Dual Citizens death in Thailand

Tongjaw

Just a quick question for some assistance please.

A expat friend of mine has died here in Thailand at the ripe old age of 83. He held 2 passports, British and Australian. Does his Thai wife have to report his death to both embassies? He had told her she only had to report it to the British embassy as that’s the one with which has his Thai visa. They’ve been married almost 40 years now so as I’m sure you can imagine she is quite distraught. I’m sure once their sons and daughter arrive from overseas she can settle down and not stress so much. A few of the expat wife’s, mine included are staying with her for comfort just now. 

Thanks for any help you can offer. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, reargunnerph3 said:

Was he receiving a pension from the UK or Australia? Is it still being paid? Will the pension stop if you report his death? 

Does she need the money to survive? Up to you. Don't rock the boat? 

Pension from U.K. He’s been good with investments so has left his wife very comfortable. 

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

• Like 1

Notify both the UK and Australian embassies so that both his passports can be cancelled. The UK must be notified if he is getting any government pension so that it can be stopped otherwise when they find out it could mean fraud charges and the repayment of the overpayment money.

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone for your replies. Today once his wife was able to think straight we found out that he has left written instruction in the event of his death. All insurances and investments have been documented and he  had everything in place for a while now. Their kids arrive tonight, I spoke to his son and he received and email last week from his father explainung where all the papers are. 

Once  again thank all of you TV members for your helpful information. 

Edited by Tongjaw
Spelling

17 hours ago, jackdd said:

Having a passport means having citizenship and i'm quite sure that every country wants to know if one of it's citizens died so they can update their databases accordingly. So i would give both a call.

if she want to collect the pensions 

18 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Notify both the UK and Australian embassies so that both his passports can be cancelled. The UK must be notified if he is getting any government pension so that it can be stopped otherwise when they find out it could mean fraud charges and the repayment of the overpayment money.

Question for you, who would they come after for the repayment of the overpayment money?

On 6/12/2018 at 6:31 AM, stevenl said:

Question for you, who would they come after for the repayment of the overpayment money?

I expect the executors of his will would be liable if they had not informed the relevant authorities of his death. 

Any overpayment that was put into the deceased bank account would have to be returned. 

If his wife profits from the overpayments, then she would be required to repay the money. 

Wether the UK Department for Work and Pensions chase her in Thailand, is another matter. 

Similar happened to me in UK when my father died. The DWP were all over me within days for the overpayments to be returned.