Living in a quiet Issan village.

colinneil

22 hours ago, Wang Lalker said:

ok i admit it, i attract bad news from far and wide. nothing else has changed about the place except i am now there so therefore the place i am in just has to be the best place on the planet to be. all the bad news see this and moves in for the duration . being a hansum charismatic foreigner does have its drawbacks, perhaps you not being likewise endowed can give some tips?

Yes, don't be stupid and naive. Choose a good place to live; not some ghetto. Chose a good woman who wants you and not just your money. Select an educational path which leads to a career which provides for your desires. Of course, you do need the wherewithal to figure it out. As my old grandpappy used to say, "Son, you have to be smarter than the problem."

9 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

If I could reach for a gun in seconds then so could children. The only way a gun can be safely kept in a home with children is if it is locked in a safe. Getting a gun out of a safe takes more than a few seconds, as obviously you wouldn't put the safe in the middle of your living room (where I spend most of my time). Not to mention I could be 50 metres away from a gun in my house as I spend a lot of time outside. What use is it to me? The only possible use it could be is if it was actually on me. For the incredibly low chance of needing a gun vs the much higher chance of my kid wanting to reach for it whilst it is on me....it just isn't worth it. It is acting on paranoia/fear/thinking I am more capable than I am, rather than logic. 

I guess you have a limited imagination. There are many places to store weapons and magazines separately, yet away from children. Children are never too young to be told not to play with guns. And, yes, why don't you just carry it with you?  Of course, you can simply not have a gun and allow the intruders have their way. I don't have a gun here in Thailand, but I often wish I did.

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

God help us if the Islamic terrorists start arming their toddlers.

They already have ! Have you seen the movie American Sniper ? Not quite a toddler but not a teen yet either.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Quick update, Pu yai bahn just been on the PA, talking about the murder.

Saying police are aware and will b keeping an eye on the situation.

Good news, a start anyway.

Words are cheap. Action counts. Keep us updated please.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Quick update, Pu yai bahn just been on the PA, talking about the murder.

Saying police are aware and will b keeping an eye on the situation.

Good news, a start anyway.

hope so ........................good luck with that anyway.

• Like 2

It's like the old newspaper saying: It isn't news when the plane lands safely.

People like to gripe and complain -- and people who like to post about how happy they are can be a bit suspect as people who are truly happy don't always have it in their makeup to want to post about it.

It's like the old newspaper saying: It isn't news when the plane lands safely.

People like to gripe and complain -- and people who like to post about how happy they are can be a bit suspect as people who are truly happy don't always have it in their makeup to want to post about it.

“The only people I know that have no problems are people I don’t know well.”
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The manic said:

After reading this thread no-one with any sense would consider living in a village. Neither the local or foreigners seem very nice and the  life of joyless  tedium, poverty and fear seems unattractive to say the least.

Not for you or me for sure.

But, depends on the reason for them.

I do know some guys that have lived a very hectic life maybe in a big city and someway, living on a farm seems appealing.  Having land with animals/crops to take care of.

Then there are the ones who are talked into it by their gf or wives.  They want to be close to family, etc. and the girls convince them to make the move.

Then there are those that may be running from something.  Who knows why, but they want to generally be away from people. 

I actually think it is more of the second one.  TG influenced life.

But if people are happy then God bless them and please try to enjoy a good life.

Just now, bkk6060 said:

I do know some guys that have lived a very hectic life maybe in a big city and someway, living on a farm seems appealing.  Having land with animals/crops to take care of.

Then there are the ones who are talked into it by their gf or wives.  They want to be close to family, etc. and the girls convince them to make the move.

Then there are those that may be running from something.  Who knows why, but they want to generally be away from people. 

But if people are happy then God bless them and please try to enjoy a good life.

No one seems happy on this thread, feel the need to own guns. suffer fear of theft, paranoid about youth, obsessed with ' druggies whatever that means, don't like or trust their Thai neighbours, are scared to go out at night etc etc.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, mogandave said:
2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

“The only people I know that have no problems are people I don’t know well.”

In Thailand I know people with problems but they are all non-English speaking young Thai females who have ways of reciprocating if I choose to help them with their problems.

I'm very happy. Thailand, like any other country, has good & bad.

I have a lovely wife, & finally have contentment.

The UK has a massive heroin problem - also huge numbers of young people who are homeless.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, smotherb said:

I guess you have a limited imagination. There are many places to store weapons and magazines separately, yet away from children. Children are never too young to be told not to play with guns. And, yes, why don't you just carry it with you?  Of course, you can simply not have a gun and allow the intruders have their way. I don't have a gun here in Thailand, but I often wish I did.

If you are storing weapons and magazines separately, wouldn't that just add to the time to prepare a gun? The point of a gun in a real situation is you need it as fast as you can, and ideally even faster to compose yourself. The way this logic is being put forward is implying your average person has the speed/nerves of superman. Seeing as trained/experienced police officers who carry/familiarise themselves with guns on a daily basis don't come anywhere near this, I wonder what brings you to the conclusion that other people would be able to do this who go to gun ranges on a irregular basis. 

If you are 50 metres away outside, you would have to run into the house, get the gun, then run around to another part of the house to load the gun. Are we assuming the intruders are having a smoke break during this time? 

You cant carry it with you due to the simple fact it is illegal. Children are never too young not to be told? I completely agree with early education of children and guns, but as we all know, young children are not in full control of their faculties 100% of the time. Any specific examples of why you wish you had a gun here in Thailand? 

• Thanks 1

No one seems happy on this thread, feel the need to own guns. suffer fear of theft, paranoid about youth, obsessed with ' druggies whatever that means, don't like or trust their Thai neighbours, are scared to go out at night etc etc.

I have lived here 17 years and I do not feel like I need a gun, but (apparently) unlike you, I am not afraid of guns, my kids are smart enough to understand they are not toys, and am not trying to take them away from law abiding citizens.

I find it sad (albeit telling) that you use your fear of guns to try to take mine away and deprive someone living out in the country a way of protecting themselves.

• Like 1

Just now, faraday said:

I'm very happy. Thailand, like any other country, has good & bad.

I have a lovely wife, & finally have contentment.

The UK has a massive heroin problem - also huge numbers of young people who are homeless.

The UK does not have a huge heroin problem.  The drug of choice is cocaine, ecstasy and Ganga. The UK also has a free at the point of service health care system, welfare payments and as in most countries, young people do not own homes. .They live with their parents. There is also rule of law with a police force who though incompetent and complacent  are not extremely corrupt. However, I believe there are problems in the UK, immigration,  The growth of Islam, The time wasting drug laws, the dominance of PC culture, extreme left wing feminism,  diversity leading to division, too many taxes unprecedented levels of extreme street violence, dismal night life, high prices and awful weather. I live in Pattaya but return to the UK two months a year. The cities are becoming worse and worse. When they start to improve the hard left organises anti gentrification campaigns to drive out new innovative people. The UK and Europe is lost. 

Edited by The manic

6 minutes ago, The manic said:

The UK does not have a huge heroin problem.  The drug of choice is cocaine, ecstasy and Ganga. 

The UK has like many other countries a serious problem concerning drugs.

What does it matter whether heroin/ cocaine/ ecstasy it has a serious problem.

Also what has the UK got to do with the drug problem in my village?

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

You seem to want to ignore my posts and those of other very happy rural village dwellers. You seem to have an agenda or have made up your mind without having any experience.

I fell in love with Thailand on my first visit and after that explored the length and breadth of the country. I particularly loved the 'freedom', the countryside scenery (never been a beach fan) and relaxed way of life. My business took me to Chiang Mai and there I settled, living in or near the city for my work. But I got out into the countryside as much as possible at weekends and now that I no longer work I've chosen to move out to a beautiful scenic, quiet and safe village. This is heaven for me and my wife.

Having a home with all the conveniences in it that anyone could need, living in a quiet and peaceful place, being able to go for walks or bike rides in the most beautiful countryside and forests right on your doorstep, having a large garden to enjoy at leisure, having happy and friendly (very resourceful) neighbours, shopping for farm fresh vegetables in the local market at a fraction of the price in city supermarkets, eating big portions of delicious food at local restaurants for 30-35 baht a dish - these are my realities. I understand that these are things that don't appeal to some folk and that's fine, but don't knock other people who are living their dream.

And by the way, not everyone who lives in the countryside is a farmer!

You have found and described an idyllic life style. I have travelled much of the countryside that surrounds CM, thus can relate to your sentiments. And short version, my gal from the south said after being there with me for just a few days, "the people here are totally different from the south, much friendlier".

Bravo to you, continue to enjoy. Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Just now, mogandave said:

I have lived here 17 years and I do not feel like I need a gun, but (apparently) unlike you, I am not afraid of guns, my kids are smart enough to understand they are not toys, and am not trying to take them away from law abiding citizens.

I find it sad (albeit telling) that you use your fear of guns to try to take mine away and deprive someone living out in the country a way of protecting themselves.

I shoot on a weekly basis. I do not live in an area where I feel I need  a gun. Guns are supposed to be fearful. That is their purpose so yes I fear them and their owners even more. Widespread gun possession leads to increased  murders, injuries,  accidental injuries, self inflicted injuries, gun related suicides and mass killing. The obsession with guns is a peculiarly American sickness.  I reiterate if anyone lives in such a dangerous area that they believe they need a gun for self protection they are deluded or if not they should move immediately. 

50 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

If you are storing weapons and magazines separately, wouldn't that just add to the time to prepare a gun? The point of a gun in a real situation is you need it as fast as you can, and ideally even faster to compose yourself. The way this logic is being put forward is implying your average person has the speed/nerves of superman. Seeing as trained/experienced police officers who carry/familiarise themselves with guns on a daily basis don't come anywhere near this, I wonder what brings you to the conclusion that other people would be able to do this who go to gun ranges on a irregular basis. 

If you are 50 metres away outside, you would have to run into the house, get the gun, then run around to another part of the house to load the gun. Are we assuming the intruders are having a smoke break during this time? 

You cant carry it with you due to the simple fact it is illegal. Children are never too young not to be told? I completely agree with early education of children and guns, but as we all know, young children are not in full control of their faculties 100% of the time. Any specific examples of why you wish you had a gun here in Thailand? 

Not everyone has children in the house. And, as I said, you have to use your imagination. When my son was young, I built concealed storage areas in two closets--one in the front of the house and one in my bedroom--behind false-walls. They could only be opened from the top--far out of a child's reach--and only if you knew how to open them.

Just having a gun in Thailand is illegal unless you have a permit. I do not; therefore, I do not have a gun. If you have a permit here, I may be legal to carry it on your property. However, there are countries where you do not need a permit or license to have and carry a gun, especially on your property.

So, why do I wish I had one here? I like having guns. I was given a .22 semi-auto Remington 550 at six years of age. I took it to school twice a week in 8th through 12th grades. I was in the shooting club; a club which had not one gun related accident in its 40 year history. I gave that Remington to my son on our rural land when he was six. He could hit the spent brass of a .22 at 30 yards when he was eight. He plans on giving it to his son when he turns six.  Our land has great hunting for bear, deer, turkeys, rabbits and raccoons. As you may have guessed, I use guns for sport shooting and hunting as well a self defense.

Contrary to your beliefs, I want the option of being able to defend my family. I do not claim gun ownership is infallible. However, I also ride motorcycles, work in war zones, live in third-world countries, and do other things some would think is dangerous and/or foolhardy.  It is my life and as long as I do not break the law or hurt someone; I do not care what others think.

Edited by smotherb

Just now, colinneil said:

The UK has like many other countries a serious problem concerning drugs.

What does it matter whether heroin/ cocaine/ ecstasy it has a serious problem.

Also what has the UK got to do with the drug problem in my village?

Because it's not a problem.  It's recreational drug use.  Not your business. As for drugs in your village-Drug related issues as part of village life has been a recurring theme on this thread. The UK, like many other countries has a drug 'law" problem underpinned by ignorant and ill informed individuals on the one hand and the cynical and corrupt on the other.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, The manic said:

After reading this thread no-one with any sense would consider living in a village. Neither the local or foreigners seem very nice and the  life of joyless  tedium, poverty and fear seems unattractive to say the least.

Many of us on TVF are very happy with living in a village and are quite sensible. I am the only permanent foreigner in a 6km radius of where I live and all of the locals I meet ARE very nice. There are a few more foreigners but they are FIFOs (as I used to be) and they are OK too.

Joyless tedium? Really? Not for me as I can always find a lot of things to do around 15 rai of land.

Poverty? Not really though like most other people I can always use more money.

Fear? What is there to afraid of out here where I live.

There may be where you live but that is not all of Thailand.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I have lived and worked in 38 countries and lived in rural areas as well as cities. Now I am retired I am quite happy to live in peaceful, uncrowded, rural Nakhon Nowhere.

My wifes family live in BKK with a branch in Nakhon Ratchasima 3 or 400 km away. I like the BKK lot and generally see them once or twice a year and the Korat lot I generally meet at funerals.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, smotherb said:

<snip> Our land has great hunting for bear, deer, turkeys, rabbits and raccoons. As you may have guessed, I use guns for sport shooting and hunting as well a self defense.

<snip2>

Edited by JLCrab