Trump backs down, orders end to family separations at U.S. border

webfact

On 6/21/2018 at 1:49 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

He can’t get away with caging kids!

No child should be caged, and we need to fix this problem.
I ask this...was it ok for the Obama Administration to do the same thing?

Mistakes have been made by many on both sides of the issue, I feel it is time to quit the blaming and demand our elected officials take credible action to solve the problem and cease the obstruction of efforts to move forward.

This photo is from 2014 during the Obama Administration.

Caged Children 2014.jpg

On 6/21/2018 at 11:04 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

Your question assumes we agree that ‘illegal immigrantion’ is a significant problem.

I take the view demonizing immigrants has lead directly to children caged in concentration camps.

Unless an American is a direct descendent of a  First Nation family and only of a First Nation family then it is almost certain their forefathers arrived in America either as an immigrant looking for a better life or as a slave.

The American Dream, freedom, a chance to work for a better life.

That’s what’s drawing immigrants to the US.

I trust you are not wanting to join those who wish to restrict the American dream to those immigrants who arrived first?!

The very presence of this current crisis, along with the very disparate viewpoints on how to handle the crisis clearly indicates that 'Illegal Immigration' is a problem.  The immigration system in the USA is seriously broken with politicians and past Presidents doing much to avoid significant reform for decades.

As a man who has travelled to over 50 countries for my work, and held work permits in 4 countries, and now on a Retirement Visa in Thailand, I understand and support the right of a sovereign nation to control its borders and determine who shall be allowed to enter. I do not support an Open Border policy and believe illegal immigration into the United States can harm the communities they settle in by over-whelming the local resources, and creates unacceptable risks, (rape, robbery, murder etc) for those traveling through other countries to illegally enter the USA. Furthermore, the system in place to traffic humans to the USA also allows for increased trafficking of drugs, and acts of terror.

As California born American citizen, I openly support a multi-tiered legal immigration system, that includes but not limited to:

1. A Guest Worker program that increases the number of guest workers, but is not a direct path to citizenship, and requires all family members traveling with the guest worker or born in the USA while the worker under the guest worker program to return to their home country, (I do understand this would mean changing how the courts interpret the 14th Amendment, or revising the Amendment)

2. An immigrant quota system that includes:
- Guest workers who apply for permanent residency
- Workers with specific talents or expertise and whose presence in the US would not take jobs from qualified American workers. The current H1-B program is a mess and needs serious reform.
- People from the general population of all nations that wish to immigrate to the USA for any legal purpose regardless of economic or social status.
-DACA: Path to Citizenship for the group of illegal immigrants commonly referred to as 'Dreamers'.
( I personally have 2 friends that were brought to the USA as small children without documentation and I believe they deserve a level of compassion and opportunity to stay in the only country they truly know)

3. Strongly enforced illegal immigration policies, that would call for prompt court hearings and repatriation to the home country of those found to have entered illegally. Unaccompanied minors or those attempting to enter with persons who cannot be confirmed as their parent or legal guardian is a special case and one that I am conflicted on how to address.
Allowing unaccompanied minors legal entry could open the doors to increased child dumping at the borders, and could cause serious damage to the children being dumped, (I have seen the results of child dumping first hand while working in Romania after the collapse of the Soviet Union). Alternatively, if there were a program to place these children in permanent homes and adopted into a new family, that might be a reasonable solution.

Yes, I agree the United States is a nation of immigrants and support continued immigration into the United States.
My first wife is a naturalized US citizen who left her native Colombia to work in the USA as a medical professional. I met her in Miami about 2 years after she became a US citizen. Something she worked very hard to make it happen, and had to make serious sacrifices in regards to family connections at home. Furthermore, approximately 30% of my extended family is Latino and/or First Nation (Miwok), and I am well aware of the concerns of how the USA was populated by Europeans and the damage done to the Native Americans.

As previously stated, the system is broken... The actions of the Trump administration to detain and then separate families is not acceptable, though to be fair, I must also include that this was also happening under the Obama administration. Our elected officials, (Democrat, Republican and others) need to take credible action to reform the immigration system with a program that allows for humane treatment of illegal immigrants prior to repatriation while securing the border as demanded by the Constitution.

I do feel President Trump's executive order to not separate families, and give them priority for immigration hearings is a solid first step and would like to see credible action by Congress and the courts to solve this problem.

Mistakes have been made by many parties and both sides of the aisle in regards to immigration policy and I would call for the end to partisan politics and get the job done.

10 minutes ago, balo said:

I wonder what Trump will be remembered for 100 years from now ? Maybe his stupidity.

Donald J. Trump IV will be telling us his ancestor was President for 16 years.

I'm not seeing a Trump Memorial, maybe a few Trump High Schools in Alabama?

Even a Trump Library sounds like an oxymoron.

Edited by mtls2005

On 6/21/2018 at 10:56 AM, xylophone said:

There follows a very interesting article from the NZ Herald newspaper...………please read it.

"The greatness of a country can be measured by the manner in which it provides for the most vulnerable among its people, especially the children born into poverty.

When it comes to those who request asylum of a country — safety from persecution — there exists a special obligation recognised under international law, to treat such claimants and their families with particular discretion.

Instead of following international norms and the better parts of its own history, US President Trump has ordered the detention of refugee asylum seekers arriving at its Mexican border, criminally charging them for illegal entry, and separating them from their children. Since May 2500 children have been removed from parents.

The legitimacy of asylum claims can be open to question. However, these immigrants subject to family separation are not economic migrants, nor, unlike in Europe, are they a threat of returned ISIS fighters.

They're not coming directly from Mexico, which has seen a net negative migration since 2014. Rather, these families are coming from Central America, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, where they're trying to escape social disorder and drug-related gang violence.
The governments of those countries bear ultimate responsibility for the chaos, but the United States has also made a significant contribution.

The over-zealous anti-communism of Kissinger along with Ronald Reagan permitted the atrocities of the 1980s and the conversion of drug thug "Contras" into saintly "freedom fighters" in the spirit of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".

Those "friends" have forced ordinary citizens to flee their home countries, and — along with their children, — trek 1000 miles of Mexico in the hope of safety in "the promised land", Reagan's "City On A Hill."

Trump, sensing a coming firestorm of disapproval, seeks to reassure his flock by claiming falsely that he is the victim of policies created by Democrats.

In fact, he could end this disgrace with a few strokes of his shark's teeth signature.

Meantime, he is enabled by his Attorney General, Jeff Sessions, who unashamedly chooses the biblical verse Romans:13, 1-7 to defend obedience to authority and thus rationalise the inhumanity of the policy with a Pauline doctrine often used in the past to defend slavery.

The actual architect of this evil is Trump's senior political adviser, Stephen Miller.
Miller, who also authored the first Muslim ban, wrote the "Zero Tolerance" policy that authorises Sessions' agents to arrest and detain asylum seekers for their illegal entry, contrary to international law.

The parents' detention leaves the children "unaccompanied aliens" and subject to removal to foster care or wherever. It's designed to deter asylum seekers.

As if insufficient ironies exist herein, Stephen Miller is the grandson of Jews who fled persecution in Tsarist Russia to come to the US in the early 20th century. Those forbears would be turning over in their graves at this travesty of justice coming from their descendant's hand.

The moral imperative posed by the barbarism of Trump's family separation policy is clear cut. Some major religious groups are meeting it by their condemnation.

The US Council of Catholic Bishops has strongly urged reversal of the policy as has the Reform Jewish Confederation. Even some evangelicals like Trump supporter Franklin Graham, have spoken out against it. Significantly silent have been those right-wing groups, Catholic and protestant, calling themselves Right-to-Life or Family Research Council, or Focus On Family.

These latter groups, staunchly anti-abortion and anti-gay rights have appropriated the words "family values" to lend credence to their causes. Those words ring hollow in the present crisis".

I agree that legitimate asylum seekers have the expectation to not be detained and treated in a humane manner. I have not seen the reports as to why these individuals were treated as illegal immigrants and not asylum seekers.

Do you have any direct references or reports as to what happened?

Having traveled & worked throughout Central America while providing support services to a variety of humanitarian based NGO's, I have witnessed the conditions many people live in on a daily basis in the barrios of San Pedro Sula, Tegucigalpa, Managua others. It is a terrible situation that the local people and governments must do more to combat while other countries such as the United States should assist those seeking asylum, and continue to provide aid and assistance to these countries. I am not blind to the damage the United States has done to other countries in the name of democracy, but have also witnessed first hand the good Americans in general have done in this region, whether it be through the efforts of the Federal Government, NGO's or the efforts of individual citizens. It will take the combined efforts of many to solve the situation.

Part of the problem is the huge corruption culture that exists throughout the region and many people accepting it will never change. I do believe these countries can change, with both increased safety and improved economic futures. An example of this would be Colombia, a country that 25-30 years ago was widely considered unsafe for travel and dangerous for its citizens due to the narco-terrorist driven civil war, and the drug cartels. Today is a safe place to visit with a relatively healthy economy.
This changes did not come overnight and was largely the result of the Colombian people demanding change, the efforts of former President Uribe and the assistance of concerned nations such as the United States.

I believe the same can happen in Central America but it will take a serious effort by all stakeholders and the compassion of others to assist those in greatest need. To be successful, the local people will need to stand together for the greater good and demand change... This is the path that many successful nations have taken and if we remember events such as the collapse of the Soviet Union, it is my belief it can happen in Central America.

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

An idiotic policy is our government moving unaccompanied minor children around the United States under cover of darkness. That sounds like human trafficking to me.

The crazy bit about this is that after American Airlines told them they would not transport the kids on their airlines, they transported another batch of kids, and lied to the airlines. Promised them that these kids were not kids being separated from their parents, and they only found out once they landed. The whole thing is shady. 

It is shockingly difficult for immigration attorneys to locate children separated from their parents at the border. Today I spoke to lawyers who represent more than 400 parents. They've located two children.

If these kids are never matched up to their parents, Trump, Miller, Nielsen need to be held personally responsible for it.

1 hour ago, Wanderer555 said:

No child should be caged, and we need to fix this problem.
I ask this...was it ok for the Obama Administration to do the same thing?

I agree with the general sentiment of no child should be caged. But this has become a conservative talking point but it's a false equivalency. That's not to say that Obama doesn't deserved criticism for it either, but they aren't at all the same thing.

Politifact covered this earlier in the week: http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2018/jun/19/matt-schlapp/no-donald-trumps-separation-immigrant-families-was/

And their conclusion was:

Obama’s immigration policy specifically sought to avoid breaking up families. While some children were separated from their parents under Obama, this was relatively rare, and occurred at a far lower rate than under Trump, where the practice flows from a zero tolerance approach to illegal border-crossings.

Edited by jcsmith
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jcsmith said:

I agree with the general sentiment of no child should be caged. But this has become a conservative talking point but it's a false equivalency. That's not to say that Obama doesn't deserved criticism for it either, but they aren't at all the same thing.

Politifact covered this earlier in the week: http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2018/jun/19/matt-schlapp/no-donald-trumps-separation-immigrant-families-was/

I understand your point and agree that they are most likely not equal. I posted the picture to draw attention to the fact this is not a new problem, nor unique to the Trump Administration. 

Ironically this image was used by some media outlets to condemn Trump while ignoring their duty as journalists to research the origin of the image. Had they done this, they would have realized it was indeed from the Obama era.

As an independent, I try to take a balanced approach to things and believe there is plenty of blame to go around concerning problem, and hope that our country can somehow step away from Partisan Politics and develop a sensible Immigration Policy.
Cheers

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Wanderer555 said:

I understand your point and agree that they are most likely not equal. I posted the picture to draw attention to the fact this is not a new problem, nor unique to the Trump Administration. 

Ironically this image was used by some media outlets to condemn Trump while ignoring their duty as journalists to research the origin of the image. Had they done this, they would have realized it was indeed from the Obama era.

As an independent, I try to take a balanced approach to things and believe there is plenty of blame to go around concerning problem, and hope that our country can somehow step away from Partisan Politics and develop a sensible Immigration Policy.
Cheers

Sorry, but somebody saying 'this also happened under Obama' is not taking a balanced approach. Your earlier posts here, also saying 'this is not new' say the same.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Sorry, but somebody saying 'this also happened under Obama' is not taking a balanced approach. Your earlier posts here, also saying 'this is not new' say the same.

Please explain the logic behind your reply. ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Wanderer555 said:

Please explain the logic behind your reply. ?

This happened under Obama by exception, under Trump by rule.

Equaling those 2 proves you're not taking a balanced approach.

• Thanks 2

Just as Trump and his shrills try to deflect and confuse this issue, Avenatti steps in with a Tweet:

”We are now representing whistleblowers within ICE, outside contractors, etc. They have reached out to us to provide us with info as to what is really going on. We are going to blow this wide open and take the info  to the American people so they can decide what happens next.”

Get your popcorn!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bristolboy said:

It's a failure not a disaster. Hyperbole much?

The highest estimate I have seen of the number of undocumented immigrants living in the USA is about 15,000,000. That's out of a population of roughly 350,000,000. Most of them are gainfully enployed Lots of them actually help support social security since they are working with a false ID and without hope of ever being repaid. And they pay sales taxes and such, too. And spend money here. They overwhelmingly contribute to the economy. So where's the disaster?

Sure, the problem isn’t with immigrants. The problem is with entering illegally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

No.

An idiotic policy is our government moving unaccompanied minor children around the United States under cover of darkness. That sounds like human trafficking to me.

An idiotic policy is incarcerating children, in "detention centers" run by private contractors who probably made the lowest bid. Or paid off someone to win the contract.

An idiotic policy is using military lawyers (JAGs) to prosecute foreigners seeking asylum in the United States.

An idiotic policy is one where you enforce certain crimes with a "Zero Tolerance", but others, meh.

In other news...

Western District to drop charges against immigrants separated from children, email says

“Be advised that the US Attorney's Office will move (or have already moved) to dismiss all 1325 and 1326 cases where children were separated from their parent,” Franco wrote. “Going forward, they will no longer bring criminal charges against a parent or parents entering the United States if they have their child with them.”

Title 8 of U.S. Code 1325 and 1326 assigns misdemeanor charges for illegal entry and felony charges for illegal re-entry into the country.

Franco also says that Bash told her “until or unless he is countermanded this will be the policy of the Western District of Texas.”

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/immigration/2018/06/21/charges-dropped-against-immigrants-separated-children-email-says/723253002/

That is not a trump policy, he is only enforcing the law as he promised to do in his campaign. Trump has a choice, prosecute illegal imigration or let them continue to come in. What did you really expect? If there is a law that needs to be fixed then congress needs to fix it. That’s how government works. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jcsmith said:

The big problem is that they have been intentionally slowing down access at the border to the point that they are not allowing asylum seekers in. People who have traveled long distances and then get turned away at the border without even hearing their case. Then they cross illegally and become criminals. They are in a desperate situation and the U.S. is legally obligated to listen to their case.

This would be the equivalent of making a law informing people they can only eat food from Tops Supermarket. And when they showed up to Tops Supermarket to buy food telling them that tops is full and they can not come in. Then prosecuting starving people who stole a piece of bread or shopped elsewhere.

Except it’s not a new law. The US currently has a backlog of 600,000 applicants. So many want to go to the US but most of the applicants do not qualify.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jcsmith said:

And then the Flores agreement passed and Obama’s had to stop keeping families together. His solution was not to prosecute families and basically let anyone with children enter illegally. That was catch and release. 

3 hours ago, jcsmith said:

The crazy bit about this is that after American Airlines told them they would not transport the kids on their airlines, they transported another batch of kids, and lied to the airlines. Promised them that these kids were not kids being separated from their parents, and they only found out once they landed. The whole thing is shady. 

If these kids are never matched up to their parents, Trump, Miller, Nielsen need to be held personally responsible for it.

Incorrect. Hundreds have already been reunited. You really shouldn’t just make things up. 

5 hours ago, Wanderer555 said:

The very presence of this current crisis, along with the very disparate viewpoints on how to handle the crisis clearly indicates that 'Illegal Immigration' is a problem.  The immigration system in the USA is seriously broken with politicians and past Presidents doing much to avoid significant reform for decades.

As a man who has travelled to over 50 countries for my work, and held work permits in 4 countries, and now on a Retirement Visa in Thailand, I understand and support the right of a sovereign nation to control its borders and determine who shall be allowed to enter. I do not support an Open Border policy and believe illegal immigration into the United States can harm the communities they settle in by over-whelming the local resources, and creates unacceptable risks, (rape, robbery, murder etc) for those traveling through other countries to illegally enter the USA. Furthermore, the system in place to traffic humans to the USA also allows for increased trafficking of drugs, and acts of terror.

As California born American citizen, I openly support a multi-tiered legal immigration system, that includes but not limited to:

1. A Guest Worker program that increases the number of guest workers, but is not a direct path to citizenship, and requires all family members traveling with the guest worker or born in the USA while the worker under the guest worker program to return to their home country, (I do understand this would mean changing how the courts interpret the 14th Amendment, or revising the Amendment)

2. An immigrant quota system that includes:
- Guest workers who apply for permanent residency
- Workers with specific talents or expertise and whose presence in the US would not take jobs from qualified American workers. The current H1-B program is a mess and needs serious reform.
- People from the general population of all nations that wish to immigrate to the USA for any legal purpose regardless of economic or social status.
-DACA: Path to Citizenship for the group of illegal immigrants commonly referred to as 'Dreamers'.
( I personally have 2 friends that were brought to the USA as small children without documentation and I believe they deserve a level of compassion and opportunity to stay in the only country they truly know)

3. Strongly enforced illegal immigration policies, that would call for prompt court hearings and repatriation to the home country of those found to have entered illegally. Unaccompanied minors or those attempting to enter with persons who cannot be confirmed as their parent or legal guardian is a special case and one that I am conflicted on how to address.
Allowing unaccompanied minors legal entry could open the doors to increased child dumping at the borders, and could cause serious damage to the children being dumped, (I have seen the results of child dumping first hand while working in Romania after the collapse of the Soviet Union). Alternatively, if there were a program to place these children in permanent homes and adopted into a new family, that might be a reasonable solution.

Yes, I agree the United States is a nation of immigrants and support continued immigration into the United States.
My first wife is a naturalized US citizen who left her native Colombia to work in the USA as a medical professional. I met her in Miami about 2 years after she became a US citizen. Something she worked very hard to make it happen, and had to make serious sacrifices in regards to family connections at home. Furthermore, approximately 30% of my extended family is Latino and/or First Nation (Miwok), and I am well aware of the concerns of how the USA was populated by Europeans and the damage done to the Native Americans.

As previously stated, the system is broken... The actions of the Trump administration to detain and then separate families is not acceptable, though to be fair, I must also include that this was also happening under the Obama administration. Our elected officials, (Democrat, Republican and others) need to take credible action to reform the immigration system with a program that allows for humane treatment of illegal immigrants prior to repatriation while securing the border as demanded by the Constitution.

I do feel President Trump's executive order to not separate families, and give them priority for immigration hearings is a solid first step and would like to see credible action by Congress and the courts to solve this problem.

Mistakes have been made by many parties and both sides of the aisle in regards to immigration policy and I would call for the end to partisan politics and get the job done.

The fact that so many people are now calling this a "crisis" is a testimony to how effective Trump's gaslighting has been. Why is this situation a crisis? The USA has had millions of undocumented immigrants coming and going for decades. What's the threat?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

A lot of people are getting their information from news sources like this. It’s no wonder there is so much confusion. Did anyone actually listen to the video of Secretary Nielsen that I posted? It explains a lot.

167C648E-7055-46C6-9493-366191C4AF4A.jpeg

Edited by bushdoctor
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

The fact that so many people are now calling this a "crisis" is a testimony to how effective Trump's gaslighting has been. Why is this situation a crisis? The USA has had millions of undocumented immigrants coming and going for decades. What's the threat?

Again, it’s not immigrants that are the focus. It’s the illegal immigrants. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, bushdoctor said:

Incorrect. Hundreds have already been reunited. You really shouldn’t just make things up. 

Most haven't. You really should stop trying to MISLEAD people.

Even though federal officials have stopped separating illegal border crossers from their children, many youths removed from migrant parents remain in shelters and foster homes. The government has done little to help with reunions, attorneys say, prompting a frantic effort to find the youths.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Most haven't. You really should stop trying to MISLEAD people.

I’m trying to be respectful but what you said was wrong, and what I said is completely accurate. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bushdoctor said:

I’m trying to be respectful but what you said was wrong, and what I said is completely accurate. 

I hope your next reincarnation will be in Guatemala or Southern Soudan.

Then we will talk again.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, bushdoctor said:

Again, it’s not immigrants that are the focus. It’s the illegal immigrants. 

Incorrect. According to the law, those seeking asylum from persecution are not illegal immigrants. It is the manoeuvering by the present administration that first ratcheted up the penalties to try to make misdemeanors into felonies and then to abrogate their longstanding agreements with respect to human rights to criminalize the act of seeking refuge. To seek asylum is a human right according to the agreements entered into (and mostly written by) the United States. The current administration disagrees with these rights, but rather than fight that fight publicly, they've instead resorted to sophistry and manipulation of the application of the laws to achieve their ends. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Incorrect. According to the law, those seeking asylum from persecution are not illegal immigrants. It is the manoeuvering by the present administration that first ratcheted up the penalties to try to make misdemeanors into felonies and then to abrogate their longstanding agreements with respect to human rights to criminalize the act of seeking refuge. To seek asylum is a human right according to the agreements entered into (and mostly written by) the United States. The current administration disagrees with these rights, but rather than fight that fight publicly, they've instead resorted to sophistry and manipulation of the application of the laws to achieve their ends. 

Nope, it’s entering the country illegally that’s the problem, it’s a crime.  Applying for asylum is fine. 

Trump nor anyone else has nmade misdemeanors into felonies. 

Edited by bushdoctor
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bushdoctor said:

Nope, it’s entering the country illegally that’s the problem, it’s a crime.  Applying for asylum is fine. 

Is it a crime to not want to die from starvation or disease? To want a better future for your children? To want to live a happy life that ALL humans are entitled to, not just the lucky ones?

• Haha 1

Just now, oldhippy said:

Is it a crime to not want to die from starvation or disease? To want a better future for your children? To want to live a happy life that ALL humans are entitled to, not just the lucky ones?

Of course not. A better question might be are any of those things grounds for asylum. They are not. So if that bothers you I understand, but the thing to do is change the law, not endlessly complain about those who enforce it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

But why is it a crisis? What danger undocumented immigrants posing now that they haven't in the past?

It was a problem in the past, in fact that’s one of the main reasons we see Trump as president today. 

• Like 1