Sizzlers salad bar

Rc2702

5 hours ago, stephenterry said:

I've eaten the salad there a few times. Found out the so called 'vegetarian soups' , even the cream of mushroom one, are made with f**king chicken stock. Albeit it is Sizzlers but surely they could get away from meat soup additives for Buddha's sake, e.g. add mushroom stock cubes?

I was also ill after one session - it painfully blocked me up for three days. I now go for a large plate of cheddar cheese, and a touch of chopped tomato/onion, a slice of red pepper, and a couple of green beans - and order the jacket potato. Very filling combo, washed down with topped up glasses of soda water.

Mountains of chedder cheese, a few veg and a jacket spud is bound to bung you up.

22 hours ago, gamini said:

The Salad bar is good value for money but I don't think they Wash the greens properly. We often had stomach problems after, so We don't eat there any more.

the old adage of if you can't peel it,  probably still applies ,  who would think   salad could kill someone .......

https://www.livescience.com/8253-washing-lettuce-rid-bacteria.html

30 minutes ago, Dick Crank said:

I was walking down a side soi and looked into an open window there was a guy eating soup in the nude and masturbating he just stared at me and I kept walking saying nothing, how would bond have handled this?

Sent Miss Moneypenny over to help him out.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2018 at 2:09 PM, Mac98 said:

I always did salad bar only in States as it included chicken legs and wings, and had spaghetti with two kinds of sauce. What are you supposed to put on that spaghetti here? Mushroom soup? 

True, spagetti for what . And soup choices are pathetic, Sizzler USA is a real salad bar with many options 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dick Crank said:

I was walking down a side soi and looked into an open window there was a guy eating soup in the nude and masturbating he just stared at me and I kept walking saying nothing, how would bond have handled this?

Shaken not stirred ?

On 6/23/2018 at 10:17 AM, whaleboneman said:

I don't eat at Sizzler but my gf wanted to try it. She ordered a chicken breast. You could cut it with a fork. She had a bite and insisted i try it as she didn't believe it was chicken. I tried a small bite - no idea what they did to that chicken but I'm pretty sure it wasn't natural. She's never asked to go back.

many cooked "chicken breast" that we eat every day are not pure chicken. I saw a short documentary where they compared chicken from 3 fast food joints. Subway had the lowest percentage of real chicken meat in their chicken products. McDonald's was even better. Also, I'm suspicious that the "chicken breast" from seven eleven for 40 Baht was not real chicken. It's so big, and only has 90 calories? Right.... And the consistency was... like you said, you could cut it with a fork. And it didn't have this stringy texture of real chicken meat. Everything was too uniformed.

On 6/23/2018 at 11:37 AM, gamini said:

The Salad bar is good value for money but I don't think they Wash the greens properly. We often had stomach problems after, so We don't eat there any more.

Hmmm, interesting.  I like Sizzlers salad bar, but don't usually eat the lettuce.  Plenty of other stuff.  Maybe that's why I've never gotten sick.  I almost always eat too much, then the meal shows up.  The menu has quite a large variety to choose from, although I wouldn't go for the cheap steak.  I had some tenderloin there once that was quite tender, but the next time I went, not as good.  Anyways, certainly worth a visit for a change-of-pace meal.

34 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I honestly fail to see the appeal of Sizzler. People moved to Thailand to eat such BORING bland food? 

I hear it's much better than the US outlets.

The Vietnamese coleslaw is very good.

The fresh salad bar is extremely refreshing.

13 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I hear it's much better than the US outlets.

The Vietnamese coleslaw is very good.

The fresh salad bar is extremely refreshing.

They still have Sizzlers in the U.S.?

My family ate there a lot when I was growing up. Totally different concept. It was mostly about the fire grilled beef steak and they were good for the low price. Baked potato and a very Basic salad bar, emphasis on the Basic. Definitely a rough cowboy theme. (Fun.) The modern Thai international version appears to be playing a game of being faux semi-upscale and faux frou frou. Kind of like Baskin Robbins, a middle level ice cream in the U.S. but here promoted as a luxury brand. 

Edited by Jingthing

41 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They still have Sizzlers in the U.S.?

My family ate there a lot when I was growing up. Totally different concept. It was mostly about the fire grilled beef steak and they were good for the low price. Baked potato and a very Basic salad bar, emphasis on the Basic. Definitely a rough cowboy theme. (Fun.) The modern Thai international version appears to be playing a game of being faux semi-upscale and faux frou frou. Kind of like Baskin Robbins, a middle level ice cream in the U.S. but here promoted as a luxury brand. 

No idea I just read recently that the sizzlers was aimed at low class areas in US but here it seems to be aimed a bit higher. The salad bar is not bland at all and is popping with a fusion of flavours like the roasted pumpkin salad and the seafood salad (Mrs testifies) compared to pretty much every salad I ate here it's head and shoulders above. 

On 6/23/2018 at 10:17 AM, whaleboneman said:

I don't eat at Sizzler but my gf wanted to try it. She ordered a chicken breast. You could cut it with a fork. She had a bite and insisted i try it as she didn't believe it was chicken. I tried a small bite - no idea what they did to that chicken but I'm pretty sure it wasn't natural. She's never asked to go back.

Seriously? It is just brined. That's all. You can do it yourself. Buy a chicken breast, soak it for a week in your refrigerator in a heavily salted brine and the meat will have a consistency of ham. And yes, you can cut it with a fork.

I'm quite certain it was natural and you are just being paranoid. Not saying that you should go back or that Sizzler is healthy, but don't blame it on a simple cooking technique.

2 hours ago, Monomial said:

Seriously? It is just brined. That's all. You can do it yourself. Buy a chicken breast, soak it for a week in your refrigerator in a heavily salted brine and the meat will have a consistency of ham. And yes, you can cut it with a fork.

I'm quite certain it was natural and you are just being paranoid. Not saying that you should go back or that Sizzler is healthy, but don't blame it on a simple cooking technique.

I'm not paranoid - it tasted like s@#$

• Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 1:27 PM, africasiaeuro said:

A friend of mine has been doing that for over 20 years. It started off with a 69 Baht tag, now it has reached 169 Baht. I am however of the opinion that sizzlers veggies are laden with pesticides, as I always feel very uncomfortable after consumption of their salads and greens.

I am however close to 100 % sure that there is no control over the use of pesticides with their suppliers. ( Roundup ? ).

( When eating greens here in Italy there are no symptoms ).

Sizzler s other options ( bread toasted with cheese ) can be missed. All other foods grilled and likewise aren't worth the money paid.

(Though Thais mostly love Sizzler and and crowd its restaurants.)

Roundup is not a pesticide.

• Like 1

I really can't understand who likes that chickensteak from Sizzlers. 

I like the chopped steaks, aussie chopped steak is great. But we don't go to sizzlers anymore because it's far too busy and far too many crying kids in the restaurant (even from farang).

Still waiting for a copycat of Sizzlers but that seems too hard for the Thai.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/23/2018 at 9:33 AM, franck1972 said:

Well, was so hungry, I spent it at the salad bar recharging 2-3 times, wasn't hungry anymore as the steak arrived.

That's great then! You ask them to give the main meal (steak) as takeaway and you have yourself a 2nd meal for your dinner later on.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2018 at 10:13 AM, jackdd said:

I really like meat, so i want a main dish. But the main dish is so big that i would not need the free salad bar that comes with it.

So my solution is to go with my GF, order one main dish which i share with her and order an extra salad bar, so both of us can use the salad bar. Total price for two is then about 500 THB (for most main dishes) which i consider ok.

Not the best solution at all. Best solution is to takeaway the main meal and only eat the salad bar while there.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 3:55 PM, Rc2702 said:

No idea I just read recently that the sizzlers was aimed at low class areas in US but here it seems to be aimed a bit higher. The salad bar is not bland at all and is popping with a fusion of flavours like the roasted pumpkin salad and the seafood salad (Mrs testifies) compared to pretty much every salad I ate here it's head and shoulders above. 

Sizzlers was always quite expensive back home in my Western country. That's probably why there's only one branch left in the whole state. But in Thailand it's quite cheap really, maybe that's why it's so popular and does well with many branches all over the place.

16 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Sizzlers was always quite expensive back home in my Western country. That's probably why there's only one branch left in the whole state. But in Thailand it's quite cheap really, maybe that's why it's so popular and does well with many branches all over the place.

Probably due to the competition in most other markets.  I would never go to Sizzler when Outback or Longhorn are available

What other steak options do you have in Thailand ?