Living in a quiet Issan village.

colinneil

17 hours ago, Wang Lalker said:

i dont see that i am doing anything wrong. i like variety and get bored going to the same shops places people etc so a change of location adds missing variety even if one does the same things in the next place

Change is the spice of life, my job in semi-retirement gives me just that - I tend to work in one country for a month, then another, and another but all in Africa, then I come back to SE Asia and travel for six months, then do it all over again.  Works for us right??

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm wondering if Issan is more violent. I live periodically in a Thai village south of Chiang Rai. It's reasonably prosperous, they crop rice twice a year. Have never seen a police presence there. The poo yai settles local disputes. The biggest problem is petty theft, everyone has barred windows.

I feel quite safe there, although I must admit my next door neighbour's habit of blasting away with a shotgun during thunderstorms to frighten away evil spirits is a bit unsettling.

LOL LOL LOL LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Maybe you think thats funny mate, but i dont.

My inability to move prevents me from protecting my wife.

With all the s++te going on these days, security is my main concern, that is the main reason we have cctv.

OK cctv wont stop intruders, but it gives us some warning, so police can be called.

I am very hawkish about protecting what is mine, I would own a firearm, and yes, foreign residents can own firearms in Thailand if there is a good reason, yours is one of them.  It's not the easiest thing to do in Thailand but not impossible.  I even have a friend that has his own firing range in Kao Yai, on his land, he has licenses for all his firearms and even one to carry, and he is not disabled.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm AUS and I've had no problem adjusting to the way of village life here and I have always lived in the Isaan region of Thailand. In the villages that I have lived in Nong Bua Lamphu, Udon Thani and Khon Kaen provinces I have never came over any problems in those villages so not all villages are the same and not all Isaan people are the same and not all Thai people are the same and not all farangs are the same. Even though where I am now near Khon Kaen there are more drunken farangs that cause trouble than the Thai's do
Khon Kaen I have only been to twice , I should go again as it looked OK to me (They were just day trips)

I am Aussie as well & have had no issues adjusting. But I know some of my mates back home couldnt do it..Maybe when their older but we are all around 50ish so most of them still work & like the lifestyle there I suppose!

Sent from my X9079 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Maybe you think thats funny mate, but i dont.

My inability to move prevents me from protecting my wife.

With all the s++te going on these days, security is my main concern, that is the main reason we have cctv.

OK cctv wont stop intruders, but it gives us some warning, so police can be called.

i hear what your saying and sorry if it upset you. it was meant to be a bit toung in cheek being up all night looking at your cctv screen. id get a guard dog if your that concerned.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:38 PM, namatjira said:

Unfortunately, I can confirm the sad status of Thai village life, I stayed with my girlfriend for a few months out near Phayoa and was surprised that in the rural areas it was like a battle zone...everyone locked up tight at night, cars, motorcycles locked away and no way would anyone open the door after dark if someone was knocking.

i thought it would all b

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:38 PM, namatjira said:

Unfortunately, I can confirm the sad status of Thai village life, I stayed with my girlfriend for a few months out near Phayoa and was surprised that in the rural areas it was like a battle zone...everyone locked up tight at night, cars, motorcycles locked away and no way would anyone open the door after dark if someone was knocking.

i thought it would all be laid back and everyone knowing each other with little crime.....not to be.......it’s not what it appears to be.

e laid back and everyone knowing each other with little crime.....not to be.......it’s not what it appears to be.

I live also in a small village in Issan, 7 years now have motorbike and pickup never lock anything up including the house when we go out, only time is when we go down to Patts for a week, never had anything stolen, guess it's where you live and luck of the draw

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, akirasan said:

Glad to hear you're ok mate. That would shake anybody up. 

I'm lucky here (between Sisaket and Surin) a soi dog adopted us so he sleeps at our house and acts as security in exchange for a steady flow of food. 

With you there mate, we had a Thai dog turn up one day, bout a year old.

He's now boss of our four others and can be a right nasty bastard.

People who he doesn't know won't get out of the car.

Dogs, best deterrent going.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 3:52 PM, colinneil said:

Never a dull moment is an understatement, quiet Issan village, with all the drugs about now its like the wild west.

Sad thing about last night, the poor man who was murdered was struck down with polio when he was a child, and like me his legs were useless, so unable to get away.

Where in Isaan is this then as I stay in Isaan also near Sues,  Roi Et

1 minute ago, grollies said:

With you there mate, we had a Thai dog turn up one day, bout a year old.

He's now boss of our four others and can be a right nasty bastard.

People who he doesn't know won't get out of the car.

Dogs, best deterrent going.

Dogs are ok until somebody poisons them, as has happened here several times.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

We are inundated with rice rats. Took in five kittens on separate occasions found in garden when their parent(s) were poisoned. Unfortunately, as soon as they reached maturity and went on the roam they got poisoned too.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You're right and that is part of village life, poisoning dogs, pretty sad. My wife suspects our immediate neighbour poisoned her dog years ago.

But, poisioning dogs is not part of an attack on your house, rather, it is retaliatory if someone doesn't like you or your dogs are killing their chickens.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There is something to be said for living in a condo. Difficult for criminals to reconnoitre beforehand. Problems in making a getaway. And they don't know what may be waiting for them behind the door.

Hmmmm, condo living. Not for me, bit like prison with privilages? Probably a discussion for s separate topic though?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, grollies said:

Hmmmm, condo living. Not for me, bit like prison with privilages? Probably a discussion for s separate topic though?

I think it depends on one's perspective. As I may have said previously, I live in a Thai village periodically. I would be bored shitless if I lived there all the time.

My condo in CM ( rented ) gives me a range of restaurants to eat at, swimming pool, golf nearby. When I want to chill out, the village for a week does that. So I get the best of both worlds.

There will come a time when I have to choose. At this stage, I think it will come down to the condo.

• Like 1

I live in ISSAN, I solved the problem immediately. I have 13 wonderful dogs who ALL stay on my farm. People come and go here but have a respect for our property. Dogs ( animals )  our humans absolute best and loyal friend keeping in mind you treat them with respect and love. They will take care of you with every breath they take.

Anyone got balls enough to try to breach my my security team? Bring it on. It wont end well. LOL LOL LOL.

Works every time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

But unfortunately your security can be breached and it happens everyday here in Thailand and that is poison baits and the only ones that suffer is the poor animals.

If your security is breeched by thieves poisoning your 13 dogs I think you would be likely to suffer too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nervona81732 said:

I live in ISSAN, I solved the problem immediately. I have 13 wonderful dogs who ALL stay on my farm. People come and go here but have a respect for our property. Dogs ( animals )  our humans absolute best and loyal friend keeping in mind you treat them with respect and love. They will take care of you with every breath they take.

Anyone got balls enough to try to breach my my security team? Bring it on. It wont end well. LOL LOL LOL.

Works every time.

13 dogs, man after my own heart. I've 5 but would have another 5 anytime. Missus won't have it though. I've a bangeao (?) cross bitch who I'd love to breed with our Thai dog. Wifey might be a sucker for the pups! Those two make a great tag-team, seen them rip up a stray, I had to shoot it in the end.

• Sad 3

On 6/9/2018 at 9:01 PM, Wang Lalker said:

lowcals you cant trust 'em
one of the reasons i keep moving, dont stay in one place longer than 3 months and you escape the lowcals wrath, you can always return months in the future and you will find any wrath that may have been developing has left town or dissipated, start again a fresh
so perhaps have a seaside residence or cheap hotels in a number of different places for frequent month long holidays elsewhere.
that said i very rarely stay in hotels that i havent stayed in before these days as i have a huge cache of pretested places in the region

people are mostly please to see you on return and treat you even better than before cumulatively.

I've lived in the same house for eleven years, come September. I live on a small soi in an upscale neighborhood of a large city. Other than having to cure some of the neighbors from parking in front of my driveway, I have never had any problems with anyone. We have no people hanging about on the soi, no animals running loose or making noises, no loud or drunken parties, no rubbish lying about and no crime.

• Like 1