Ukranian skimmers stealing from Phuket people bought 18 million baht houses

snoop1130

Ukranian skimmers stealing from Phuket people bought 18 million baht houses

sk.jpg

video screenshot

Three Ukranian skimmers who have been operating in Phuket for the last four years have purchased two houses worth 18 million baht on the proceeds.

Police said there were lots of victims. 

CCTV from Krabi has led to the arrest of one of the gang - 38 year old Oleksandr Volvach. He was caught pressing an SCB ATM machine with a fake card.

His two friends got wise to their arrest and are still at large.

All three came to Thailand in 2014 and have been living in the expensive houses in Talang district of Phuket.

They used a new type of skimmer to read card details and photograph using a small camera inside the ATM slot. 

They garnered card details from ATMs in Phuket then went to Krabi to withdraw funds from many accounts. 

Fifty fake cards loaded with stolen details were found at one of the houses along with more than 20,000 baht in Thai money and dollars. 

Police advised ATM users in Phuket to check machines carefully before withdrawing cash. 

Source: http://news.ch7.com/detail/290164

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-6-11
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

BKK bank provides an SMS message service to tell you instantly of credits and ATM withdrawals on your account, 15bht a month...:thumbsup:

I think all the main banks have a similar option. I have  the same at SCB though not sure how much I paid. I need to do it for my BKK Bank account as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FNQ said:

I have an APP on my phone called "Skimmer Scanner" seems to work okay.

Interesting. Serious questions how do you know it's working ... does it beep or send a message or what? how often has it warned you?

Edited by todlad
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, FNQ said:

I have an APP on my phone called "Skimmer Scanner" seems to work okay.

Was sceptical reading this - how would it work? I see they scan for a Bluetooth transmitter which is often used in the skimmer. It's all good unless the scammers are happy to just retrieve the device which has details stored in memory. 

49 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Not the brightest bunch to invest their ill gotten gains into houses they can’t own and nearly impossible to resell..

that is why they became crooks instead of making a living and getting a life

2 hours ago, cedel said:

Please put those scumbags in a thai jail and for long time ! Fed up about reading all the scammers and criminals from the earth always go to Thailand and live luxury life with the money stolen from honest people working hard for it ! 

Mmmm....yes it seems strange that all the criminals and low-life scum on the planet always head for Thailand. I wonder why......LOL!

• Sad 3

Just now, ScammedInThailand said:

Mmmm....yes it seems strange that all the criminals and low-life scum on the planet always head for Thailand. I wonder why......LOL!

They will head to any country if they think their stuff will work..

• Like 1

When I want to connect to my bank online they send me an sms code to login. Would it be so hard to add such 2 factor authentication to ATM's?

I pitch up and enter my card, then enter my PIN. ATM sends me an SMS with a code, 4, 6, 8 digits, whatever. I enter that code on the ATM keypad to gain access.

So you need not only the card but also the phone of the person whose account you want to access. Time limit on the entry as as well.

Of course no use to those without phones, but I'd say most banks would be happy to do without their business as it's probably a small fraction of the total.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Not the brightest bunch to invest their ill gotten gains into houses they can’t own and nearly impossible to resell..

I was thinking the same. But at least we should give them some points for spending the money locally ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

How about the banks doing a check every morning to see if there has been any tampering of their ATMs has occurred overnight and then shutting those which have been tampered with down and reviewing cctv on those machines to give to the police to flow up. Simple procedure no?

leaving it up to the public who have no idea what an installed card skimmer device looks like is simply passing their duties off on the consumer. Their machines...their responsibility and that includes any losses incurred by the person using them! End of discussion!

PLEASE REMEMBER WHERE WE LIVE...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, todlad said:

Interesting. Serious questions how do you know it's working ... does it beep or send a message or what? how often has it warned you?

It tells you if no bluetooth working which apparently these skimmers work on, just hold phone near keyboard click the icon and it tells you if it's all clear, up until recently you could'nt get this app on iphones only android phones, and it's free!