I'm happy, but was it a good price to repair?

Crossy

6 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Yeah - both terms work.....We called that a starter relay on Fords.....

The one on my 19XX Moggie 1000 didn't even have the solenoid bit, wire linkage to a pull knob on the dash, just like modern cars push pull to start ?

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

The one on my 19XX Moggie 1000 didn't even have the solenoid bit, wire linkage to a pull knob on the dash, just like modern cars push pull to start ?

YOU  were the solenoid !!!!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Weeeeeell, the ignition key when you turn it connects to a relay, that in turn provides a bit more power to activate/switch the solenoid for the big power to turn the starter...But am sure folk from different parts of the globe call stuff differently...:stoner:

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

.....and a cranking handle....:stoner:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, transam said:

.....and a cranking handle....:stoner:

Despite numerous attempts, I never did get it to start on the handle, easier to roll it down the convenient slope outside the house.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Despite numerous attempts, I never did get it to start on the handle, easier to roll it down the convenient slope outside the house.

Done that a few times up hill....bored.gif.56a779b941aea409c921b63681d35050.gif

Just remembered, my 1959 Mini had a push button on the floor to start the thing...

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Weeeeeell, the ignition key when you turn it connects to a relay, that in turn provides a bit more power to activate/switch the solenoid for the big power to turn the starter...But am sure folk from different parts of the globe call stuff differently...:stoner:

And there was one universal word that threw fear all over the globe......

L U C A S

Thanks for that.....

Screenshot_2018-06-25-17-46-55-17.png

Screenshot_2018-06-25-17-46-39-91.png

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, transam said:

It's a solenoid, and the pic looks like a remote one for a Mk2 Cortina...:stoner:

Could be, so who (not you Trans) knows what the blade connector on the right-hand terminal is for?

6 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

And there was one universal word that threw fear all over the globe......

L U C A S

Actually, the Italians went one better with Magneti Marelli, Lucas on steroids.

A mate had a Ducati 250 Desmo, it would start first kick with ice hanging off the cylinder, but then the ice melted ...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Could be, so who (not you Trans) knows what the blade connector on the right-hand terminal is for?

Well I jest you not but my mega HP fun ridehad one of those Mk2 remote solenoids, the integrated one on the starter got so hot at times it would not work, so l bypassed it to one hidden in the inner wing space. The connection on the right is a spare live feed for ones under hood gizmos, of course using an inline fuse.... ...

6 hours ago, transam said:

The connection on the right is a spare live feed for ones under hood gizmos, of course using an inline fuse.... ...

Nope!

I did say not you Trans ?

Hint, it's (supposed to be) on the starter side of the solenoid/relay/thingy, left terminal goes to the battery.

One factor that makes mechanical repair back home (don't know about Europe so correct me if wrong)

is the use of the Flat- Rate Book. Your repair took 2 hours and you were charged for 2. Back home you look it up and if the FRB says 5 hours the garage charges 5. My brother always laughed at the Flat Rate Book saying 6 hours Re and Re VW air cooled engine. He could have one out and back in in 45 minutes! World record is 1 minute 10 seconds!

27 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Actually, the Italians went one better with Magneti Marelli, Lucas on steroids.

A mate had a Ducati 250 Desmo, it would start first kick with ice hanging off the cylinder, but then the ice melted ...

Around 1995 I bought a second hand Royal Enfield 500 Bullet. It was delivered to me from Cornwall to Plymouth in a pickup , the driver said it wouldn't arrive at my house under its own power. Had about 16.000 miles on the clock.  Yes it did keep stopping , 20 miles and it needed a rest. After a new plug new points and a new capacitor nothing improved , only thing left was the Lucas coil.  A bike 3 years old with that mileage and it was the blasted coil. After that 'til I got over here in 2005 it started first kick hot or cold .

5 hours ago, Tacuisse said:

I would never complain about the cost of any car repair in Thailand, because labor costs are so much cheaper than in Australia.

I have a mechanic in Chiang Rai that services my car every 5000 km, 900 - 1000 baht each time. Overservicing perhaps. However, my ageing car has never let me down.

I do not complain also, but service at Benz Thailand costs me as much as Benz EU...

9 hours ago, johng said:

Are you sure ? 120 baht seems too cheap to me...maybe for a starter motor relay ?
Solenoid for my Toyota was 780 baht and starter relay 240 baht.

Ok, that one is indeed more expensive. Both are called startersolenoids, Startersolenoidrelay is the one remote from the starter, startersolenoidswitch is the one attached to the bendix, that makes the difference  . Made this mistake. 780 baht is a fair price in this case.

Edited by tonboy
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 6:32 PM, toofarnorth said:

Around 1995 I bought a second hand Royal Enfield 500 Bullet. It was delivered to me from Cornwall to Plymouth in a pickup , the driver said it wouldn't arrive at my house under its own power. Had about 16.000 miles on the clock.  Yes it did keep stopping , 20 miles and it needed a rest. After a new plug new points and a new capacitor nothing improved , only thing left was the Lucas coil.  A bike 3 years old with that mileage and it was the blasted coil. After that 'til I got over here in 2005 it started first kick hot or cold .

What was the actual year of the bike...?

On 6/25/2018 at 5:24 PM, pgrahmm said:

I'm feeling pedantic! 

If the device is used to switch the high current to turn the starter which then throws out the Bendix technically that would be a relay as it switched electrical current. But yes could be confused with the first relay to take the current across the ignition switch

rotax-max-evo-starter-relay.jpg

If the device is mounted on the starter motor and is used to retract a lever which has a yoke which moves the starter gear into mesh with the flywheel gear technically that is a solenoid. As it involves mechanical movement not electrical switching.  

starter-motor-500x500.jpg

My father's tractor had a starter trowel which was used to short the contacts on the relay. 

Edited by VocalNeal
<deleted> pictures wouldn't work
  • Thanks 1