First convict executed in Thailand in nine years

webfact

7 hours ago, nausea said:

So they end the moriatorium that's been in place since 2009 just like that. A bit strange. I missed the debate that initiated this change in policy. Wonder who, exactly, decided this would be a good idea. And why did they choose this guy? Not saying his crime wasn't heinous but there must be a few on death row more deserving I would imagine.

He was 26 years old and only around 20 when he committed his crime. There have been dozens of heinous murders during that time and not one of them on the block. 

And not a word about it to the public before the execution. 

You are right, the true reason for the execution will reveal itself soon I suspect. The only thing I can think of is the b2 verdict is due soon. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

If that was the only reason, then his execution was pointless. 

It costs 49 THB a day to feed these prisoners and they are running out of money mid-year so we hear.  Gotta get rid of those 'condemned eaters' in order to make room for more yaba, ecstasy, and kratom users.  :whistling:

Edited by connda

7 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Good post. What brought about this policy change?

They don't do ethical debates about government policy here much if at all. And sincere ethical debating of government policy in general is usually reserved for countries which have passed through an Age of Enlightenment, respect the rule of law and have transparent and accountable processes.

There is not one country in the world with transparent and as accountable processes.

All authority is corrupt, it's human nature. If you doubt that, you need help.

Probably this killing is a political statement to show who has the power and is willing to use it. I wonder if the people, the Thai delegation will meet in Europe, are aware of this execution.

I hope the article "New report ranks Thailand as the world’s riskiest holiday destination" does not reflect to this article.

It is a matter of time and the death penalty will also given for jokes about watches.

The executed was only 20 when he killed.
Was it premediated murder ?  No. It wasn't. Was it murder at all ? It happened during a robbery, so it was rather manslaughter. What would the verdict be e.g.in Australia ?
Then why wait for 6 years to execute ?
I'm afraid some of the TVFmembers would also applaud at the execution of the two Burmese accused of murder in Koh Tao.
A lot of countries have the concept of felony murder. If someone dies during the course of a felony, it is considered murder regardless of the circumstances. So yes, it was murder.

The US have probably taken this to the extreme. There was a recent case where an officer shot someone in the middle of a felony. It was determined to be a valid shooting by the officer, but the accomplices were convicted of felony murder!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Why the hell they didn't give those two idiots on the motorbike a year back that were fresh out of jail that stabbed that young student at a bus stop to death for his mobile phone, didn't get the death sentence is beyond me, no doubt some world type of pressure, i.e. human rights yiatta yiatta yiatta.

I hope Thailand has got big enough balls to stand up to the world and execute the lot when there is clear CCTV footage of it being a crime and not an accident, and when there is clear cut and dry evidence that adults rape people, especially children.

Go to straight to hell, all of them I say !!!

I don't think it is as much human rights as money and the famous "wai" Thai's are really reluctant to take live by legal means but they will kill you on the street in a hong kong minute! the vets refuse to put pets out of their misery because of "buddha" but will kill for any perceived loss of face! such is thailand!

Multiple previous governments formed by different major parties had previously stopped this kind of thing.

Here we have a major change in policy by a non elected government. They've now made it clear they will do whatever they want.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

Good for you Thailand. Too many countries soft on murderers and child abusers.

Problem: Judicial killing is basically revenge, which does nothing for the victim. Jailing for life is expensive and useless. I prefer the old Sumerian custom: The murderer must work for the victim's survivors as a servant for life, getting only food and a place to sleep. He remembers his crime, pays back and spares the state expense. The Sumerians were very civilized. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

A lot of countries have the concept of felony murder. If someone dies during the course of a felony, it is considered murder regardless of the circumstances. So yes, it was murder.

The US have probably taken this to the extreme. There was a recent case where an officer shot someone in the middle of a felony. It was determined to be a valid shooting by the officer, but the accomplices were convicted of felony murder!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not sure why you consider an application of a law to be extreme. If the letter of the law applies the charge is levied. 

If executions were carried out regularly then this wouldn't be newsworthy.  It will produce more criticism and condemnation because of it breaking almost 10 years of an inactive death penalty.  Only this year there was some crowing about Thailand's status regarding the death penalty.

Abolitionist-in-practice countries (have not executed anyone during the last decade or more and are believed to have a policy or established practice of not carrying out executions)

They almost made it!!  Now what happens to the other 600 or so on death row?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Does anyone think a rich/connected defendant will get the death penalty?

Anyone?

Anyone?

C'mon, is there anyone who thinks a rich/connected defendant will get the death penalty in Thailand?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Capital punishment is used almost exclusively against poor people. And poor people do not get adequate representation in court, nor do they get the same justice as the rich. Finally, are you happy that the Thai justice system, with its world-renowned reputation for fairness and justice, can sentence people to death?

When, not if, the first innocent person goes down, what are you going to say?

Sorry, not convinced, put them down in the circumstances described, when clearly guilty 

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Anyone?

Anyone?

C'mon, is there anyone who thinks a rich/connected defendant will get the death penalty in Thailand?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Capital punishment is used almost exclusively against poor people. And poor people do not get adequate representation in court, nor do they get the same justice as the rich. Finally, are you happy that the Thai justice system, with its world-renowned reputation for fairness and justice, can sentence people to death?

First thing i will say is 'prove their innocence' beyond doubt; just like all the naysayers do when they chirp ' Their guilt wasn't proved beyond doubt' !

6 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

First thing i will say is 'prove their innocence' beyond doubt; just like all the naysayers do when they chirp ' Their guilt wasn't proved beyond doubt' !

I think you've missed the entire point of legal systems which have evolved over the past 500 or so years.

They have to prove someone guilty, innocence is (or should be) always presumed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

If that was the only reason, then his execution was pointless. 

And sad.  A political solution.

The wolf kills a sheep to keep the other sheep in line.  An archaic mindset in meeting out justice.  Others mention the multi tier system of justice.  Impunity for some and injustice for most.  I can only think of the phrase: Some people are more equal than others.   Has The Animal Farm or any criminal justice books published after the 1400's been translated into Thai ? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, maximillian said:

The executed was only 20 when he killed.

Was it premediated murder ?  No. It wasn't. Was it murder at all ? It happened during a robbery, so it was rather manslaughter. What would the verdict be e.g.in Australia ?

Then why wait for 6 years to execute ?

I'm afraid some of the TVFmembers would also applaud at the execution of the two Burmese accused of murder in Koh Tao.

I think there was a little premeditation involved. He didn't just bring the knife for his own protection.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Anyone?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Life is hard, always carry petroleum jelly!

An eye for an eye mentality equivalent to 5 year old thinking

Capital punishment is barbaric and should be a statistic from history

Try and deal with the causes and solve them

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Rath said that the corrections department hope that the execution will act as a deterrent showing that the country is still prepared to use the ultimate sanction.

It has nether happened in any other country...

Just look at America, the murders per capita is consistently less in the states without capital punishment.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates

8 hours ago, tomta said:

The BP does not have an empty "bed" like the Nation. It has the executee shown strapped down with a crowd around. It's pretty awful.

One incontrovertible argument against capital punishment. Humans are fallible. We get the sentences wrong sometimes. It is no good to argue that people should only be executed when it is absolutely clear that the accused is guilty. In the best and fairest justice systems (which Thailand is not), this is the standard "beyond reasonable doubt."

Anyone who argues for the retention of the death penalty clearly accepts that the death of a few innocent people here and there is of less importance than killing those we deem unworthy of life.

It is an argument but not one I would subscribe to.

Yes, even today the case of Ruth Ellis (UK) is still being debated. For me, Life is the most valuable property we possess and taking a life, by any means, is wrong (no religious connotation). If someone premeditates murder then there is very little, if anything at all, that will act as a deterrent. If the act is not premeditated then it becomes manslaughter (I think?). The other point is that I also think that in deliberate murder perhaps prolonged hardship and pain in prison is more useful as a deterrent. I do realise though that this is a highly emotional and controversial topic and the only solution to the problem is to prevent murders...guess that will never happen. 

There is a great Thai movie from a couple of years ago , The Last Executioner (Thai title :Petchakat). All about he guy that used to do the shooting executions, the switch to injections, looks at a lot of the issues being discussed. On PB.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2442670/?ref_=nv_sr_5

• Like 1