First convict executed in Thailand in nine years

webfact

2 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

You clearly have never experienced a history course in this country. The old adage of ‘learn by your mistakes’ doesn’t (unfortunately) apply here. Rose tinted glasses are needed though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have misinterpreted my comment. I actually agree with your statement. I mean that history tends to repeat itself and thus as you point out the same bad decisions and evil actions are repeated.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, elwood said:

By the cringe, you are an arrogant piece of work.

I did not say Thai journos would not flock to an execution. The media attends such things because many of the public do want to know what goes on, in Thailand and other countries.

Every post I have seen from you manages to be a Thai-bash, but you claim that  you are only commenting on how the Thais behave. However, this is only as seen through your eyes, eyes that only find bad in anything they do.

Anyway, I am out of this topic and out of your daily prattling - better to be a simpleton than a tunnel-visioned hater, who only seemed to join this forum in order to spew your bitter viewpoints to a wider audience.

Try not to lapse into abuse, friend, you don't know me and you are not in a position to pass an opinion, plus it's against forum rules. Learn when what you have to say is useful and when it isn't, and try not to denigrate what you cannot understand.

See whatever you like through your own dismal set of eye-glasses, but please, don't trouble me further by commenting on my posts. I won't put you on my ignore list because if I do, I won't know if you manage to drag yourself kicking and screaming into the 21st century or not, but please spare me your simplistic political correctness. Go argue with someone who gives a damn.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, maximillian said:

The executed was only 20 when he killed.

Was it premediated murder ?  No. It wasn't. Was it murder at all ? It happened during a robbery, so it was rather manslaughter. What would the verdict be e.g.in Australia ?

Then why wait for 6 years to execute ?

I'm afraid some of the TVFmembers would also applaud at the execution of the two Burmese accused of murder in Koh Tao.

They don't have the DP in UK or Australia, but I think the premeditation factor (malice aforethought) for murder has changed under English common law, if you stab or beat someone and cause grievous bodily harm (GBH) and they subsequently die even though the intent might not have been to murder:

Intent

For the principal defendant, (see later for Joint Enterprise) the intent for murder is the intention to kill or cause grievous bodily harm (GBH), nothing less. Foresight is no more than evidence from which the jury may draw the inference of intent, c.f. R v Woollin [1999] 1 Cr App R 8 (HOL).

Attempted Murder

In contrast to the offence of murder, attempted murder requires the existence of an intention to kill, not merely to cause grievous bodily harm: R v Grimwood (1962) 3 All ER 285. The requisite intention to kill can be inferred by the circumstances: R v Walker and Hayles (1990) 90 Cr App R 226.

Edited by Andrew65

2 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"The department of corrections has announced that a murderer has been executed by lethal injection."

However, if his grandfather started Red Bull, he would be partying all over the world, thumbing his nose at the Thai legal system.

Or if his family were big wigs on Koh Tao.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tomta said:

I once saw two opinion polls which happened to be placed side by side in the BP or Nation . Nine or ten years ago. One was on capital punishment 70% or so supported it. The other was on whether the police framed people: 70% or so agreed that they did.

Cognitive dissonance on a massive scale.

And you thusly encapsulate the Thai problem in it's very essence.

IMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KiChakayan said:

He was carrying weapon during a robbery, hence it was armed robbery, which implies intent to harm or kill anyone who might get into his way.

Now as far as the death penalty is concerned?.. I don't know for sure...

And only 24 stab wounds, not really sure if he meant to harm anyone ?

But you're right about the death penalty, however I think it was justified but my concern and question is, why this guy - seems to be just out of the blue after such a long break and there are certainly others just as guilty and deserving. Of course hi-so's and other connected murderer's are exempt - that's a given and unchangeable. 

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Why the hell they didn't give those two idiots on the motorbike a year back that were fresh out of jail that stabbed that young student at a bus stop to death for his mobile phone, didn't get the death sentence is beyond me, no doubt some world type of pressure, i.e. human rights yiatta yiatta yiatta.

I hope Thailand has got big enough balls to stand up to the world and execute the lot when there is clear CCTV footage of it being a crime and not an accident, and when there is clear cut and dry evidence that adults rape people, especially children.

Go to straight to hell, all of them I say !!!

Yes, I agree, but only if they are caught in the act. and yes, on camera when there is no doubt about their guilt.

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Does anyone think a rich/connected defendant will get the death penalty?

Anyone?

Anyone?

C'mon, is there anyone who thinks a rich/connected defendant will get the death penalty in Thailand?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Capital punishment is used almost exclusively against poor people. And poor people do not get adequate representation in court, nor do they get the same justice as the rich. Finally, are you happy that the Thai justice system, with its world-renowned reputation for fairness and justice, can sentence people to death?

When, not if, the first innocent person goes down, what are you going to say?

I have already said only if the person is caught in the act, or on camera. If that is the case then yes, they should go down, surely that way no innocent person will go down.

3 hours ago, maximillian said:

Was it premediated murder ?  No. It wasn't. Was it murder at all ? It happened during a robbery, so it was rather manslaughter. What would the verdict be e.g.in Australia ?

I'm afraid some of the TVFmembers would also applaud at the execution of the two Burmese accused of murder in Koh Tao.

Your last paragraph. Definitely not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Now about these corrupt officials stealing money from the needy .....

China have been executing those for some time now. They were finding houses stuffed with cash, unbelievable. Don't think Thailand is quite ready, but it will come, it has to as with all countries that are developing. 

Personally I dont agree with the death penalty but that does not mean that i dont think these people should not be punished, they should be removed from society forever for sure, but killing I can't seem to get my head around it.

Just my opinion, 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

If that was the only reason, then his execution was pointless. 

All State executions are pointless.  Such a shame that Thailand has abandoned its moratorium and re-joined the less civilised nations of the world.  

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, gazmat said:

The timing of this is very strange given Prayuth's European visit starts tomorrow.  With the EU stance on the death penalty, he is opening himself up to more scrutiny and criticism than he will likely already face.  So, I find it hard to believe that he, or any of his NCPO comrades, would green-light the first execution in years at this point in time.  Which begs the question who did and why no advance notification of this policy shift?  

Also, if it is a one-off for deterrent purposes, why this particular inmate?  Or will more 'death row' inmates suffer the same fate from now on? 

This is Thailand. People in charge of different parts of the government, Immigration, Schools, Banks etc,etc.etc, make up their own rules. In some cases, even ordinary employees get in on the act also.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I see the junta supporters and Thaksin obsessives are thrapping themselves into a frenzy over their dear Uncle Prayuth deciding to start executions again.

And they (sometimes) say that life is not completely predictable.

2 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

He was carrying weapon during a robbery, hence it was armed robbery, which implies intent to harm or kill anyone who might get into his way.

Now as far as the death penalty is concerned?.. I don't know for sure...

Your first sentence. it should be treated as premeditated murder, nothing less.

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Why wait 6 years?

So the list drawn up by warders every week, of those eligible for execution can be circulated and give those on the list ample time fo bribe the warders to take their name out of the first xyz places.

Corruption rules, this is Thailand.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GAZZPA said:

I have seen data in the past (not sure where now) that the death penalty does not deter crime. After all nobody expects to get caught. The Norweigens seem to be on the right track with punishment and rehabilitation. Its a very difficult thing to get your head around when people get so emotional screaming things like "kill them all!". But if we know killing does not deter then must find another solution.

It takes level headed people with big trouser plums to make these kind of decisions...

If we are to develop then another way will have to found in my opinion.

I saw a good documentary a while ago where they (separately) interviewed two guys on death row in the States. They both said that when they went armed to the "liquor store" to rob it, the thought of either getting caught or shooting someone wasn't foremost in their minds, more the need for cash. I think they both got commuted to life.

I think in America, if someone commits a crime whilst carrying a firearm there's a 5 year mandatory sentence, 10 years if the firearm is discharged during a crime, even if no one is hurt or killed.

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Does anyone think a rich/connected defendant will get the death penalty?

Anyone?

Anyone?

C'mon, is there anyone who thinks a rich/connected defendant will get the death penalty in Thailand?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Capital punishment is used almost exclusively against poor people. And poor people do not get adequate representation in court, nor do they get the same justice as the rich. Finally, are you happy that the Thai justice system, with its world-renowned reputation for fairness and justice, can sentence people to death?

When, not if, the first innocent person goes down, what are you going to say?

I agree.

State killings are no good, don't bring less crime but make crimes more violent.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

And they (sometimes) say that life is not completely predictable.

30 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Ahh, but they have the death penalty!

• Like 1

When I saw this I thought hmm, a good opportunity to deliberate on the pros and cons of the death penalty, to balance the right to life versus the right to take a life, to debate the whole humanitarian complex issues surrounding this and then my toaster popped....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, maximillian said:

Quote: "The victim was stabbed 24 times."

You call that manslaughter? I get your drift about premeditation but that was plain murder.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KiwiKiwi said:

That's your view, and it's to be respected for that. But many governments do listen to them as a moral voice in a plentifully amoral world. I think their opinion trumps yours, but hey, that's democracy for you.

We are diametrically opposed on this subject.

As you say, that's democracy for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KiwiKiwi said:

I think I saw a while back that capital punishment in Thailand is approved of my the majority of Thais. It's not the oinly backward aspect of Thai culture by any means. Most civilised country's eschew capital punishment and rightly so.

Capital punishment was approved by a large majority of the UK population until very recently. 75% supported it in 1983 whilst in 2014 it had dropped to 48%.

56% of Americans support the death penalty for murder.