Living in a quiet Issan village.

colinneil

14 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Yes, I know where it is, I used to go near it when I used to do the 57 Day Round Australia Camping Safari's. We used to go from Sydney up to Rocky then across to the Isa then to Darwin and yes the Aborigines are heavy drinkers and brawlers

I had this life style since I was in my 20's when my wife and I live in a small lakeside village on the Central Coast of NSW

I think you can live anywhere if you make an effort. I think a lot of Aussies live in the city because they just can't seem to go to that next level and go enjoy the big country they live in. Oh well there loss our gain

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

I think you can live anywhere if you make an effort. I think a lot of Aussies live in the city because they just can't seem to go to that next level and go enjoy the big country they live in. Oh well there loss our gain

I do not agree.  But, I think it is good if you can to try both.

I have and I hate rural life.  Love the city or at least a place with city type amenities.

Just me, everyone is different of course.

14 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

I may be wrong but the type of villages being spoken about may not have a local 711. Where my Mrs is from there is no 711 for at least 6km and the only thing the local shop never runs out of is whisky. The drugs in her village is rife, when we visit a horrid old lady arrives and creates little fires on her patch of land to annoy the Mrs family is only reason I can think. Last time I saw her making a mound to burn so I grabbed a bin liner and cleaned it up, she was not amused.

I hate those dirty villages TBH, everything is wrong there. 

Dont look at the negative things look for the positive things Then life is a breeze. If a lady burning grass or whatever annoys you then you have options to take

1/ Go live in  a bubble

2/ Leave the village and move to Bangkok or another big city or leave Thailand

3/ Start drinking lots of whiskeys and become oblivious to the fact you are living in a village

4/ Or just smile and make the most of what you have

• Like 2

Where we live up near Maha  Sarahkam village of a couple of thousand I would say.  Everyone is asleep by 8PM.  Stuff happens but the Army came in about a year ago and its gone all silent again.  They took most of the druggies away.  The ones that remain stay hidden away from the public.  I can walk around any time day or night without problems. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyyy said:

Where we live up near Maha  Sarahkam village of a couple of thousand I would say.  Everyone is asleep by 8PM.  Stuff happens but the Army came in about a year ago and its gone all silent again.  They took most of the druggies away.  The ones that remain stay hidden away from the public.  I can walk around any time day or night without problems. 

way to go jimmyyy

Just now, Happyman58 said:

way to go jimmyyy

Always remember one thing if a guy is drunk or drugged He has trouble seeing straight and if he throws a punch just duck or weave and he probably hit the brick wall behind you Ouuuuuch:stoner:Hey man is that you?

3 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Always remember one thing if a guy is drunk or drugged He has trouble seeing straight and if he throws a punch just duck or weave and he probably hit the brick wall behind you Ouuuuuch:stoner:Hey man is that you?

How you gonna duck and weave if you are wheelchair bound?

As was the case here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

As was the case here.

Kit that wheel chair out like 007 would.

Nah, don't bother, your area is generally pretty quiet.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

As was the case here.

Well, colin, for starters you get that bloody big bullbar fitted to the front of your wheelchair and engage a low gear and run over the p***k. Just remember to wear your seatbelt.

Have a great day, mate

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, colinneil said:

As was the case here.

Well, u can always poke tongues at them and they are that high they probably think you are a cobra. Col being in a wheelchair must be hard and really I pray to God it never happens to me. But hang in there mate you are still alive and you do like the odd beer ok Well i think you do lol lol?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I do not agree.  But, I think it is good if you can to try both.

I have and I hate rural life.  Love the city or at least a place with city type amenities.

Just me, everyone is different of course.

I have tried both also and TBH living in a city horrifies me. There is little or no privgacy, pollution, traffic and parking problems, wall to wall people, higher living costs.

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet for 14 years where I know my neighbours and they know me, not only in the moo baan but in the bigger village too and even a few in KPP city. In the 8 years I lived in BKK I never knew my neighbours even after 3 years of living next door.

Up here several times I have gone into the big village, left my truck unlocked, done shopping and left in the truck to do more and gone home to find I left the door open. I couldn't and wouldn't do that in a city.

Out the front of the house I can see the hills over 1 km away and 400 metres from the back door on the other side of the fence is the Mae Wong national park. I get fresh air, very little pollution and the longest traffic jams are 2 or 3 minutes on market days.

True I have to drive to KPP 65 km away to get to BigC, Makro, Lotus or Robinsons but I go there once a month only for a bulk shop.

I asked my wife to order some loin pork at about 6pm last night and it was delivered to the house at 6am for no extra charge. Try doing that in the city.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have tried both also and TBH living in a city horrifies me. There is little or no privgacy, pollution, traffic and parking problems, wall to wall people, higher living costs.

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet for 14 years where I know my neighbours and they know me, not only in the moo baan but in the bigger village too and even a few in KPP city. In the 8 years I lived in BKK I never knew my neighbours even after 3 years of living next door.

Up here several times I have gone into the big village, left my truck unlocked, done shopping and left in the truck to do more and gone home to find I left the door open. I couldn't and wouldn't do that in a city.

Out the front of the house I can see the hills over 1 km away and 400 metres from the back door on the other side of the fence is the Mae Wong national park. I get fresh air, very little pollution and the longest traffic jams are 2 or 3 minutes on market days.

True I have to drive to KPP 65 km away to get to BigC, Makro, Lotus or Robinsons but I go there once a month only for a bulk shop.

I asked my wife to order some loin pork at about 6pm last night and it was delivered to the house at 6am for no extra charge. Try doing that in the city.

I would not want to try any of that.

Like I said, I hated it and thought I was going insane in a rural village.

65 km to a Big C?

Heck, if I cannot walk to a Starbucks's I am disappointed.

Like I said, just a city guy I like the busy hectic environment.

So, how was that pork loin?  Braised or grilled?

Living in bkk and living in other thai cities is completely different IMO. 

Have lived in Bkk, Kalasin and Khon kaen.

I would live in bkk again but only if I had a job there or something.

Kalasin - you could not pay me to live there.

Khon kaen - I like it a lot, I think it is one of the least corrupt cities too. Road users are also a bit more on the ball with a lot less crazy Ness on the roads. The u turns can be scary and there he lighting on some main roads is bad sometimes but a lot of good here I think. We live in a moo bahn and people seem pretty happy with life here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guardian dogs are very useful for village security (need good fencing or they will claim the whole village lol), as it is a few thousand years of natural instincts being passed on - so no training required, just understanding of how instincts will relate to environment. Many stronger working lines will not naturally drink or eat anything unless it comes from the hand of someone who lives on the premises. Will allegedly take a .45 calibre bullet according to the Russians and National Geographic to stop them. 

The village people will not even walk along our fence line now, but cross to the other side of the road due to the dog's daily/nightly patrols. Have been labelled 'devil dogs'. Mainly due to size, dislike of strangers, and the fact the typical methods of holding up a hand/stick/throwing objects at them has no effect. One night a group of relatives (villagers) came with sticks to our house as they were in the temple and heard our dogs a few hundred metres away over the music. They said their bark was nothing they had heard before, hence why they came with weapons as knew something wasn't right. They ended up finding a couple of drunks on our farm land about 50m away from our fence line. 

As for the earlier posts about family members assaulting children. Sexual assault by family members are very common. Even in your most developed countries children are more likely to be sexually assaulted by family or someone they know than a stranger. It is just more known here due to the amount of gossip, whereas back home obviously majorly under reported and a better kept secret.  

Drugs. In my village I see the after effect of the drugs from a while back, so a lot of slow moving people who have fried their brains. Friendly, but fried. Not too many drugs going on now from what I see (but obviously it would be happening at the times I do not tend to go out). The strict policies of old and the one in the Philippines aren't really worth the amount of innocent people who end up getting caught up in them. The odd alcohol fight, but nothing worse than back home. Most fights are are by non-drunks. A dispute, a fight, a shake of the hand. A little bit emotionally immature seeing as it cant be solved by a simple discussion. Have your little cute teenage gangs, but usually they head into the city during festival times to find gangs of other villages to fight. Don't really bring the issues back into the village. 

Villagers tends to stick together. If any outsiders come to steal rice or the like, all the villagers get on their motorcycles and chase them down. Usually it is one or two families who want more influence than they have who cause trouble. My family are banned from sending our crop to be made into brown rice now due to one of the families (who have the machine). Apart from that and the odd threat which is filmed as we only interact with them with witnesses, the public apologies and threat of fine keep them at bay. Fine threats are better than jail threat it seems. Hurts more. Family is in politics so election times are a little bit more dangerous...hence the dogs, plus police outside the house, but that isn't very often. 

Could be issues further along the lines in the village though. Not much delayed gratification being taught, kids getting what they want when they want it from parents/grandparents. Can only lead to people not learning how to deal with disappointment/rejection/ frustration, and using violence as a coping mechanism. I am 28, before the arguments come about blaming new generation bla bla. I just talk about what I see.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Has absolutely nothing to do with the topic.

But, good for you.

I was directly responding to a post which said they never stay in one place in Thailand more than three months. But, if you don't bother to read the posts to which comments are made; you'll probably always wonder.

2 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Guardian dogs are very useful for village security (need good fencing or they will claim the whole village lol), as it is a few thousand years of natural instincts being passed on - so no training required, just understanding of how instincts will relate to environment. Many stronger working lines will not naturally drink or eat anything unless it comes from the hand of someone who lives on the premises. Will allegedly take a .45 calibre bullet according to the Russians and National Geographic to stop them. 

The village people will not even walk along our fence line now, but cross to the other side of the road due to the dog's daily/nightly patrols. Have been labelled 'devil dogs'. Mainly due to size, dislike of strangers, and the fact the typical methods of holding up a hand/stick/throwing objects at them has no effect. One night a group of relatives (villagers) came with sticks to our house as they were in the temple and heard our dogs a few hundred metres away over the music. They said their bark was nothing they had heard before, hence why they came with weapons as knew something wasn't right. They ended up finding a couple of drunks on our farm land about 50m away from our fence line. 

As for the earlier posts about family members assaulting children. Sexual assault by family members are very common. Even in your most developed countries children are more likely to be sexually assaulted by family or someone they know than a stranger. It is just more known here due to the amount of gossip, whereas back home obviously majorly under reported and a better kept secret.  

Drugs. In my village I see the after effect of the drugs from a while back, so a lot of slow moving people who have fried their brains. Friendly, but fried. Not too many drugs going on now from what I see (but obviously it would be happening at the times I do not tend to go out). The strict policies of old and the one in the Philippines aren't really worth the amount of innocent people who end up getting caught up in them. The odd alcohol fight, but nothing worse than back home. Most fights are are by non-drunks. A dispute, a fight, a shake of the hand. A little bit emotionally immature seeing as it cant be solved by a simple discussion. Have your little cute teenage gangs, but usually they head into the city during festival times to find gangs of other villages to fight. Don't really bring the issues back into the village. 

Villagers tends to stick together. If any outsiders come to steal rice or the like, all the villagers get on their motorcycles and chase them down. Usually it is one or two families who want more influence than they have who cause trouble. My family are banned from sending our crop to be made into brown rice now due to one of the families (who have the machine). Apart from that and the odd threat which is filmed as we only interact with them with witnesses, the public apologies and threat of fine keep them at bay. Fine threats are better than jail threat it seems. Hurts more. Family is in politics so election times are a little bit more dangerous...hence the dogs, plus police outside the house, but that isn't very often. 

Could be issues further along the lines in the village though. Not much delayed gratification being taught, kids getting what they want when they want it from parents/grandparents. Can only lead to people not learning how to deal with disappointment/rejection/ frustration, and using violence as a coping mechanism. I am 28, before the arguments come about blaming new generation bla bla. I just talk about what I see.

Gosh.

On 6/10/2018 at 5:12 PM, ancharee said:

I live also in a small village in Issan, 7 years now have motorbike and pickup never lock anything up including the house when we go out, only time is when we go down to Patts for a week, never had anything stolen, guess it's where you live and luck of the draw

same, same, here at nong son rong, 12 ks from si that