Gen Prayut confirms Thailand general election in Feb 2019

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, Eligius said:

Yes, I think this 'imminent attack' from terrorists against Prayut and co. is a tried-and-trusted piece of fakery to make the poor guy look like he is under attack and needs our support. He will say:

'You see? Bad people, even abroad, want to stop our new Thai democracy. They don't want the Thai people to have the chance of reforms and a better future, without corruption. What do you want? Do you want these terrorists to rule Thailand? You see what they try to do - even in foreign countries ...'

Worth a try when your backsides hanging out in the breeze.

A good laugh is always useful...

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Eligius said:

'Gen Prayut however, had to cut short his meeting with Thai expats due to a terror warning from security officers.'

Oh, sure! And if it is true - what a little coward. Run, run, run - and hide under the table. What a great, fearless warrior! 

You need to put your reading glasses on an understand who issued the warning. 

It's amazing how fearless you are posting secure and comfy from your little room 

Edited by InMyShadow
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

'The only ones who like the Shins are the farmers if they get bribed enough' ????

You *are* a card...

I know the truth hurts, farmers voted PTP because doubling the rice price.. hard to deny.  Now people who think the rice scheme was good are complaining about Thay niyom (basically a bribe too). You either condemn both or your bias because they are the same.

Just now, KiwiKiwi said:

Let's keep away from casting personal aspersions shall we?

If you've nothing useful to say then it's better to say nothing.

Nice side step. But it takes a keyboard coward to attack a high profile target for not ignoring a real security threat. 

It's pathetic. Tell us what he should have done. Please try to contribute or keep quite because so far you havent added anything useful 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Rob, one of the differences is that Prayut stole power specifically on the pretext of ENDING all populism and corruption. Whatever one may think of Thaksin and Yingluck, they did not STEAL power - nor did they promise to end all populist policies and all corruption.

The Thai people could choose. And they chose the Shinawatras every time - over the militarists.

It does matter to me.. just pointing out the hypocrites, complaining about Thai Niyom (and rightfully so) but not about the rice scheme, that was a vote buying scheme too just like Thai Niyom. You either oppose both or your hypocrite. Its nothing more than money for votes packed a bit differently not to look crude. 

Its strange you try to defend it with steal power.. weak defense IMHO similar policies should be condemned based on what they are not who implemented them. Look up the word bias. I

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, baboon said:

No, the whole thing is rigged either way. Whether he wins or loses is immaterial.

Indeed. there is only 1 way that meaningful change can be made in my opinion, and it isn't at the polls, which, I believe, are every bit as rigged as many believe. Just the one opportunity, and I'm not at all sure the incumbent is sufficiently aware of the one shot at redemption.

For a shot at redemption to really be a shot at redemption, it has to be recognised as a clear shot at redemption.

Edited by KiwiKiwi

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I have discussed politics with quite a few Thai people but what i hear is that there are many people who just don't believe in change. I think they are right.. no matter who is in power the corruption and nepotism will be there. 

So they are not that interested about politics as it just does not change things that much. They have a lot of bad things to say that is for sure.. but the ones i spoke with see no solution. Maybe the new parties.. but the old ones certainly  not. 

I am BKK based so i might get other opinions from those up north. 

from what I saw of the Wifes  village with a sign proclaiming "This  is  a red  village" peer  pressure  will ensure anyone saying any different gets  squashed. Theyre  all crap

40 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I quit responding to your posts but this one I felt it necessary to respond to.

You do not care you are just an antagonist to people of reason.  For the longest time here you supported the junta. Now you say you do not like them. But does not matter they took power with a coup. And compare their actions well in power to elected governments that were taken out by coups.you want to see a hypocrite you in the mirror

I think the majority of people can see a vast difference between the actions of an elected government and a government taken with a gun.

Its ok for you to quit responding because you just don't get it.. same action vote buying with state funds demands the same condemnation. Its the action not how they got in power you seem to think that once people are voted in power they can do what they want. They can not they still have to justify their actions and vote buying like the rice scam is as bad as the vote buying now going on with Thai Niyom.  Anyway you do whatever you can to protect Thaksin. At least i am open minded enough to change my mind. I defended the junta.. until i saw their mistakes. you keep defending the PTP never learning from your mistakes.

Of course a majority of Thais voted for Thaksin's parties, he always offered goodies. Who wouldn't vore for a party that offered tangible benefits to the voter, even if it was a ludicrous policy like the last one ? 15,000 baht for a tonne of rice of any quality.

.But the new constitution forbids any policy that does not spell out exactly where the funds are coming from to run it, as well as the policy's own perceived cost effectiveness.

The Dubai resident is going to have to be altogether more sophisticated to get around this one.Still, he has nothing to do but count birthdays so he has plenty of time to rustle something up.

3 minutes ago, bannork said:

Of course a majority of Thais voted for Thaksin's parties, he always offered goodies. Who wouldn't vore for a party that offered tangible benefits to the voter, even if it was a ludicrous policy like the last one ? 15,000 baht for a tonne of rice of any quality.

.But the new constitution forbids any policy that does not spell out exactly where the funds are coming from to run it, as well as the policy's own perceived cost effectiveness.

The Dubai resident is going to have to be altogether more sophisticated to get around this one.Still, he has nothing to do but count birthdays so he has plenty of time to rustle something up.

Yes the new constitution put an end to that loophole, but the junta is doing it through Thai Niyom. Its hypocritical and wrong, 

We will see what convinces voters.. ideology and trust in parties or the goodies. If the junta gets considerable votes we know what convinces voters. 

1 hour ago, baboon said:

No, the whole thing is rigged either way. Whether he wins or loses is immaterial.

Well the thai people have had 4 years to flood bangkok with millions of protesters ... instead  a few hundred students embarrassed themselves. 

Nothing rigged about that!! 

It will be a landslide and exactly what the thai people want and democratically. 

Edited by InMyShadow

1 hour ago, kannot said:

from what I saw of the Wifes  village with a sign proclaiming "This  is  a red  village" peer  pressure  will ensure anyone saying any different gets  squashed. Theyre  all crap

In 2010 (in Isaan) I'll never forget men in red shirts queuing up for buses to Bangkok, so they could could collect their 500 baht a day "expenses". Time magazine got it right with their front page and swapping one paid for leader with a leader that has been inflicted on the people is not the answer. 

PS kannot sorry for the little rant It's not aimed at you.

51 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

You do know there's a ban on gatherings and people are prohibited and stopped from coming to Bangkok from other provinces?

?

You do know that it never stopped other nations from toppling their "oppressive' government whilst under attack by tanks and bullets. I suggest you do your due diligence. 

Thais are not oppressed so what would they die for? 

Let's not talk freedom of speech rubbish it's only been enforced against a handful of face book posters. 

Thais are more than content with the their peaceful lives. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Gen Prayut confirms Thailand general election in Feb 2019

Settle down folks it is only a Pinocchio confirmation issued by his cardboard cutout. Such is the man, it will surely be forgotten about or denied tomorrow.

images.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

If he loses it would have been because he is incompetent, a fraud and corrupt. 

If he wins then it was clearly rigged. Everybody here is saying it but short on details on how that actually works. 

He will be elected especially since the last 4 years have been a learning curve politically for him. 

I would vote him in for sure, no difference to any other politician except he is already in office. 

Damn that's that's that Thai educational system, rearing it's ugly head again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes the new constitution put an end to that loophole, but the junta is doing it through Thai Niyom. Its hypocritical and wrong, 

We will see what convinces voters.. ideology and trust in parties or the goodies. If the junta gets considerable votes we know what convinces voters. 

In a planned "dumb downed society", I'm going with goodies.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, candide said:

Are you living in another planet?

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2018/country-chapters/thailand

And do you think people forgot what happened a few years ago?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Thai_military_crackdown

Ahaem. Sorry to indicate sources......?

60 million thais enjoying piece and quite is what I see 

History is just that.. History. 

Hopefully there will be a big cull of expats when prayuth gets democratically elected. 

An expat cull is ALWAYS a good thing. 

You know where Suvarnabhumi is right? ?

• Sad 2

Aha, Prayuth says there will be an election in February 2019 but has also said last week that the coronation would take place first before the election but the date of this special event has not been decided by the palace officials yet.

In other words. Prayuth can say Feb 2019 but it can be changed at any time when the coronation date is decided.

Clever for a man who was nothing but a bodyguard. Now he seems to use the most revered, auspicious occassions just to prolong his grip on power.

Power that seems to be absolute. He's playing a dangerous game and one day might get more than his fingers burnt.

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2