New Year Holiday 2007/8

duan

Having experienced a 7 hour trip from Hua Hin to Bangkok on 1/1/2007 I am anxious to avoid a repeat next New Year. Could anyone tell me please what will be the last day of the 2007/8 New Year holiday? Will it be 1 2 or 3 January? In 2007 it was 3 January but the traffic was still awful on 1 Jan but fine on 3 Jan.

I appreciate this is far in advance but I need to book my flight back to Farangland and it is very busy at that time of year.

Many thanks

fly from Hua Hin to Bangkok (but than you might have to change from the domestic to international - if don muang opens in the meantime).

if you book well in advance you can get a good deal - despite new year being peak of the season. The budget airlines might be selling their tickets only a few months in advance, but try them now to see exactly when you have to book.

In Thailand, December 31 and January 1 are statutory holidays. That will be Monday, December 31, 2007 and Tuesday, January 1, 2008. So, nearly everyone will have a four day weekend, from Saturday, December 29 - Tuesday, January 1, inclusive. Travel at other times if you can. Unlike in the west, the concept of paid vacation time is almost unknown in Thailand. For most people, the two major breaks that they get in the year are the four day weekends at New Year's and Songkran (traditional Thai New Year holiday in mid April). This is why public tansportation is so busy at these two times, especially the former, which falls during the high season for foreign tourists visiting Thailand.