Video: Easier than going to a shoe shop! Thai's steal tourist's shoes at Wat Doi Suthep

webfact

well... who woulda' thought!!

Sole Searching, at a temple

I reckon those sneakers in the video were no better than a pair of Dunlop deck shoes...

Dime a dozen -  but hey! the Chinese will upsell anything!

I tend to try to stow my shoes in the most out-of-way place I can find (under the shoe rack if the bottom shelf is raised from the ground, behind a planter next to the shoe rack, etc.)... it might not do much good but who knows.  With my shoes, my bicyle or anything, I try not to be the lowest-hanging fruit, especially if it's the case where my shoes are the nicest on the rack among a bunch of 50-baht market sandals.

1 minute ago, connda said:

"Let's go for a family outing to Wat Doi Suthep, make merit, and by making merit we can then steal the shoes of foreigners without incurring bad Karma.  I'm sure Buddha said it was 'Ok'!  Heck, they're just foreigners and probably not good Buddhists like our family.  Even Wat Doi Suthep charges foreigners to enter because only Thais are good Buddhists!  So being a Thai family, why shouldn't we charge these foreigners to come see our national treasures too.  Soooo, the cost for this Chinese tourist is one pair of sports shoes freely given to a good Thai family!"

Am I correct in assuming you graduated in Thai Logic 101 with a BA (Hons)?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Katia said:

I tend to try to stow my shoes in the most out-of-way place I can find (under the shoe rack if the bottom shelf is raised from the ground, behind a planter next to the shoe rack, etc.)... it might not do much good but who knows.  With my shoes, my bicyle or anything, I try not to be the lowest-hanging fruit, especially if it's the case where my shoes are the nicest on the rack among a bunch of 50-baht market sandals.

If going somewhere where I need to take off my shoes, I make sure I'm wearing my old, worn Gambols and I also stash them where most people don't.  The average Thai will drop their shoes at, or more aptly, on the door.  I just stash my shoes further away than most Thais would be willing to walk.  Plus if they steal mine, on their little feet it would give the term 'Flip-Flop' a real meaning.  :laugh:

Edited by connda

7 hours ago, DoctorG said:

A Frenchman stole my flip-flops from outside my guesthouse in Cambodia. Stupid idiot returned a few days later and I saw him wearing them. Took them back and told him that he was lower than doggy doo.

What was his name ? Filip de flop ?

1 hour ago, connda said:

If going somewhere where I need to take off my shoes, I make sure I'm wearing my old, worn Gambols and I also stash them where most people don't.  The average Thai will drop their shoes at, or more aptly, on the door.  I just stash my shoes further away than most Thais would be willing to walk.  Plus if they steal mine, on their little feet it would give the term 'Flip-Flop' a real meaning.  :laugh:

Usually when I'm at a temple or similar, I'm also walking a lot, so wearing crappy shoes is a no-go because I need to be able to walk for miles in them comfortably (my Teva sandals).

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I had my shoes stolen at the beach in Hua Hin.

a new pair of bright green sneakers.

but they only cost 350 baht.

Now I keep my 3500 baht Merrell sneakers on no matter what I am doing.:cheesy:  

I never enjoy having sex with my shoes on.

14 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I never have that fear, a local could fit two of their little feet in one of my shoes.

And it's a good thing you have never had that problem. I had to replace a pair of shoes unexpectedly in Chiang Mai on one occasion. Size 42 was just not to be found.

58 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

In an update of the news item, it was reported that the family was actually from Myanmar... ?

The family who had the shoes stolen, or the thieves family?

Is there a link to this update please?

On 6/22/2018 at 9:25 AM, sweatalot said:

So what do we see here?

Thais damaging the reputation of Thailand

Thais have an exemplary reputation in my experience. Then again I am well mannered and respect the citizens of the country that kindly allow me to reside there.

More thieves in england and us than there are in thailand. Of course as in every tourist destination there will be chancers. No different in bali, hong kong, london, cancun etc etc...should you be willing to open your eyes and ears. Big ask for many who have already made up their minds 

Never once been burgled in thailand nor have wife's family. Never been shortchanged. Safer to walk the streets.

Edited by Expatthailover

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

The family who had the shoes stolen, or the thieves family?

Is there a link to this update please?

It was an ironic remark, as foreigners from neighbouring countries are often blamed for thefts. (Didn't you see the 'silly' smiley??)

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

More thieves in england and us than there are in thailand. Of course as in every tourist destination there will be chancers.

Partly true. In 20+ years in Europe I was only once the victim of theft (Balkans!), a few things (mostly wallet, traveller's cheques, bag on the beach) in 13 years in Thailand, but many things within a short time-span in China (where they really steal anything they can carry away).

Edited by StayinThailand2much

On 6/21/2018 at 10:13 PM, NCC1701A said:

I had my shoes stolen at the beach in Hua Hin.

a new pair of bright green sneakers.

but they only cost 350 baht.

Now I keep my 3500 baht Merrell sneakers on no matter what I am doing.:cheesy:  

I came only with my beat up Keens--would have them resoled..I came back with brand new Keens but never wore them as I suspected this would happen..I sold the new pair for $100 but got them 50% off from Keen after writing them and sending pics of my beat up Keens and how they went all over the world with me....I also have a pair of Merrells..got them at goodwill for $7!

13 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Partly true. In 20+ years in Europe I was only once the victim of theft (Balkans!), a few things (mostly wallet, traveller's cheques, bag on the beach) in 13 years in Thailand, but many things within a short time-span in China (where they really steal anything they can carry away).

After 6 yrs in Thai, I always considered trying China, but your story gives me pause, and reminds me of the table signs at MAYA food court about stealing the silverware and written in chinese!

16 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Thais have an exemplary reputation in my experience. Then again I am well mannered and respect the citizens of the country that kindly allow me to reside there.

More thieves in england and us than there are in thailand. Of course as in every tourist destination there will be chancers. No different in bali, hong kong, london, cancun etc etc...should you be willing to open your eyes and ears. Big ask for many who have already made up their minds 

Never once been burgled in thailand nor have wife's family. Never been shortchanged. Safer to walk the streets.

Wish I could say the same--lets see--stolen in LOS--2 phones-money-and my beloved honda dream mbike, as I remember asking my thai friend at police station what the brown envelope was for that the BIB handed me...

I was told it was for a "Donation"..I said find it first and THEN I will donate...never got it back....I dont recall disrespecting anyone either when these items were stolen....parents raised me to be well mannered too....lucky u.

On 6/22/2018 at 1:37 PM, neeray said:

And it's a good thing you have never had that problem. I had to replace a pair of shoes unexpectedly in Chiang Mai on one occasion. Size 42 was just not to be found.

Im a 44 and its a bit of a search but can be had..best bet is Tesco-Big C, or digging deep at the 2nd hand shop too