What non-Thai foods did you start eating after you moved to Thailand?

Jingthing

21 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

It didn't say we had not to have eaten them before.   I took it to mean we moved here and failed to live/survive on just Thai food and went looking for the things we couldn't live without.  P.S.  I admit that I had never tried Yorkies sausages before coming to Thailand.  Today's secret. (Most Americans just may have sampled buffalo wings elsewhere so I guess I am not the only one who read it that way.)  I have a bread maker, a real oven, coffee plungers a tioaster and a slow cooker. Life is hard but "I not complain!!!!!"

Yorkies sausages? Any good? I really miss sausages from the UK.

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Then go away from it. If nobody is interested in it, it will fade away naturally. Heckling is OBNOXIOUS. 

Stamping your feet and shouting? Calm down.

3 minutes ago, grollies said:

Yorkies sausages? Any good? I really miss sausages from the UK.

Mostly pretty good.  The old guy who started it is dead now but they carry on.  Guess where he came from. 555   Among the best you will find here.  On the web. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

An Indian dishes that I tried for the first time in Thailand and liked well enough to order again ---

Reshmi chicken kabab 

(Chicken is first marinated in cashews, cream, and mild spices)

I usually prefer super hot and spicy Indian food but I get it now, not all Indian dishes are supposed to be spicy. 

Oh ok so I tried this US style burger called carls Jr but it was not for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grollies said:

You think Weetabix is bad, you should try Shredded Wheat.

I suppose if your previous breakfast cereal was Coco Pops, Weet Bix might taste a bit bland, but add a banana and some raisins, very healthy, and tastes good too.

• Like 1

Tempura Ramen in Japanese restaurants. Kim Pab and Kimchi in Korean restaurants. Spaghetti Marinara - the Alpaca restaurant in Chiang Mai makes the best. Corned beef sandwiches at Butter is Better. Probably 30% of my diet - the rest is typical Thai.

• Like 1

Well, speaking of breakfast cereals, I am regularly eating 100 percent unsweetened puffed CORN. It's imported from the USA but I had never had it there (there I ate puffed rice, a bit ironic).

Arrowhead Mills Cereal, Puffed Corn, 6 oz. (Pack of 12)

I've wondered why Thailand doesn't produce plain puffed rice cereal. It would be cheap and healthy as not imported. I guess that's the reason! 

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, observer90210 said:

Indian food is great...but the better indian restaurants in Bangkok and in other parts of Thailand are plainly run by a bunch of cheats with their overcharged inflated prices....

That may be so but massala art is a top notch Indian restaurant.

15 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I suppose if your previous breakfast cereal was Coco Pops, Weet Bix might taste a bit bland, but add a banana and some raisins, very healthy, and tastes good too.

As a kid my favourite snack was Weetabix with butter and Mum's homemade marmalade. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

That may be so but massala art is a top notch Indian restaurant.

Very true and the decor is pleasant. But considering the rock bottom low salaries, taxes or other operating expenses of these entrepreneurs, they are just cheating with their prices. Indian restaurants in Europe, of similar quality of food, sometimes are cheaper or of the same cost then those in Thailand....something is definately wrong....IMHO naturally !

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Please read the O.P.

Your post has nothing to do with this topic.

It is not about restaurant reviews. 

Jeez- are you going to dissect EVERY frikkin post in the thread?

• Haha 1

Never had Burmese food before arriving in Thailand. Now making our own fermented tea leaf salad, it seems to satisfy a craving I didn’t even know I had!*

Had had a little gotu kola before (Asian Centenella, pennywort, by bua bok) but it is now a near staple.

Having the owner at an Italian restaurant (or three) offer us some lemoncello (an alcoholic drink) after we finished our meal introduced me to that new ‘food’.

* I suppose it was a craving for Tea Leaf Salad lol

1 minute ago, islandguy said:

Having the owner at an Italian restaurant (or three) offer us some lemoncello (an alcoholic drink) after we finished our meal introduced me to that new ‘food’.

If that's the case I'd never had Leo before.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Very true and the decor is pleasant. But considering the rock bottom low salaries, taxes or other operating expenses of these entrepreneurs, they are just cheating with their prices. Indian restaurants in Europe, of similar quality of food, sometimes are cheaper or of the same cost then those in Thailand....something is definately wrong....IMHO naturally !

Not sure I mean I imagine the rent is very high and I doubt they are paying the base rate for staff. Indian restaurants are very rare where I am and the ones I have seen online have all disappeared. It's odd I think as farang love Indian food so I'd have thought this could be sustainable.

Marmite. Never eaten before. I love Vegemite but couldn't get it here in Ayutthaya. We went to the "thieves market" near Sena one day and there was some Marmite. For me Vegemite is given 10/10 while I give Marmite 8.5. As for the market, prices jumped as it became more popular.

9 minutes ago, newatthis said:

Marmite. Never eaten before. I love Vegemite but couldn't get it here in Ayutthaya. We went to the "thieves market" near Sena one day and there was some Marmite. For me Vegemite is given 10/10 while I give Marmite 8.5. As for the market, prices jumped as it became more popular.

Better you than me but I think you were at least half way there loving Vegemite already. I can't bring myself to even taste either. 

Edited by Jingthing

9 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Haggis suppers; back in the day, back in the Old Country, I’d not touch a haggis supper with a pickled onion skewer, but now it’s my first culinary stop whenever I repatriate

You had Haggis in Thailand? :stoner:

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No  - I'm not sure you can legally import it  for human consumption.  But since moving to The Kingdom, it's been top of my list of must-eats whenever temporarily repatriating to The Old Country.  

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

No  - I'm not sure you can legally import it  for human consumption.  But since moving to The Kingdom, it's been top of my list of must-eats whenever temporarily repatriating to The Old Country.  

A few mating pairs escaped when being transported from Scotland to the Dusit Zoo.

Of course, the haggis is a protected species. If you see one on a menu here, it's almost certainly "poached".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1