Got into a accident, what should I do?

Saklo

The driver wants to find out how much he can get cash out of your pocket for the damage. He will never paint the cat. 

If the damage is really small, he won’t take it to police anyway( in my opinion).

Perhaps he will call you with some estimate idea. To avoid trouble, you either pay the estimate or if it sounds too much refuse it and counter offer it. 

Get some kind of receipt if you pay him in cash. 

...seems like you did the worse thing possible...

...he smelled....fear...guilt....and maybe foreigner....???

...I expect he will try to make you pay through the nose....

...bicycle....15-20-year old vehicle...and just a scratch...or smudge....did you even check....???

...you invited the guy to make you pay for a paint job...

...and whatever else needs to be repaired on his jalopy...???

...good luck...

1 hour ago, ivor bigun said:

Damn those Hells Cyclists.i just bet you were wearing a leather jacket and lycra shortsemoji34.png

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...seems like you did the worse thing possible...

...he smelled....fear...guilt....and maybe foreigner....???

...I expect he will try to make you pay through the nose....

...bicycle....15-20-year old vehicle...and just a scratch...or smudge....did you even check....???

...you invited the guy to make you pay for a paint job...

...and whatever else needs to be repaired on his jalopy...???

...good luck...

just wearing normal Jacket and yeah lycra shorts haha, i also wear Helmet  all times.

Again since i return to Thailand with my parents i never had a accident.

What i always fear is when Motorbikes come from the opposite directions and they drive like idiots.

Last Night at highway (Khon kaen University) at 2 AM(its when i go out and bike a bit like 30 km), a stupid taxi came the opposite way  just to get to a Hotel.

A bit Crazy here lol

My  Bike(Optima MOSTRO 6870  in Red)is quiet exotic haha, i think you would know even if you don't know anything  about bike that's is expensive.

Paid 119000 Baht  (Got it 2 months ago) + Upgrade.

BTW he called me and said it will cost 6000 - 8000 Baht. Its that a lot or normal in Khon Kaen?

It will take him to do it in 2-3 Days. Its quiet slow right?

Should i ask him for a bill? Or will he be offended? I heard something like thai People don't like to loose face :).

I told my Dad (not my Mom, dont ask me why....), and he said to pay and learn from it.

I think if i told my mom what happend she would tell him to go to hell ?

4 hours ago, digger70 said:

Change phone number so he can't call you,,, if he hasn't got you're address and rego number,,,   

He didn't ask me for any ID, just my Phone number.

Edited by Saklo

The cost of mounting a camera on your bike or helmet is considerably cheaper than the figure quoted by this greedy opportunist. Was the incident caught on CCTV?

No cctv, accident happened on the KasikornThungsang road near kungsri bank. It’s very much traffic on the time when school is finish. 15-18 o’clock. 

It’s where the market, Thai people call it บ้านดอน, it’s always pack with cars that park in on the road and motorbikes that cone from other direction instead going on the right lane.

That day I those kids where a bit to quick that’s all, I was a bit surprised(I said to myself I fxxx) I break full and tried to avoid hitting them. By that I just scratch the old Honda, I think you just see a line from my handle that mark his Honda. You could say 15 cm.

Yeah i have a camera but didn’t have it with me, I Usally take that with me when I go on a long trip with friends.

12 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:
Tell your Mom ...

Guess why I don’t tell my mom haha, she worries that i will get hit by the truck lol. I been biking for over 15 years and never had a accident which in any way got myself hurt or someone else.

She tells me story like Thai people after accident they even come back and roll over you to make sure you dead. They don’t want to pay for the victim the rest of their live. That’s how they avoid it and drive off. Sounds crazy right? Well I keep telling my mom that I be careful ? and she keeps telling me to drive the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Edited by Saklo

55 minutes ago, Saklo said:

just wearing normal Jacket and yeah lycra shorts haha, i also wear Helmet  all times.

Again since i return to Thailand with my parents i never had a accident.

What i always fear is when Motorbikes come from the opposite directions and they drive like idiots.

Last Night at highway (Khon kaen University) at 2 AM(its when i go out and bike a bit like 30 km), a stupid taxi came the opposite way  just to get to a Hotel.

A bit Crazy here lol

My  Bike(Optima MOSTRO 6870  in Red)is quiet exotic haha, i think you would know even if you don't know anything  about bike that's is expensive.

Paid 119000 Baht  (Got it 2 months ago) + Upgrade.

BTW he called me and said it will cost 6000 - 8000 Baht. Its that a lot or normal in Khon Kaen?

It will take him to do it in 2-3 Days. Its quiet slow right?

Should i ask him for a bill? Or will he be offended? I heard something like thai People don't like to loose face :).

I told my Dad (not my Mom, dont ask me why....), and he said to pay and learn from it.

I think if i told my mom what happend she would tell him to go to hell ?

He didn't ask me for any ID, just my Phone number.

A bill, why? He has damage and wants compensation, but is under no obligation to actually repair.

6,000 sounds high though, offer him 2,000, and if he doesn't like it, tough shit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

A bill, why? He has damage and wants compensation, but is under no obligation to actually repair.

6,000 sounds high though, offer him 2,000, and if he doesn't like it, tough shit.

What you mean why? If he doesnt want to repair the scratch why should he ask me for money?

I don't mind Paying if he shows me the Bill for the Paint job.

10 hours ago, Saklo said:

What you mean why? If he doesnt want to repair the scratch why should he ask me for money?

No your responsible for the damage, so if the damage is estimated at 2000 you should pay 2000 but he does not have to repair. Its just you caused damages for 2000 bt. I find the amount of 6000-8000 quite high especially for an older car.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Saklo said:

In practice, you are offering him compensation for the damage done to his vehicle. It is his choice then whether he wants to continue driving the damaged vehicle or repair it. It really is none of your concern.

The simple truth is 6000 baht is too much. You need to negotiate lower. Forget about receipts and bills. Go to a local paint shop. Pay one of the employees a few hundred baht to go with you and inspect his vehicle and see what an experienced body shop worker estimates the damage is. Then offer that amount.

BTW, don't worry about the "face" thing. This is a negotiation. Thais do it all the time. The trick is to know how to negotiate. I would tell him that I know someone who can do a great job for less, and then give him the "gift" of an introduction. If you don't think you are up to the challenge, find an older, male Thai who commands respect and ask him to negotiate on your behalf. Watch how he handles the situation. Don't get hung up on the legal worries. This is a simple transaction. Get the lowest price you can.

Edited by Monomial
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Monomial said:

In practice, you are offering him compensation for the damage done to his vehicle. It is his choice then whether he wants to continue driving the damaged vehicle or repair it. It really is none of your concern.

The simple truth is 6000 baht is too much. You need to negotiate lower. Forget about receipts and bills. Go to a local paint shop. Pay one of the employees a few hundred baht to go with you and inspect his vehicle and see what an experienced body shop worker estimates the damage is. Then offer that amount.

BTW, don't worry about the "face" thing. This is a negotiation. Thais do it all the time. The trick is to know how to negotiate. I would tell him that I know someone who can do a great job for less, and then give him the "gift" of an introduction. If you don't think you are up to the challenge, find an older, male Thai who commands respect and ask him to negotiate on your behalf. Watch how he handles the situation. Don't get hung up on the legal worries. This is a simple transaction. Get the lowest price you can.

31 minutes ago, Monomial said:

6000 baht is absurd.

Offer him 1000 and if he doesn't accept tell him you would like to take the car to get a second opinion at a repair shop of your choice.

53 minutes ago, robblok said:

No your responsible for the damage, so if the damage is estimated at 2000 you should pay 2000 but he does not have to repair. Its just you caused damages for 2000 bt. I find the amount of 6000-8000 quite high especially for an older car.

Thing can be close....I let my mother handle it.  
She argued with him  ? ,  said that he doesn't have any driving License(we ask a friend of the family that works in the Police department).

At the end no need to pay. Thanks anyway again to all that gave me advise(i will carry a camera on my helmet in the future, learned my lesson)

2 minutes ago, Saklo said:

She argued with him  ? ,  said that he doesn't have any driving License(we ask a friend of the family that works in the Police department).

At the end no need to pay. Thanks anyway again to all that gave me advise(i will carry a camera on my helmet in the future, learned my lesson)

You drive into a car, have the decency to pay up and don't look at excuses like: he didn't have his light on, he doesn't have a drivers license. why should he be out of pocket because of you.   Then it is your task to find the kids who caused you to run into the car and let their parents pay you. Your camera on your helmet will still prove you damaged the car.  

8 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You drive into a car, have the decency to pay up and don't look at excuses like: he didn't have his light on, he doesn't have a drivers license. why should he be out of pocket because of you.   Then it is your task to find the kids who caused you to run into the car and let their parents pay you. Your camera on your helmet will still prove you damaged the car.  

I offered him 2000 baht, he wouldn't take it, saying that it will cost him 6000 baht.  He said its a price where he can repair with a friend garage, would cost more if he go somewhere else(8000 baht).

When i mentioned that i can bring him to a paint shop that would do all his spots(not just my scratch) for about 2000 - 3000 baht, he still didn't take it.

Then i said we can let the Police handle it, then He started to get nasty.

He called me a rich farang kid, saying that i should feel ashamed of myself for being Thai  and cant speak Thai probably, should go back to my dads country and so on.....(worst was he called my mom a whore so No i will not take it)

Didn't feel like taking to him anymore, so i let my mom talk to him.

Anyway things is finish now anyway

Edited by Saklo

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:12 PM, Saklo said:

No I didn’t ride quick as it was rush hour(time 16:50), I hit a normal 15/20 year old Honda Civic. The damage was in the ride side, it’s just a scratch where you can see my bike front wheel mark. Again nothing serious just a little numb and scratch. Yeah I avoided hitting the children motorbike which came on the opposite direction.  The car was parking their and the driver was sitting inside without putting his light on. It’s not even allowed to park their , that spot police like to lock down cars that park their and the owner goes shopping for 20 mins or so in the market.  

Can I get into trouble with the police? I am Thai myself, dad is American. Been living in the states all my life.

i do have a Thai ID and passport on me. What surprise me was he didn’t ask for it just my phone number. He said he will go to the shop and phone me the bill so I can pay it. Didn’t want to call the police, I suggested that( that’s what I would do in the US or Europe).  I heard Thai laws are a bit different.

One has to expect motorbikes on the wrong side of the road, so it's probably your fault for not taking precautions for such. Not fair, or legal even, but if you caused the accident you own it. You can't expect the car owner to pay for something you did. Who leaves parking lights on in LOS anyway?

17 hours ago, Saklo said:

I offered him 2000 baht, he wouldn't take it, saying that it will cost him 6000 baht.  He said its a price where he can repair with a friend garage, would cost more if he go somewhere else(8000 baht).

When i mentioned that i can bring him to a paint shop that would do all his spots(not just my scratch) for about 2000 - 3000 baht, he still didn't take it.

Then i said we can let the Police handle it, then He started to get nasty.

He called me a rich farang kid, saying that i should feel ashamed of myself for being Thai  and cant speak Thai probably, should go back to my dads country and so on.....(worst was he called my mom a whore so No i will not take it)

Didn't feel like taking to him anymore, so i let my mom talk to him.

Anyway things is finish now anyway

Although you got away with this one, if happens again, pay the people that paint the car direct; don't give the money to the car owner. Sounds like he was scamming if his "friends" paint shop was costing more than a different place. He might have been sharing the expected proceeds with them.

21 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You drive into a car, have the decency to pay up and don't look at excuses like: he didn't have his light on, he doesn't have a drivers license. why should he be out of pocket because of you.  

There is no disputing that the OP did accidentally hit the car with his push bike, however, I do have an issue with your last statement, as put very simply the car should not have been where it was, the owner has no driving license, so by default has no insurance, meaning he cannot put that car on a road.

What would have happened if the roles were reversed and the car driver hit the cyclist, ruining the bike and injuring the cyclist, would the uninsured driver have paid up because it was morally right????

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

There is no disputing that the OP did accidentally hit the car with his push bike, however, I do have an issue with your last statement, as put very simply the car should not have been where it was, the owner has no driving license, so by default has no insurance, meaning he cannot put that car on a road.

What would have happened if the roles were reversed and the car driver hit the cyclist, ruining the bike and injuring the cyclist, would the uninsured driver have paid up because it was morally right????

I what Thai law does it state the car can not be on a road without insurance?

6 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

I what Thai law does it state the car can not be on a road without insurance?

The Road Accident Victims Protection Act BE2535 (1992) states specifically that all motor vehicles must have the CPTL insurance if on a public road.

However, this is not the point, IMO you are basically saying that it is OK for a person to be driving a vehicle on a public road whilst having no license to drive this vehicle, I am disagreeing, if you have ever been involved in an accident where the driver is unlicensed and uninsured, then you would likely agree with me, my son was hit by a car driven by a uninsured / unlicensed driver, end result was a very badly broken Femur bone with me out of pocket over 500k THB, nothing happened to the driver, who is no doubt still driving around.

14 minutes ago, Mattd said:

The Road Accident Victims Protection Act BE2535 (1992) states specifically that all motor vehicles must have the CPTL insurance if on a public road.

However, this is not the point, IMO you are basically saying that it is OK for a person to be driving a vehicle on a public road whilst having no license to drive this vehicle, I am disagreeing, if you have ever been involved in an accident where the driver is unlicensed and uninsured, then you would likely agree with me, my son was hit by a car driven by a uninsured / unlicensed driver, end result was a very badly broken Femur bone with me out of pocket over 500k THB, nothing happened to the driver, who is no doubt still driving around.

I am not saying that someone should be driving without a license, strongly against it, but it doesn't mean you can damage someone's property and refuse to pay.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 10:49 AM, Saklo said:

Well done and good result.

If your bike is as expensive as you claim, make sure you have good insurance. I would be a bit upset if I had one that got lifted by some Somchai who flipped if for 2000 baht to feed his habit.

On 6/24/2018 at 10:55 AM, FritsSikkink said:

Oh lighten up willya? It's a kid on a pushbike so chances are any damage will buff-out and not need to see a body shop. As I see it, the illegally parked, uninsured and unlicensed clown with the gall to claim 6 or 8 k for 'damage' needs stitching up. If the bugger had been off the road like he should have been, the prang would likely never have happened.

36 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

I am not saying that someone should be driving without a license, strongly against it, but it doesn't mean you can damage someone's property and refuse to pay.

Sorry, but in this instance with a totally illegal car and driver on the road, all claims are null and void. If someone tried to pull that sh!t with me... and opined that my mum was a hooker, I'd happily call the cops... after calling my insurance company first.

Edited by NanLaew