help avoiding conversations ?

poanoi

for some reason, thais keep on starting conversations with me,

whether i just walk by or buy their food,

and i havnt found a decent way to block the inquiries.

is there any not so rude way to block conversations

either from starting in the first place,

or at least stop them dead in the track within a minute ?

as far as i know i dont look at them, and i dont smile,

i do not invite any form is socializing as far as i am aware

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

Respond in Spanish and they will give up.

i think you are onto something:

i have been ordering in thai and respond in thai,

-and that may cause the conversations to start.

problem is, how do i order without speaking thai since

they are monolingual ?

16 minutes ago, poanoi said:

i think you are onto something:

i have been ordering in thai and respond in thai,

-and that may cause the conversations to start.

problem is, how do i order without speaking thai since

they are monolingual ?

Tell them you poot Thai nit noi.

Not sure if you're a man or a lady (checked profile but didn't help) or if the "Thais" you refer to are male or female, or both ....for myself, if I want to avoided conversation (with all in sundry)  I just avoid making eye contact.

15 hours ago, poanoi said:

for some reason, thais keep on starting conversations with me

or at least stop them dead in the track within a minute ?

as far as i know i dont look at them, and i dont smile,

Jesus wept, wear a burkha.

Yesterday I saw a farang walking up and down a busy soi in Udon Thani and every dog on the street came up to him wagging their tail as if he was their long lost master. Wherever I walk that they all want to attack me. They say that dogs can tell when people are friendly towards them and not afraid of them, and they are attracted to that person. This guy was a true "dog whisperer". Maybe you are a "human whisperer" at heart and just don't realize it. You should count yourself blessed! I have been in Thailand for 8 years and no Thai stranger dares to talk to me for some reason. Maybe they can smell that I don't like them. I'd say you have a special calling, so try your best to engage in these conversations and see where they lead. Maybe the Lord wants you to be a blessing to these people or He is trying to send you a friend! Extreme loneliness could be in your future and He's preparing a way of comfort for you through these new relationships. If you don't like the way things are going, then walk away. You have nothing to lose and perhaps a lot to gain.

I have to assume that these Thais wanting to speak to the OP are not hot young females.  Otherwise, he wouldn't have started a thread to complain about it.  My advice:  Don't sweat the small stuff and this is about as small as it gets. 

I don't mind any Thai approaching me for a conversation as long as they can speak English, have a good tidy appearance, no sign of alcohol, and it is in a public place, ie, a bus station.

What I will not tolerate, is any stranger approaching me for a conversation when I am eating, they will then be told immediately "go away" in Thai.

17 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I was told by my Thai friends just say, sounds to me like "chip high" don't know what means though. ? 

That's an expression to get in to trouble on the fast lane.. (one of the words you definitely shouldn't use when you don't know their meanings). Or do you want explain the OP how to avoid a discussion by starting a fight?

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I don't mind any Thai approaching me for a conversation as long as they can speak English, have a good tidy appearance, no sign of alcohol, and it is in a public place, ie, a bus station.

What I will not tolerate, is any stranger approaching me for a conversation when I am eating, they will then be told immediately "go away" in Thai.

You may have one ploblem with this bloke then.....?

waiter.jpg.b8a4037837be0c41bc8329c62f948401.jpg

Archived