A strange website that looks like one from Microsoft

jenny2017

I got one like this yesterday.   Scared the heck out of me because they said I had been infected by ransomware.  Shut the computer off then turned it back on.  The next one that I got this morning said a fan was broken on my laptop and could ruin the computer.....checked the fan and it wasn't running, so again scared the heck out of me.......kept track of the heat all day and it didn't seem to be a problem.  About an hour ago I took of the back cover and the fan was running.

Kind of wonder how my Kaspersky software allowed this to get by.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And you clicked on a link in the mail?

Of course this is a fake and dangerous.

I hope you didn't continue with Scan ...

Thanks, of course, would I never ever click on something similar. 

2 minutes ago, gkroo said:

Yes I also received this message yesterday but did not open or scan,ran a scan on my malwarebytes ap and also Ccleaner ap and all was good.

The scan would have been the entrance to all. 

3 hours ago, TGIR said:

I got one like this yesterday.   Scared the heck out of me because they said I had been infected by ransomware.  Shut the computer off then turned it back on.  The next one that I got this morning said a fan was broken on my laptop and could ruin the computer.....checked the fan and it wasn't running, so again scared the heck out of me.......kept track of the heat all day and it didn't seem to be a problem.  About an hour ago I took of the back cover and the fan was running.

Kind of wonder how my Kaspersky software allowed this to get by.

I'm also wondering why Kaspersky doesn't pick up more. Even Windows defender finds serious stuff not recognized by Kaspersky? 

4 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Doesn't look anything like an email or a site from Microsoft.

If that fooled you then perhaps you shouldn't have a computer.

Its identical to some Microsoft sites , the only difference is the address in the address box

• Like 1

Just now, sanemax said:
5 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Its identical to some Microsoft sites , the only difference is the address in the address box

Yes, and that should be enough for anyone to know the email is a scam.   It amazes me how little tech knowledge some people have despite everyone using computers for the past 40 years.

Why would anyone even click a link in an email anyway?  

23 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Yes, and that should be enough for anyone to know the email is a scam.   It amazes me how little tech knowledge some people have despite everyone using computers for the past 40 years.
Why would anyone even click a link in an email anyway?  

It wasnt from an E-mail .

It just popped up on my screen with an alarm ringing .

Everyone hasnt been using computers for 40 years and I can understand why some people may think that its genuine , because fake Microsoft sites popping up isnt common , its not a well known scam

On 6/11/2018 at 5:03 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Just look at the internet address, doesn't say Microsoft.com but a lot of 21hg2132gh1j432gh1

It doesn't. The website is cloudfront.net, a popular image hoster.

They are perfect ‘night-lights’ but maybe I’m not using it up to it’s full potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, wump said:

It doesn't. The website is cloudfront.net, a popular image hoster.

No, the website name is the combination of the letters/numbers AND cloudfront.net

Cloudfront.net is a legitimate and safe content delivery network owned by Amazon, however cyber criminals are abusing this CDN to deliver malicious content.

So, not only a image hoster, can host anything.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sanemax said:

Everyone hasnt been using computers for 40 years and I can understand why some people may think that its genuine , because fake Microsoft sites popping up isnt common , its not a well known scam

You always need to start looking at the address or when it is an email to the senders name, most of them are easy to recognize as fake.

11 hours ago, sanemax said:

I think that means your PC is infected.

On 6/12/2018 at 6:41 PM, jenny2017 said:

I'm also wondering why Kaspersky doesn't pick up more. Even Windows defender finds serious stuff not recognized by Kaspersky? 

Maybe kaspersky and Norton are the virus creators. 

I consider Norton software to be a virus in itself. Should be easy to uninstall but Norton made it a hassle to uninstall itself back when I tried it.

Virus= hassle QED 

4 hours ago, stud858 said:

Maybe kaspersky and Norton are the virus creators. 

I consider Norton software to be a virus in itself. Should be easy to uninstall but Norton made it a hassle to uninstall itself back when I tried it.

Virus= hassle QED 

In days of olde (~1989) THE antivirus for the PC was McAfee.  I had a buddy at the time who was dead certain the viruses were coming from McAfee itself, and would go on and on about it.  He may have been right.

There are a few wiseacres out there who say that Windows itself is a virus  ?

9 hours ago, bendejo said:

In days of olde (~1989) THE antivirus for the PC was McAfee.  I had a buddy at the time who was dead certain the viruses were coming from McAfee itself, and would go on and on about it.  He may have been right.

There are a few wiseacres out there who say that Windows itself is a virus  ?

A virus on one's life.  I agree. Life was much less stressful without Microsoft and computers.