First convict executed in Thailand in nine years

webfact

On 6/19/2018 at 8:52 AM, robblok said:

That depends on who they kill.. if the person is a lot more rich influential then yes. 

But I do get your drift. 

On 6/19/2018 at 8:52 AM, robblok said:

That depends on who they kill.. if the person is a lot more rich influential then yes. 

But I do get your drift. 

Hi Rob, you're Dutch arent't you. Read 1 or 2 books from respected int.law lawyer Mr. Geert Jan Knoops. Also active for the Innocence Project. Like the Bonaire case and / or Deepwater Horizon case (Petronius Mystery). Thailand is just the country where the judicial system is so fragile and vulnerable that lethal executions are not a good idea. For a golden necklace one gets an 'objective' witness. Killing a cop with a Ferrari is okay. Only dogs and the poor get injections.

19 hours ago, Siripon said:

"Of 2,500 deaths in the government's war on drugs in 2003, a fact-finding panel has found that more than half was not involved in drug at all. At a brainstorming session, a representative from the Office of Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) Tuesday disclosed that as many as 1,400 people were killed and labeled as drug suspects despite the fact that they had no link to drugs. ... Senior public prosecutor Kunlapon Ponlawan said it was not difficult to investigate extra-judicial killings carried out by police officers as the trigger-pullers usually confessed."

Quotes from Wikipedia:

"Most of those killed in war on drug not involved in drug" Archived 2008-02-01 at the Wayback Machine.. November 27, 2007. The Nation (an English-language newspaper in Thailand).[5]

Jump up^ "Southeast Asia: Most Killed in Thailand's 2003 Drug War Not Involved With Drugs, Panel Finds". November 30, 2007. Drug War Chronicle.

I don't particularly want to get into disputing numbers because it suggests I'm soft on the horrors of Thaksin's drugs war - which I'm not.

Nevertheless I question the very large number of "innocents" involved.Wikipedia is a lousy source but I found the Human Rights Watch report on line (or at least an summary).Here's an extract

"In August 2007, the military-installed government of General Surayud Chalanont appointed a special committee to investigate the extrajudicial killings during the 2003 war on drugs. The committee's report - which has never been made public - said that of 2,819 people killed between February and April 2003, more than 1400 were unrelated to drug dealing or had no apparent reason for their killings. Human Rights Watch, ‘Thailand: Prosecute Anti-Drugs Police Identified in Abuses,' February 7, 2008."

So the 1400 number comes from a military government that overthrew Thaksin and as we know was determined to blacken him.Furthermore the report has never been published.For all I know the number is correct but it's not evidence.It's hearsay from a dubious source - "parti pris" as the lawyers say.

If the report has indeed been published and signed off as credible by HRW etc I would obviously take a different view.

But hey it's only Thaksin so we can say any old rubbish we like, right?

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

I don't particularly want to get into disputing numbers because it suggests I'm soft on the horrors of Thaksin's drugs war - which I'm not.

Nevertheless I question the very large number of "innocents" involved.Wikipedia is a lousy source but I found the Human Rights Watch report on line (or at least an summary).Here's an extract

"In August 2007, the military-installed government of General Surayud Chalanont appointed a special committee to investigate the extrajudicial killings during the 2003 war on drugs. The committee's report - which has never been made public - said that of 2,819 people killed between February and April 2003, more than 1400 were unrelated to drug dealing or had no apparent reason for their killings. Human Rights Watch, ‘Thailand: Prosecute Anti-Drugs Police Identified in Abuses,' February 7, 2008."

So the 1400 number comes from a military government that overthrew Thaksin and as we know was determined to blacken him.Furthermore the report has never been published.For all I know the number is correct but it's not evidence.It's hearsay from a dubious source - "parti pris" as the lawyers say.

If the report has indeed been published and signed off as credible by HRW etc I would obviously take a different view.

Lets for argument say the number is more or less correct, of the others it would be fair to say that the majority weren't at a level of supply or dealing justifying assassination while the big players who should have been targeted were sitting back having a few drinks and a laugh with the enforcing agents and possibly even assisting with pointing the finger at some of their opposition. But hey it is Thailand and it's not what you know but who you know when it comes to avoiding trouble. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Artisi said:

Lets for argument say the number is more or less correct, of the others it would be fair to say that the majority weren't at a level of supply or dealing justifying assassination while the big players who should have been targeted were sitting back having a few drinks and a laugh with the enforcing agents and possibly even assisting with pointing the finger at some of their opposition. But hey it is Thailand and it's not what you know but who you know when it comes to avoiding trouble. 

Difficult to disagree with what you say.Still it would be interesting to see that unpublished government report commissioned by Surayud.

8 hours ago, jayboy said:

No doubt you're read the enclosed report jayboy.

.https://www.hrw.org/reports/2004/thailand0704/4.htm

17 hours ago, Gerrit2561 said:

Hi Rob, you're Dutch arent't you. Read 1 or 2 books from respected int.law lawyer Mr. Geert Jan Knoops. Also active for the Innocence Project. Like the Bonaire case and / or Deepwater Horizon case (Petronius Mystery). Thailand is just the country where the judicial system is so fragile and vulnerable that lethal executions are not a good idea. For a golden necklace one gets an 'objective' witness. Killing a cop with a Ferrari is okay. Only dogs and the poor get injections.

Never said I trusted Thai justice on the death penalty, as I said before even the USA makes mistakes there. So a country like Thailand is far more likely to get it wrong.

I think you don't live in Thailand or have pets, because otherwise you would know its almost impossible to get an injection to end your dogs life. Believe me i tried for my suffering dog years ago.

11 hours ago, robblok said:

Never said I trusted Thai justice on the death penalty, as I said before even the USA makes mistakes there. So a country like Thailand is far more likely to get it wrong.

I think you don't live in Thailand or have pets, because otherwise you would know its almost impossible to get an injection to end your dogs life. Believe me i tried for my suffering dog years ago.

You conclude and attempt to patronize too quickly. I do live in Thailand and it depends on the province. In my area dogs get loaded into trucks and slaughtered for food processing.

22 hours ago, robblok said:

I'm guessing your dog didn't kill anyone.

11 hours ago, Gerrit2561 said:

You conclude and attempt to patronize too quickly. I do live in Thailand and it depends on the province. In my area dogs get loaded into trucks and slaughtered for food processing.

That is a different story from trying to get a dog put down. Maybe you should read the pet section about the trouble members have in finding someone to put down a dog so I came to a reasonable conclusion. 

59 minutes ago, AboutThaim said:

I'm guessing your dog didn't kill anyone.

No she did not.. just terminally ill and I had to watch her die a prolonged death because I could not find anyone to put her down.

I can understand the capital punishment objectors reasoning in respect of potential miscarriages of justice. However, and correct me if I've misunderstood the reports, but it appears there was no question in this case, as I understand he was identified from CCTV footage.

I Just feel there should be a bit more sympathy and consideration for the victim, his family and friends than for the perpetrator.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2018 at 3:21 AM, maximillian said:

The executed was only 20 when he killed.

Was it premediated murder ?  No. It wasn't. Was it murder at all ? It happened during a robbery, so it was rather manslaughter. What would the verdict be e.g.in Australia ?

Then why wait for 6 years to execute ?

I'm afraid some of the TVFmembers would also applaud at the execution of the two Burmese accused of murder in Koh Tao.

He 'accidentally' stabbed him 24 times so it is obviously manslaughter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannork said:

No-one has the right to take another persons life!  you say. But that's precisely what the murderer did, and thus he forfeits the right to his own life.

It makes the state no better than the murderer. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Shame on you Thailand! No-one has the right to take another persons life! So much for Buddhist ideology where all life is sacred!

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Does that apply to the murderer who took the innocent victims life also?

2 hours ago, bannork said:

I disagree. The state is killing a murderer.

The murderer killed an innocent man.

I agree with you.

5 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

So much for Buddhist ideology where all life is sacred!

Not much of that to go around in Thailand.

But loads of lucky numbers, Amulets and lottery tickets for sale. :jap:

Edited by stanleycoin