Not following Junta plan could soon be a crime - for 20 years

snoop1130

Not following Junta plan could soon be a crime - for 20 years

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

plan-696x464.jpg

BANGKOK — Junta-appointed lawmakers will decide Thursday whether future civilian leaders should face criminal prosecution for not following plans left in place by the military government for the next 20 years.

National Legislative Assembly member Wallop Tangkananuwat said Monday that there is a need to make sure future governments stick to the yet to be finalized National Strategic Plan – while allowing some room for some flexibility.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/06/11/not-following-junta-plan-could-soon-be-a-crime-for-20-years/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-6-11
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

So even with a valid and solid mandate, any government is still bound to a twenty year road map drafted by people who lack such mandate and broke the law to be in this position.

Does anyone believe democracy will return to Thailand...

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

Yes. And no. To answer your questions in order. 

Edited by InfinityandBeyond
Amendment
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

So even with a valid and solid mandate, any government is still bound to a twenty year road map drafted by people who lack such mandate and broke the law to be in this position.

Does anyone believe democracy will return to Thailand...

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

I believe it was never really here in the first place. (Democracy). There has always been a form of Thai democracy but it was hardly a full version of democracy with real checks and balances.

The 20 year plan is crazy if its too strict, though planning a bit further ahead would not be a bad thing for stuff like watermanagement (Prayut has neglected it). Seems like every government comes up with new plans for the flooding but it never survives a next government. These kind of things should be in such a plan.  What Prayut puts into it is just too restrictive.

It would be nice if they could decrease army spending and abolish the draft as been suggested. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

I believe it was never really here in the first place. (Democracy). There has always been a form of Thai democracy but it was hardly a full version of democracy with real checks and balances.

The 20 year plan is crazy if its too strict, though planning a bit further ahead would not be a bad thing for stuff like watermanagement (Prayut has neglected it). Seems like every government comes up with new plans for the flooding but it never survives a next government. These kind of things should be in such a plan.  What Prayut puts into it is just too restrictive.

It would be nice if they could decrease army spending and abolish the draft as been suggested. 

The funny thing is they may push through legislation to ensure successive gov'ts follow their 20 year plan. But from the OP, there isn't even a plan finalized yet. 

Which is scary if they put this legislation through before an accepted plan is put forward. 

Then they have carte blanche. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sjaak327 said:

Of course there was real democracy, there is no doubt. The first thing any government should do is return to the 1997 constitution as that one did ensure democracy. Of course, if that happens the government will be dismissed by the senate, and if that somehow fails, the tanks are back on the street. I have said it over four years ago, and there is ample evidence to suggest this, and that is that the coup was never about anything other than ensure that real power resides by precious few people outside of the ballot box. Everything they have done to date, (of which this is just one example) is geared toward that goal. Democracy my ass.

I disagree, that there was a real democracy. As long as there are no real checks and balances and governments can pull the stunts the PTP did i din't see it as a real democracy. You obviously think there was...  lets agree to disagree.

Whatever the coup reasons were.. it was made easier by the Thaksin amnesty that brought normal people onto the streets and that was followed up by Suthep when he saw his chance to make it bigger and help the army. But PTP created the problem in the first place by how they acted. 

Anyway i think long term plans are great for stuff like water management ( i fault Thaksin / Prayut and many others for constantly changing plans and by this constantly postponing solutions). I don't think its good for many other things like how its setup now. So i guess we are in agreement there. 

Just now, InfinityandBeyond said:

The funny thing is they may push through legislation to ensure successive gov'ts follow their 20 year plan. But from the OP, there isn't even a plan finalized yet. 

Which is scary if they put this legislation through before an accepted plan is put forward. 

Then they have carte blanche. 

The whole thing is scary and stupid, i can see things like water management that should be set for 20 years, maybe the same should be done for garbage disposal. But I don't really see it for the other stuff.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

The whole thing is scary and stupid, i can see things like water management that should be set for 20 years, maybe the same should be done for garbage disposal. But I don't really see it for the other stuff.

But here is the thing. Things are always changing in the world of free markets.  Currency, commodity prices, weather events that could one year yield a bumper crop and the next wipe out a significant part of the GDP, as well as external factors like foreign wars and elections. Unless they have a crystal ball, this proposal is pure folly. 

To lock a nation into a 20 year plan (which has not yet even been presented) reeks of a Maoist totalitarian state. 

That being said,  as to your points of bureaucratic/adminstrative changes (re: water & waste management etc.). I agree there has to be a comprehensive and long-term and sustainable plan that transcends changes in gov't. 

However, my feeling is this proposed legislation will not address these issues, rather it is a political move so that the PTB can manoeuvre themselves back into a position of ultimate control for Infinity & Beyond in order make things up as they go along and persecute those who interrupt their money supply. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, InfinityandBeyond said:

But here is the thing. Things are always changing in the world of free markets.  Currency, commodity prices, weather events that could one year yield a bumper crop and the next wipe out a significant part of the GDP, as well as external factors like foreign wars and elections. Unless they have a crystal ball, this proposal is pure folly. 

To lock a nation into a 20 year plan (which has not yet even been presented) reeks of a Maoist totalitarian state. 

That being said,  as to your points of bureaucratic/adminstrative changes (re: water & waste management etc.). I agree there has to be a comprehensive and long-term and sustainable plan that transcends changes in gov't. 

However, my feeling is this proposed legislation will not address these issues, rather it is a political move so that the PTB can manoeuvre themselves back into a position of ultimate control for Infinity & Beyond in order make things up as they go along and persecute those who interrupt their money supply. 

I agree about your feelings, I doubt its about useful stuff like i mentioned. Its about control. 

I just would have loved if they used it for water management and garbage management. Each new goverment seems to stop the previous ones water plans and nothing really gets done. For stuff like that yes a 20 year plan.. other stuff.. no way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

exactly