First convict executed in Thailand in nine years

webfact

Who gave the murderer the right to take the victims life?
He had no right to do so, and should be locked away for the rest if his life. The State killing him just makes two wrongs. Imagine if the death penalty were to be carried out on the Burmese two, convicted of the Koh Tao double murder. Would you applaud that?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, jayboy said:

The drugs war was a human rights disgrace and Thaksin bears prime responsibility.It was incompetently organised and ineffective.Many local scores were settled with little reference to the drugs trade.But the campaign had very wide support at the highest levels of the Thai establishment, with the military/police complicit.None of this makes Thaksin's actions excusable but the misery caused by drug traffickers destroyed countless families and lives.None of this is ever mentioned and the drugs war now serves as a way of making political capital but it's a slight surprise to find someone as intelligent as you playing that shopworn game.Incidentally the numbers you quote seem to be plucked out of the air.Unless substantiated (particular the number stated as having nothing to do with drugs) they are pretty much worthless.I really respect those who protested at the time but honesty compels one to concede they were very few - indeed a miniscule number.

"Of 2,500 deaths in the government's war on drugs in 2003, a fact-finding panel has found that more than half was not involved in drug at all. At a brainstorming session, a representative from the Office of Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) Tuesday disclosed that as many as 1,400 people were killed and labeled as drug suspects despite the fact that they had no link to drugs. ... Senior public prosecutor Kunlapon Ponlawan said it was not difficult to investigate extra-judicial killings carried out by police officers as the trigger-pullers usually confessed."

Quotes from Wikipedia:

"Most of those killed in war on drug not involved in drug" Archived 2008-02-01 at the Wayback Machine.. November 27, 2007. The Nation (an English-language newspaper in Thailand).[5]

Jump up^ "Southeast Asia: Most Killed in Thailand's 2003 Drug War Not Involved With Drugs, Panel Finds". November 30, 2007. Drug War Chronicle.

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

He had no right to do so, and should be locked away for the rest if his life. The State killing him just makes two wrongs. Imagine if the death penalty were to be carried out on the Burmese two, convicted of the Koh Tao double murder. Would you applaud that?

The Burmese 2 are most probably innocent though , they guy who  got executed was guilty

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Whataboutery once again.

The Burmese 2 are most probably innocent though , they guy who  got executed was guilty
Oh, so you just pick and choose. It's exactly because there are miscarriages of justice, that the death penalty cannot be justified. Innocent people have been executed in the U.S. (and in the U.K. before it abolished capital punishment) and it can certainly happen in Thailand.

15 pages of comments.  Maybe the Thai government should just take a poll of TV members as to whether they for or against the death penalty and let the members of TV set the guidelines.

For me it seems easy enough to argue the merits for or against but frankly if my loved one was brutally murdered,  I'd go for death by 1000 cuts. Think it all to easy to argue the point in taking a life as punishment but then most of us have never faced the brutal murder of a loved one.  

20 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I agree, for the 2 Burmese guys it's all dodgy suspect evidence, but not for this guy, virtually caught in the act and irrefutable evidence. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Oh, so you just pick and choose. It's exactly because there are miscarriages of justice, that the death penalty cannot be justified. Innocent people have been executed in the U.S. (and in the U.K. before it abolished capital punishment) and it can certainly happen in Thailand.

Yes it can happen, but not in this case - so the sentence is in accordance with the law to which there is no argument. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Innocent people should not avoid justice .

If they didnt do anything wrong , free to go

The murderers should be on death row (and we all know who they are )

Would you object  to the Koa Tao killers facing execution ?

There would be a few more felangs still alive , had the killers been bought to justice

5 minutes ago, naboo said:

Are they the killers? Do you trust the Thai justice system?

B2 No , second question, no 

We are talking about the OP

My answer to that is Yes

Seen the video , guilty as charged 

Edited by sanemax
addition
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Tofer said:

He took an innocent life and his was taken in return. I would say this was a perfect example of a correction in society.

I'd like to sit all you bleeding heart liberals down in a room with the victims family / dependants and watch you explain your principles in that environment.

So people opposed in principsl to the state taking the lives of its own citizens are 'bleeding heart liberals'?

I bet you're a lot of fun at parties - most popular guy in the room eh?

Good luck in life my friend, I've a feeling you'll be needing it.

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

So your saying he should have been put in jail as opposed to death for killing an innocent victim, i.e. stabbing him 24 times, who has the blood lust, not me obviously, but I believe the death penalty served him well, as did over 70 others also believed it served its purpose, i.e. they liked my 1st post on this topic, so I would say majority rules, as does the majority of Thai's feeling the punishment fits the crime if you read other reports 555

One knows you have a brain, I will leave that at that.

Dontcha just love people who start a response to something like 'So you're saying...' because you can usually bet that's not what you said at all.

I said what I said, friend, it doesn't need interpreting by you.

So 70 people agreed with you then? I suppose that means you must be right? And if 12 million Thais vote for Thaksin, that must mean he's right as well then?

Okaay.

And the majority of Thais have an IQ less than 90. I suppose that must be normal then? And Prayuth has more guns, so he must be right?

Methinks you have become to believe your own nonsenses, friend. People are people, not dogs, yet there's always those who prefer to act like they are.

Interesting choice of nom-de-plume that. I wonder what it means...

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Dontcha just love people who start a response to something like 'So you're saying...' because you can usually bet that's not what you said at all.

I said what I said, friend, it doesn't need interpreting by you.

So 70 people agreed with you then? I suppose that means you must be right? And if 12 million Thais vote for Thaksin, that must mean he's right as well then?

Okaay.

And the majority of Thais have an IQ less than 90. I suppose that must be normal then? And Prayuth has more guns, so he must be right?

Methinks you have become to believe your own nonsenses, friend. People are people, not dogs, yet there's always those who prefer to act like they are.

Interesting choice of nom-de-plume that. I wonder what it means...

You can remain in le deni, aucun probleme, chacun a son propre, but, regles de majorite, as I stated before, for some its easier to remain in le deni 555 Image result for cartoon picture of a french man

Edited by 4MyEgo

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

You can remain in le deni, aucun probleme, chacun a son propre, but, regles de majorite, as I stated before, for some its easier to remain in le deni 555

Indeed it is easier for some, though I doubt we'd agree who.

Still, it gave you a chance to tell eveyone you can speak some French, so it's not a complete waste. It's never a complete waste if you can imply an education with a few lines of doggerel.

There's bound to be some who are impressed by schoolboy French. I know a couple of Thais in our village who'd be *really* impressed. Good for your ego I imagine.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, naboo said:

And neither does the second.

But the second would not happen if the first didn't.

If you go out and wander the streets armed with a knife and looking for someone to steal from then you should expect to be punished. If you take a life by murdering someone else you should expect to have your life taken also.

In your posts that I have answered so far I cannot remember any sympathising with the victim. Please correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you go out and wander the streets armed with a knife and looking for someone to steal from then you should expect to be punished. If you take a life by murdering someone else you should expect to have your life taken also.

In your posts that I have answered so far I cannot remember any sympathising with the victim. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sympathy is an emotion, same as revenge, same as bloodlust.

Laws should be formulated using the brain, not the emotions. it is the brain (specifically the neo-cortex) which distinguishes us from the animals, we ought to use it or start learning how to speak chimpanzee or dog.

Edited by KiwiKiwi

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Which victim? The one who was murdered by the civilian, or the one murdered by the state.

If someone commits a crime, there should be consequences. The consequences should cover several goals. 1. Protect society from the criminal. 2. Take steps to ensure the criminal does not commit crime again. 3. Deter others from committing the crime. 4. Protect the criminal from revenge attacks by the victim or any other member of the public.

Re. Point 3. State executions offer no additional deterrent over life imprisonment.

Re. Point 4. A state execution is revenge by the public.

Life long imprisonment is a far greater punishment. Once you're dead, you're dead, punishment over. 40, 50, 60 years in jail with no chance of release is much more suffering than lethal injection. 

20 hours ago, EdyP said:

If Executions take place it cannot be called the department of corrections,. I dont support this as it does more harm than good .

I think in this case that's exactly what the department is.  They even used correction fluid.  I don't think the tape works in these cases.

59 minutes ago, naboo said:

Which victim? The one who was murdered by the civilian, or the one murdered by the state.

If someone commits a crime, there should be consequences. The consequences should cover several goals. 1. Protect society from the criminal. 2. Take steps to ensure the criminal does not commit crime again. 3. Deter others from committing the crime. 4. Protect the criminal from revenge attacks by the victim or any other member of the public.

Re. Point 3. State executions offer no additional deterrent over life imprisonment.

Re. Point 4. A state execution is revenge by the public.

Life long imprisonment is a far greater punishment. Once you're dead, you're dead, punishment over. 40, 50, 60 years in jail with no chance of release is much more suffering than lethal injection. 

I suppose in Thailand it would be more suffering to be in jail.  But then if you are in favour of that then you are more vindictive than those in favour of not allowing that suffering to happen.  I'm in favour of your second point and that is what has happened.  He will not murder another person.

14 hours ago, sanemax said:

Innocent people should not avoid justice .

If they didnt do anything wrong , free to go

The murderers should be on death row (and we all know who they are )

Would you object  to the Koa Tao killers facing execution ?

There would be a few more felangs still alive , had the killers been bought to justice

"...Would you object  to the Koa Tao killers facing execution ?"

Yes.

For one thing they were tried in a country without a credible legal system (a very weak rule of law in a country that I love all the same, I'm not a Thailand-basher).

It would be deemed an "unsafe" conviction in the UK (yes yes, I know we're not in the UK?). A retrial would probably be pointless, cos it would be under the same system.

Secondly, myself and many other people have very serious doubts as to their guilt.

That case is quite a cause-celebre in the West, and not just amongst "liberals". I firmly believe that if those 2 guys were executed, it would do untold damage to Thailand.

Edited by Andrew65

26 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

"...Would you object  to the Koa Tao killers facing execution ?"

Yes.

For one thing they were tried in a country without a credible legal system (a very weak rule of law, a country that I love all the same, I'm not a Thailand-basher). It would be deemed an "unsafe" conviction in the UK (yes yes, I know we're not in the UK?). A retrial would probably be pointless, cos it would be under the same system.

Secondly, myself and many other people have very serious doubts as to their guilt.

I was talking about the Ko Tao killers , not the Burmese guys in jail

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I was talking about the Ko Tao killers , not the Burmese guys in jail

OK, I was talking about the 2 Burmese. As I edited my comment to say, if those 2 were executed, I think there would be serious consequences for Thailand with regard to the response from Western countries.