Top Ten movies made in Thailand and Phuket

rooster59

By Tim Newton

bond_thailand_nick.jpg

In no particular order….

The Railway Man (2013)

A Colin Firth movie made partly in Thailand (also ‘Bridget Jones – The Edge of Reason’, 2004), ‘The Railway Man’ is a 2013 British–Australian war film directed by Jonathan Teplitzky. The movie also starred Nicole Kidman, Jeremy Irvine, and Stellan Skarsgård. The movie follows a tortured soul and his traumas as an ex-POW who was interred and tortured by Japanese troops in camps around the Thai Burmese border. He returns later in life to confront his demons.

From ‘The Telegraph’… “One of the most striking things about the terrain through which the “Death Railway” linking Thailand to Burma passed, is its extraordinary beauty. Much of the scenery is classically south-east Asian: lush and tropical, fringed with rugged, mountainous mystery. It is the stuff of travellers’ dreams. But as ‘The Railway Man’, the latest film to throw light on one of history’s darker chapters reveals, it is also the stuff of nightmares”.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/top-tens/top-ten-movies-made-thailand-phuket

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-06-16

The headline is plainly erroneous as many of the films mentioned were huge fails.

The Hangover 2, the Bond films, The Beach, Around the world in 80 days 2004, The Mechanic were all turkeys.

The criticism of The Impossible is grossly unfair as it was about one family's experience and it wasn't the film maker's responsibility to make it about more than them. Everyone knows lots of people died.

I'm surprised that they don't include Bangkok Dangerous with N Cage, seeing as they are including turkeys. Has to be the worst movie ever made with a foreign actor in LOS, IMO.

Many really great movies are made in LOS, like Nong Pee Tirak, and the Ong Bak series, but apparently they don't deserve a mention in this article. Bruce Lee made a few here as well- extremely popular movies.

However, Good morning Vietnam, thumbs up. A favourite movie of mine.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I liked 'Bad Genius' and 'Ong Bak', but nobody listed them.

What about 'Elephant White'

Only English language movies make by Hollywood seem to be mentioned.

Thank you for reminding me of Ong Bak. I am going to download them again. 

3 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

Thank you for reminding me of Ong Bak. I am going to download them again. 

Tom Yang Kung II is my favourite Thai film...but then I'm biased. My star martial art pupil has a role in that movie, Ha!

• Like 1

On 6/16/2018 at 3:40 PM, samsensam said:

I thought Phuket was in Thailand?

Yes, I thought it was.  If not I'm residing in the wrong country.

A lot of the movies being mentioned are filmed in thailand as opposed to "made in Thailand", they are not Thai movies or even about Thailand, using Thailand as the sets to make a movie about Cambodia or Vietnam.

As others have mentioned there are some great Thai movies, Ong Bak, the last executioner, etc. They make great comedies and romantic comedies, ATM Error, I Fine,...Thank you Love you, Bangkok Traffic (Love) Story, Teacher’s Diary.

Can learn a lot about Thailand watching the comedies, Thai sense of humour, Thais laughing at themselves. 

22 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Tom Yang Kung II is my favourite Thai film...but then I'm biased. My star martial art pupil has a role in that movie, Ha!

One and two are both good, you will find both movies were released under several different names in other countries. The Protector, Warrior King, Thai Dragon, Revenge of the Warrior.

Edited by Peterw42

Recently saw two in Thai language made by a farang producer Paul Spurrier who lives in Bangkok. They are definitely in my Top ten. Low budget , both are on Netflix

1 . "P"  orphan girl is taught the ways of magic by her grandmother. But when grandmother falls sick, Dau is lured to Bangkok to find work so that she can buy medicine. She finds herself working in a go-go bar, and her journey from naiveté to maturity is swift. She uses the magical skills her grandmother taught her to her advantage, but in doing so makes enemies within the bar. As her magic gets darker, and the consequences increasingly horrific, she gradually loses control, and something evil takes over.

2."The Forest" A new teacher arrives at a small village in rural Thailand. He has just left the monkhood and has taken a job at the local school in a quest to discover life outside the monastery. He finds that one of his pupils is a mute girl who is being bullied by the other children in the class. Both the teacher and the girl must face the challenges and cruelties of the real world. The girl retreats into a fantasy world, finding solace in the forest with a strange wild boy. The teacher struggles to bring her back, whilst at the same time himself questioning the world of reality. The worlds of fantasy and reality clash with tragic consequences.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Surprised no-one mentioned Street Fighter with Van Damme and Kylie. Probably the biggest budget flop made here to date.

Street Fighter was filmed mostly in Queensland, Australia along the famous Gold Coast during the second and third quarters of 1994 with most of the interiors and exteriors filmed on soundstages in Brisbane. Some exterior scenes were filmed in Bangkok. Cost 35 million to make and made 99 million, it wasn't really a flop