Signature campaign for convenience stores and malls to charge for plastic bags

webfact

Take a break ..... from every country I have stayed.. this is a money grab scheme. ..it all starts with whether we will collect money then how we collect the money and who collects the money? But it usually ends up with - Who does what with money collected? Who guards the money? 

A new new problem will arise - what happen to the money ..!!! ??

They should show vids of Rwanda several times a day on TV.  Rwanda banned plastic bags some years ago and followed by some other African nations.  Show the Thais that there are countries in Africa cleaner than Thailand.  That should give them some embarrassment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...and what alternatives are in place...???

...go shopping....how do you propose to carry your purchase home...???

Multiple use carriers. People adapt, it has worked elsewhere.

The aim is to reduce. If every Thai uses 8 single use bags a day, and that number becomes 2, it's a massive step forward.

59 minutes ago, 1337markus said:

The process starts with educating the check out person who seems so happy to wrap every small item in a plastic bag, what normally could fit into 2 bags you struggle to grip 7 bags as you leave the supermarket.

But remember the check out person is following orders.from the store owner and unless the customer insists no plastic bag the check out person wouldn't dare not follow orders from above.

Also  remember that plastic bags with printed logos are status symbols, Thais love others to see them with plastic bags with logos, even 7/11, it shows that you have money.

There is a new Organic Paper type of Plastic that is totally Biodegradable, like you can eat it, being made in Indonesia now .... though well, I do hope that you do not have to cut down the Rain Forest to make enough of them for us all to use ???

3 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...why don't you call it 'a petition'....???

...and what about the street food baggies that are discarded left and right...???

....seems there may be more of those being dumped than shopping bags anyway...

If  Prajuth would be smart he could make a great decision using his paragraph 44:

1. Mandatory use of linen or reusable shopping bags made from natural materials

2. Prohibiting straws and styrofoam as a biodegradable solution was invented by the Thammasat University years ago, using banana leaves and glucose. The problem they could not enter the market: They do cost 2 Baht a piece, whilst styrofoam just costs one Baht.

3. Fluids or soups can easily filled in steal bottles, which are reusable and available on the market already.

4. Street food can be packed in banana leaves, as this has been done for more than thousand years, see here

https://inhabitat.com/packaging-the-future-banana-leaves-as-natural-packaging/

5. Alternatively unbleached parchment paper can be used to wrap bread, and bags from wastepaper can be used to carry fruits and vegetables.

Today there is no excuse not to implement these changes, if we want to leave a halfway clean planet to our kids.

bottle.JPG

strohtasche.jpg

obsttuete.jpg

Edited by fxe1200
  • Sad 1

They do this in england and there is still a massive plastic problem in the sea. Just really complicated shopping up. When I went to the till in england after I paid they asked me if I wanted a bag

i said of coarse I want an <deleted> bag what you want me to do carry it out piece by piece. Then they added it to my bill 

the prices for the bags are already paid for and charged in the price of the goods

why need to pay extra 

just bull shine 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

We should not go this road which only serves to make the rich richer. 

A total ban on plastic and a move over to the Indonesian invention, biodegradeable cassava. Then charge as little as possible for the new alternative. Thailand would be hard pressed to do without some sort of bag; So provide the alternative. Cassava could turn out to be a free item also eventually or an item that could be taxed with an environmental tax whereby the money is used to clean the Klongs and beaches of Thailand and preserve aquatic wildlife. Paying for plastic bags will do little as it did not in Ireland. 20 cents per bag to make the rich richer but still have plastic everywhere. A "Charge on Change not more of the same".

• Thanks 1

The irony. My wife bought a pack of plastic bags, wrapped in plastic and placed in the shop's plastic bag. I repeatedly complain to my wife about the use of plastic bags used for nearly everything in the house. It will be very difficult to change the Thai's habits. Tiffin Tins for vendors foods. Your own cloth bags for goods. It's not too difficult. It just needs the will. Something sadly lacking here.?

Anything that involves money and the environment.

The money will win every time in Thailand.

maybe it will be 20 baht for a plastic bag next year and all bags from out side will be band in all shops nationwide, call me a synic. :stoner:

Ps, Could stop 50% of plastic waste buy large stores.

by getting staff , to only use one bag instead of going into auto pilot and using two each time, when not required. :jap:

Edited by stanleycoin

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Makro don't give plastic bags (or any type) for as long as I've been going there?

one can buy a big plastic carrier bag at Makro....cost last time i had some was 9 baht !!

Edited by essox essox
bad spelling

I don't really see why it's such a problem for places like Tesco or malls to just use biodegradable bags and still give them away for free at checkout, whilst at the same time just upping the price of all of their products slightly by 50 satang or 1 baht to cover the cost. If they spread the cost of it over everything they sold (from food to clothes to booze etc.) then most customers would probably hardly even notice. I mean, for example, say a tin of sandwich tune is like 41 baht, it wouldn't even register to me when I'm shopping if it went up to 42 baht...would still buy it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Go for total ban, why struggle with a step appraoch which will incur many problems, just go for the total ban, other countries have made it work.

Correct, just now in places all over the world, supermarkets are announcing that after a certain date they are no longer supplying plastic bag, bring your own or you are forced to buy a material type at a cost. Makes good sense, but we can train Monkeys to do things yet Humans are harder to train !!!!

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Give a rest dude. It's a good start. Now I'm waiting for the next poster to say.. But what about the road deaths.. And drink drivers.. And corruption blah blah 

So, what about all the road deaths, and drink driving and corruption? They are minor hiccups in the greater scheme of things. After all, plastic is killing the world. Then again, I don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing, while blowing in the wind.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...why don't you call it 'a petition'....???

...and what about the street food baggies that are discarded left and right...???

....seems there may be more of those being dumped than shopping bags anyway...

I bring my own bag. And a few extra plastic bags. I have a spare bag are in my car also. 

There are solutions if you take the time to answer your own questions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Makro don't give plastic bags (or any type) for as long as I've been going there?

Always been that way in the UK too. Aldi and Lidl also always charged for bags. 80+% reduction in plastic bag usage after Tesco et al forced to charge too. The same thing needs to happen here, but I do appreciate that the street vendor waste needs sorting out too.

6 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

Personally I'd rather walk around with a pair of the vicar's Y-fronts over my head

Can we arrange that? We can always do with some humour (in this case, at your expense).  :cheesy:

Nah, just joking.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Chassa said:

Ever buy meat at Makro? Yes! you get a plastic bag!

You can buy an insulated bag at Makro for about 38 Bt, great for carrying meat and freezer stuff home, and reusable too.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, BigC said:

They do this in england and there is still a massive plastic problem in the sea. Just really complicated shopping up. When I went to the till in england after I paid they asked me if I wanted a bag

i said of coarse I want an f ing bag what you want me to do carry it out piece by piece. Then they added it to my bill 

the prices for the bags are already paid for and charged in the price of the goods

why need to pay extra 

just bull shine 

Why would the UK's reduction in plastic waste all of a sudden fix the plastic problem in the oceans?

It's not BS.

You just don't understand the point.  They're encouraging you to bring your own, reusable bag.

By charging extra they are hoping you get all upset and next time bring your own <deleted> bag!

• Like 2

Every country needs a starting point to this plastic bag issue

in india they fined my coleague for still producing plastic bags big time/  plastic bag ban now

glad to see  that plastic  bags will be reduced .

• Like 1