helmet with built in camera

Thian

I searched a lot on the web but can't find a good motorhelmet with built-in camera.

Yes there are ones with a 360 degree cam for 1500us$ but i need a cheaper one.  I can also make it myself if i can find a good set to build in.

So who has a built in camera in his helmet? I don't want one mounted on the outside, i would like it to be invisible and maybe connected to the 12V of the bike by a wire. Or a solarpanel glued on top if that gives enough power.

Just now, ezzra said:

I have seen one with a satellite dish and a mini fridge full of beer all built in ready for the soccer's mondial....

There's no soccer mondial cause Holland ain't playing.?

You could easily strip a mobius camera down and fit it somewhere.  How you fit it is the issue and whether you spoilt the integrity of the helmet.  Mobius also supply an extended ribbon cable for mounting the lense out of its box.  Popular with drone racers.

mobius.jpg

Edited by BBJ
  • Like 1

What kind of quality do you expect? The only way to build it inside the helmet without damaging the helmet is to have the camera behind the visor. But of course then it has to be so small that it fits and doesn't block your view. So what BBJ suggested is probably a quite good idea, but from what i saw on youtube the quality of this camera is soso compared with the high end action cams

1 hour ago, BBJ said:

You could easily strip a mobius camera down and fit it somewhere.  How you fit it is the issue and whether you spoilt the integrity of the helmet.  Mobius also supply an extended ribbon cable for mounting the lense out of its box.  Popular with drone racers.

mobius.jpg

Yes a set like this should work, it has to be waterproof though. Drones also have HD-cams which are great.

I know i shouldn't drill holes in my helmet but i think in thailand i can. That casing can be glued to the back of the helmet.

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

What kind of quality do you expect? The only way to build it inside the helmet without damaging the helmet is to have the camera behind the visor. But of course then it has to be so small that it fits and doesn't block your view. So what BBJ suggested is probably a quite good idea, but from what i saw on youtube the quality of this camera is soso compared with the high end action cams

Yes it has to be small, high quality, waterproof and can be glued in a small hole. I don't like to drive with closed visor, mostly i only use sunglasses. If i had a helmet without visor i could drill a hole and put it on top.

I just want to film what i see happening all days and maybe put it on youtube. And i need HD or so for that, good quality. Drones can do that, they have good cams.

Yes a set like this should work, it has to be waterproof though. Drones also have HD-cams which are great.
I know i shouldn't drill holes in my helmet but i think in thailand i can. That casing can be glued to the back of the helmet.

Sounds like your prepared to forego the safety of your helmet for this.

Good luck with that !!! (I was in a Head Trauma Ward last month BTW)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want to film what i see happening all days and maybe put it on youtube. And i need HD or so for that, good quality.

If that's what you are using it for and not for secretly recording cops then just have a gopro type camera on the helmet or use a harness, much simpler than drilling holes and all that nonsense. Batteries only last around an hour so yes best to get a usb attachment to the battery somehow

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If that's what you are using it for and not for secretly recording cops then just have a gopro type camera on the helmet or use a harness, much simpler than drilling holes and all that nonsense. Batteries only last around an hour so yes best to get a usb attachment to the battery somehow

Yes i also like to film the cops without them knowing it but mainly the stupidity one can see on the Thai roads daily. 

Filming and drilling a hole isn't the hardest part for me, finding a helmet that fits is impossible though but i'll bring one from abroad. 

I don't understand why brands like Shoei, Schuberth, Arai don't have anything with camera...bmw has it but that's more for airforce pilots.

If i use a gopro i can't put my helmet under the buddyseat, also i don't like to have that huge thing on my helmet. They should build a gopro with the camera on a long wire.

The battery is another problem, 1 hour is far too short so i'll have to connect it to another powersource or just a flexible solar panel on the helmet...that would be the best.

I bought a gopro type camera to use with a harness and my scooter, in the end i decided it was too much trouble, battery won't last plus all these short trips camera on off what a pain, so now its in the car as a dashcam. Also i realised the roads aren't as bad as i expected.

Also if you stay legal, the police are no problem

6 hours ago, katana said:

Why not just mount a GoPro on the handlebars with a handlebar mount?

I guess the whole point is to have a "eye" view when filming. 

Go pro is boxy, but I prefer that camera that involves alot of water, but there is som few other cams you can choose from, and connected to a power bank in your pocket or so, you will have quite a few hour of action. 

9 hours ago, Thian said:

Yes the gopro's are the best but they should make a deal with Shoei or Schuberth and integrate them in those helmest.

Actually the best camera is the Sony FDR X3000. Came out when the Gopro 5 came out nearly two years ago, was better in all aspects. The Gopro 6 got a bit better than the 5, but the Sony still has better image quality especially in action scenes thanks to the optical image stabilization. So quite obviously the cnet article was bought by Gopro, they don't even mention the Sony FDR X3000.

If Shoei or Schuberth would produce a helmet with an integrated camera, which price would you expect? I would estimate something like 50k THB. Would you be willing to pay it?

Here my personal solution on how to mount the camera at the helmet, it's smaller and easier to add / remove than most other solutions that i saw.

1.jpg.dd7423dbb553a6be3c7cabf5fe2acc4b.jpg

2.jpg.f66f699226a474b40cc921735d9a1d71.jpg

Consists of a piece of polycarbonate which i bent so it matches the angle of the helmet, a screw to connect the camera with the polycarbonate and "m3 dual lock" (like very strong velcro) to attach it to the helmet. I also added a security strap in case it should ever drop (didn't happen yet). Attaching this takes about 10 seconds, of which 9 are for fiddling with the security strap.

To get a longer recording time either attach it to a power bank in your pocket or use a long usb cable and a charger in a 12v plug if the bike has one.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Actually the best camera is the Sony FDR X3000. Came out when the Gopro 5 came out nearly two years ago, was better in all aspects. The Gopro 6 got a bit better than the 5, but the Sony still has better image quality especially in action scenes thanks to the optical image stabilization. So quite obviously the cnet article was bought by Gopro, they don't even mention the Sony FDR X3000.

If Shoei or Schuberth would produce a helmet with an integrated camera, which price would you expect? I would estimate something like 50k THB. Would you be willing to pay it?

Here my personal solution on how to mount the camera at the helmet, it's smaller and easier to add / remove than most other solutions that i saw.

1.jpg.dd7423dbb553a6be3c7cabf5fe2acc4b.jpg

2.jpg.f66f699226a474b40cc921735d9a1d71.jpg

Consists of a piece of polycarbonate which i bent so it matches the angle of the helmet, a screw to connect the camera with the polycarbonate and "m3 dual lock" (like very strong velcro) to attach it to the helmet. I also added a security strap in case it should ever drop (didn't happen yet). Attaching this takes about 10 seconds, of which 9 are for fiddling with the security strap.

To get a longer recording time either attach it to a power bank in your pocket or use a long usb cable and a charger in a 12v plug if the bike has one.

Yes that looks good but i want it all integrated and don't mind offering a helmet and camera for that. 

Also i read one gopro has wifi, so if i come home it connects automatic to my wifi and i can easy download the movie from the laptop? 

I think i'll test it all out first on an old helmet, with a flexible solar panel. Those can give enough power cause i read a gopro uses 5V 1amp for charging ,which isn't much at all.

Shoei or Schuberth could just prepare their helmets for a cam...just leave openings/holes for them so we can easy mount a cam in and connect it and change the whole system 2 years later. I'm sure those companies are dreaming of that and if it works on solar power that would be awesome.

Just look at the thai policehelmets, they also wear a gopro on top now. Schuberth also makes helmets for them and firemen..they should prepare all their models for quick-fit cams..then it won't cost much more.

I would use the Velcro mount solution.  Don't forget Micheal Schumacher is still in a coma because his ski helmet had been modified to accept a camera.

As for the local police? In Bangkok they all seem to have their own cameras now!  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I would use the Velcro mount solution.  Don't forget Micheal Schumacher is still in a coma because his ski helmet had been modified to accept a camera.

As for the local police? In Bangkok they all seem to have their own cameras now!  

He have been very clear he do not want to have any camera mount outside helmet, and as stealth as possible. So I guess we just have to follow up on him on that one. 

I know some extreme sport helmets do have some cind of solutions, but still add on outside helmet, but boxed in. 

I found a kicstarter project

https://rideapart.com/articles/iris-helmets-turns-kickstarter-helmet-camera-combo

On 6/12/2018 at 8:51 AM, Thian said:

Yes it has to be small, high quality, waterproof and can be glued in a small hole. I don't like to drive with closed visor, mostly i only use sunglasses. If i had a helmet without visor i could drill a hole and put it on top.

I just want to film what i see happening all days and maybe put it on youtube. And i need HD or so for that, good quality. Drones can do that, they have good cams.

How about a helmet with a peak, similar to an enduro or dual sport? Attach the lens to the peak and glue the ribbon and save damaging the helmet.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hummin said:

And here is the 2018 reviews on action cams from CNET. 

https://www.cnet.com/topics/video-cameras/best-video-cameras/

I own the latest GoPro, and the Sony FDR X3000 R but you can't beat Drift Ghost for all-round capability, robustness, quality standard vibration free brackets and a worry-free battery life, Drift wins hands down.  I still can't believe 3 years on since owning the Drift, GoPro or any other Action cam still can't get it right for bikers.

I use 3 Drift S as the GoPro is now shelved.  My Sony gets little use on the bike too.  Both are complete faffery in comparison.

Skydive, holidays or any other activity is a different matter.  

And if you want a no-frills action camera, Drift will soon release the Drift-X with 5 hours battery life(8hr with extender pack) and 128GB external.  Full 1080. 130 quid.

Edited by BBJ
  • Like 1