I'm happy, but was it a good price to repair?

Crossy

Yes, good for there.

x10 over here, and no, never at a whim on a Sunday... one would have to book it in well in advance for a start unless you knew the mechanic well. Some things just get done so well over there and I hope it never changes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

HA!!!  You should have taken it straight there & maybe put the new battery off for another 6 months or year. 

Indeed, but the battery was at the point where it needed a charge on Friday night to guarantee a start at 5.30 on Saturday for a trip to the market and Makro, it was going to need replacing soon anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

No way in heaven or earth would that happen in the UK (and on a Sunday? You must be joking), but was it a good price for Thailand?

You should have started a thread just asking what would be a good price for the job, without mentioning that you paid already.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Indeed, but the battery was at the point where it needed a charge on Friday night to guarantee a start at 5.30 on Saturday for a trip to the market and Makro, it was going to need replacing soon anyway.

Talk about getting them last but out of it........

• Like 1

New starter solenoid is 120 thb. Starter brushes cost 30 thb. Should not take more time than 2 hours to repair. 240 thb. Total ~ 400 thb. So at 1800 thb you will have been charged the Farang price... 

Compare this to Holland the above is very cheap still:
New starter solenoid costs € 36. Starter brushes replace not possible in Holland (due to guarantee), they will use a new Starter of around € 400.
2 hours to repair. € 120 each hour on a Sunday, so € 240 
Total ex TAX. € 676.

Had my d-max serviced (each 7500 km) at Isuzu 2 months ago. Oil and filters change, total checkup, rear brake shoes replaced, front wheelbearings regreased and adjusted. Sorry, but for 4800 thb total, I am not getting myself wet... ?

I am happy to live in Thailand, and I still do some repairs myself, just of the fun of it. 

3 minutes ago, johng said:

Are you sure ? 120 baht seems too cheap to me...maybe for a starter motor relay ?
Solenoid for my Toyota was 780 baht and starter relay 240 baht.

To clarify, we are talking about the lump on top of the starter motor that pulls the gear into the flywheel and then connects the motor to the battery.

Oh, and no farang involvement, all dealings with k. Spanner were via my good lady and her son.

19 minutes ago, Crossy said:

To clarify, we are talking about the lump on top of the starter motor that pulls the gear into the flywheel and then connects the motor to the battery.

Oh, and no farang involvement, all dealings with k. Spanner were via my good lady and her son.

Solenoid.....

1 minute ago, pgrahmm said:

Solenoid.....

Yes, but some, er, older, members (myself included) could refer to the starter relay as the "solenoid" which is associated with the Bendix type starter engaging thingy.

This chap.

9c8a60604f15f6b7fe3d70440101e42015139229

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

it was your weak battery that created the problem in the first place . 

low voltage is the number one cause of pitting on the solenoid contacts . 

so ,yes you screwed your self .

• Like 1

I would never complain about the cost of any car repair in Thailand, because labor costs are so much cheaper than in Australia.

I have a mechanic in Chiang Rai that services my car every 5000 km, 900 - 1000 baht each time. Overservicing perhaps. However, my ageing car has never let me down.

57 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yes, but some, er, older, members (myself included) could refer to the starter relay as the "solenoid" which is associated with the Bendix type starter engaging thingy.

This chap.

9c8a60604f15f6b7fe3d70440101e42015139229

This, to me, is a starter relay....?

6 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

This, to me, is a starter relay....?

6 hours ago, transam said:

It's a solenoid, and the pic looks like a remote one for a Mk2 Cortina...:stoner:

Exactly my meaning above ?