Keeping birds out of the roof.

james.d

We have a typical roof on our house (single reddish tiles) and I am tiring of jet blasting bird crap from around the house where we have decking and driveway.

I was thinking of getting a local drainpipe installation team to block the large holes in the corners.

Questions:

1. I was going to provide netting that is used for fly-screens to stuff in the holes. Is this suitable and long lasting or another alternative?
2. Do I need to only cover the large holes in the corners or all the way meaning the small holes/ridges? I have not noticed birds entering the small holes but cannot be sure.
3. Any way to ensure birds are not trapped inside during installation? I don't want dead birds in my roof.

Any comment / suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you.

There are products available to fit under the edges of the roof eaves called bird guards or bird combs. normally plastic or metal and in some cases they are fitted so you can't see them. If your house is relatively new and the roof tiles are still available then the shop where they were purchased should stock bird guards specifically designed for your tiles.

bird-guard-fitted-640x480.jpg

vent.jpg

This may be a very low-tech solution, but I found it entirely effective.  Go to EBay and search "scare cat". You'll be presented with an array of cat shaped deterrents which reduced my bird dropping problem to almost zero. I'd like to think the small amount that remained was deposited through sheer terror than as an act of defiance!  If you have artistic skills you could produce something like that yourself.  There is also the scare-hawk option in case your birds think they're some kind of fearless hard variety.

You may find it most effective to relocate these on a regular basis.

Good luck with it.

I suppose there are different birds in the different areas, but the ones here are very tenacious once they decide where their nest will be.  And, they can get through holes that you would think impossible.  I put up tape - they pecked through it.  Al foil, same.  The stuff that sprays in then hardens, same.  Moth balls didn't bother them a bit.  Hanging bottles of water - ha.  I even tried beating on the roof at various times during the day to scare them out - sure enough it scares them out but then come back when they don't see me.  I gave up.

Good luck.

I had same problem when builder replaced the roof and failed to either tell me about the plastic strips to fit at the edges so eventually after trying spray foam ( which the birds just pecked away and returned ) I bought and fitted these . Also because I have pvc guttering I bought large roll of plastic garden netting ( about 15mm diam holes) and then cut strips of about 80/90 cm and rolled them up and placed them in the gutters - keeps the birds and the leaves out ) 

Archived