that supposedly trained American police officer's stats of hitting a target between 0-6 feet is 43%. The number was not considered low by the professional trainers due to the obvious stresses that are not endured in a controlled environment like a gun range. Longer distances are obviously where we go into the teens. This is just hitting the target in general, not even trying to hit it in a specific place.

I have been to a range and didn't miss the target from a longer distance with a 9mm. However, I wouldn't say if you put me in my house right now with 5 guys running at me with guns with my kids screaming that I would be nearly as accurate as I am not an 'elite' soldier/police officer. 

If I lived in somewhere I really needed something, I would probably modify the house in a way that it took enough time for someone to enter it to at least get some sort of composure, or even better have someone who is trained to deal with the situation. 

*Edit: house would have to look like a prison for that to work. 

Edited by wildewillie89
  • Like 2

A NY Times article wrote that supposedly trained American police officer's stats of hitting a target between 0-6 feet is 43%. The number was not considered low by the professional trainers due to the obvious stresses that are not endured in a controlled environment like a gun range. Longer distances are obviously where we go into the teens. This is just hitting the target in general, not even trying to hit it in a specific place.

I have been to a range and didn't miss the target from a longer distance with a 9mm. However, I wouldn't say if you put me in my house right now with 5 guys running at me with guns with my kids screaming that I would be nearly as accurate as I am not an 'elite' soldier/police officer. 

If I lived in somewhere I really needed something, I would probably modify the house in a way that it took enough time for someone to enter it to at least get some sort of composure, or even better have someone who is trained to deal with the situation. 

*Edit: house would have to look like a prison for that to work. 

I would not consider anything in the NYT (or most any other source) without being able to review all the data and the method(s) they used to come up with their numbers.

The NYT is clearly anti-gun and they will massage the numbers any way they see fit to as long as it promotes gun control.

Trusting the Times about guns is like trusting Fox about Trump.

Nine out of ten times, five guys running at you change direction once you start shooting.

On 6/9/2018 at 5:38 PM, namatjira said:

Unfortunately, I can confirm the sad status of Thai village life, I stayed with my girlfriend for a few months out near Phayoa and was surprised that in the rural areas it was like a battle zone...everyone locked up tight at night, cars, motorcycles locked away and no way would anyone open the door after dark if someone was knocking.

i thought it would all be laid back and everyone knowing each other with little crime.....not to be.......it’s not what it appears to be.

Come to peacful Pattaya.

• Haha 1

On 6/9/2018 at 6:28 PM, colinneil said:

When i first moved t this village 7 years ago, lovely quiet village, but in the last 5 years drugs have become a major problem.

At dark we lock down everything, not safe to venture out.

In our soi 3 men are in jail for drug dealing, 1 man and his wife in jail for stealing a neighbours cows.

We have discussed moving, but as we have spent a lot of time/ money adapting the house for my disability we have decided against it.

Mrs BM and I live in a small "village" but it's spread out a bit. Although there is plenty of petty crime about, (as well as a few murders), it is generally opportunistic, where the perps look for easy pickings.

We are quite fortunate in that the approach to our house is along a fairly narrow single track road, with all five of the houses before ours belonging to my wife's siblings. There is no quick and easy getaway from our end of the road. To the front, rear and side we have open farm land. A few months ago I was persuaded to have metal bars fitted to the windows and doors, I was a bit reluctant to do so becouse of how they might look, but we got some made to fit between the windows and the insect screens and they look pretty good.

There is no night life around here for us, but I'm ok with that, I'm happy just to go out when we're on our travels.

As far as I'm aware there is just one couple of junkies in our village and everyone is aware of them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

How many have had to defend themselves with a gun? Well, it’s just like insurance; you don’t need it until your need it.  

If you had your gun safely put away; certainly you would have gone for it when you heard the dogs barking or maybe the first noise around the house. Carefully place your weapons. Depending upon the location(s) and ease of access to your gun(s); that time should be a matter of very few seconds. If they put their gun in your face and you don’t have your gun; there is little reason to own it.

Certified gun safety courses can be taken online in a few hours. However, you need to learn about your weapon and be comfortable with it. Accidents rarely happen when you know your weapon.  Research all about it, learn every part and its purpose, be able to totally disassemble/reassemble it with ease, and start regular shooting at a range.

No, target practice is not like shooting a man, but if you are comfortable with your weapon, surprise is on your side. Of course, you always have the option of not using your gun and letting the intruders have their way.

Accidents rarely happen? I thought they were frequent in America both with police self inflicted injuries, police accidental shootings and killings, gun related suicides, and murderous rampages. If you live anywhere in the world where you need a gun or feel you need a gun then you are living in hell and need to move.

Suicides are accidental?

You must be reading the NYT.

Is it true that there were a few months where there were more murders in London than New York?

Apparently, they’re using knives, and now the enlightened ones are trying to implement stronger knife regulations.

You guys crack me up

12 hours ago, colinneil said:

That is the reality of living in YOUR village, do not tar every place with the same brush.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, NetJunkie said:

That is the reality of living in YOUR village, do not tar every place with the same brush.

I believe that to be a very common occurrence in villages. Count yourself lucky or extremely ignorant if that not be your own experience. 

I think village is a very loose term, some think they live in a village that has 711 as the local shop.

• Thanks 1

I believe that to be a very common occurrence in villages. Count yourself lucky or extremely ignorant if that not be your own experience. 

I think village is a very loose term, some think they live in a village that has 711 as the local shop.

7-11 makes it a city...

2 hours ago, The manic said:

Accidents rarely happen? I thought they were frequent in America both with police self inflicted injuries, police accidental shootings and killings, gun related suicides, and murderous rampages. If you live anywhere in the world where you need a gun or feel you need a gun then you are living in hell and need to move.

Try reading the stats; and realizing how many guns there are. Sure accidents happen, but few accidents occur with experienced gun users. I have often lived in areas where you needed a gun and I left when I wanted to.

Edited by smotherb